Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Hi all,

Today, while installing a charging pad, I had to pop up the upper facia of the center console, the piece with the cup holders. I found that there is a pair of wires connected to this part and that there is a light ring wrapped around the outside of each cup holder, half way up from the bottom. But here is the odd part - my truck does not have illuminated cup holders. It is as if Ford installs all of the needed gear but not the holes needed for the light to pass into the cup holders.

Does this make any sense?
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Likely a mid-production run delete. Maybe see if they light up and if so then winner winner. Either notch the existing trim to let light through or see if there's a different trim plate with holes in it.

Just curious, how hard was it to pull that trim plate off? Got me curious on mine. :unsure:

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Likely a mid-production run delete. Maybe see if they light up and if so then winner winner. Either notch the existing trim to let light through or see if there's a different trim plate with holes in it.

Just curious, how hard was it to pull that trim plate off? Got me curious on mine. :unsure:
Not hard but the two side trim pieces have to be removed first. Get a trim removal tool.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Nice. Already have those (y)

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Nice. Already have those (y)
It looks like I overlooked something rather big. The console also needs to be unbolted and slide back to get the top off. The console is bolted in place with six 10 mm bolts and you have to remove the lower side panels to to that.

I don’t know what kind of Loktight Ford uses but it is strong. I literally twisted two bolt heads off trying to remove them. I had to drill out the broken bolts and that really sucked. There is simply no reason for that. The bolts sounded like I was removing head bolts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the tip. This just became a Saturday project instead of after work thing. :ROFLMAO:

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Hi all,

Today, while installing a charging pad, I had to pop up the upper facia of the center console, the piece with the cup holders. I found that there is a pair of wires connected to this part and that there is a light ring wrapped around the outside of each cup holder, half way up from the bottom. But here is the odd part - my truck does not have illuminated cup holders. It is as if Ford installs all of the needed gear but not the holes needed for the light to pass into the cup holders.

Does this make any sense?
Curious...what was build date for your truck and did it come out of Kansas City or Detroit?

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Curious...what was build date for your truck and did it come out of Kansas City or Detroit?
I think it was 9/22/21 and it was built in Dearborn.

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
whats the details on your truck? you have a 21 according to your signature, 21s still had lighted cup holders. if you have a lariat then you have ambient lighting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
whats the details on your truck? you have a 21 according to your signature, 21s still had lighted cup holders. if you have a lariat then you have ambient lighting.
XLT

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
so you heres what happened most likely. they accidently put a lighted cup holder in your truck. the wiring isnt there to add it in.
But there is wiring that plugs into the cup holder trim piece. Unless that plug does something else. It only has two wires and I assume it is for power to something. Maybe I should pull it all apart again and to some testing.

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
can you take pictures? the ambient lights have 3 wires. unless the wiring youre talking about is for the antenna for the key fob? are you a push button start truck?