First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Powerboost XLT
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
Bought a new 2021 F150 Powerboost a few years ago. 6 year Ford Protect extended warranty.
Just traded it in on a new 2024 F150 5.0 (different dealer).
Cancelled the extended warranty and only got approx half the money refunded.
My Powerboost was still under 3 years old and had 15,500 miles on it. So the extended warranty didn't even kick yet.
I called Ford warranty and they said to check section 8 of the contract, all I had was the receipt. But apparently you are being charged for your extended contract right from the beginning, even though you won't get to use it for 3 years or 36,000 miles.
Told her I would keep that in mind next time I was offered a Ford extended warranty.
Went with a different branded extended warranty with my local dealer on the new truck. Hoping to keep one of my new Ford F150's long term, but they always come up short.
Is this cash grab normal? I think it's pretty shabby business if you ask me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
Ford's extended warranty has always coincided with their 3/36k factory warranty and then thereafter.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Just a couple of things here.

If you do not plan on keeping a vehicle longer than 5 or 6 years, it will probably be a waste of money for any ESP. Probably.

Ford ESP will refund some money for a prorated amount if you cancel it, but it will never be a situation where you say "I did not use it so I want most, if not all of it back". Yours was 6 years and the truck was a 2021 so actually I was surprised they gave you half back. MY 2025's are right around the corner.

If you bought an ESP (any ESP) from the dealer and not a discount broker of ESP's (Granger, Ziegler, etc) you will probably get raked over the coals, especially if it is not an official manufacturer ESP and is some 3rd party ESP. ESP's are always cash grabs, unless you need it. That is the flip of the coin. Homeowners insurance is also a cash grab waste of money unless your house burns down, then you are glad you had it. It is your comfort level with risk you are paying for.

IMHO I would contact the dealer and terminate that 3rd party ESP and contact Granger about an official Ford ESP. But again, if you plan to get rid of this new 2024 in 4, 5, 6 years, then you are probably better off keeping your money.

Good luck with the 2024!

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I find it is helpful to look all insurance, especially extended warranties, as bets with Insurance companies and they have the advantage and always will.

They have teams of accountants and lawyers, who draw up, price and defend these bets and a couple thousand years of experience.

Its not an evil scheme, its just the way insurance works.

They're betting they can sell enough policies, at less than potential full payout, while getting the money in advance and reinvest it, keeping those gains, before they have to payout any back to you.

It is a competitive business. It is also highly regulated. Both of those help to work to the consumer's advantage.

I haven't decided what I'll do but whatever it is, will almost certainly be through Granger and won't be too soon.

Fox146

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
It would be nice if they clarified a bit better on the time periods of the warranty. I guess when bought at day one an 8 year extended warranty makes sense as to how it’s added but in my case I bought my warranty at the end of the factory warranty period. I had to keep reminding myself I was buying a “5 year” warranty that added up to 8 years as I bought the truck used

Sponsored

Dakar09

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat 5.0L
How does it work if you buy one from Granger after you take delivery of the truck from another dealer?

mau47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 502A Powerboost FX4
How does it work if you buy one from Granger after you take delivery of the truck from another dealer?
You can purchase from here: https://grangerfordextendedwarranty.com/ I did this about 4 months after taking delivery, it was very smooth, basically bought it online, had the contract within a couple hours. I was on the fence about it, I have had some weird electrical gremlins out of the gate and figured for the minimal cost I would pick it up to ensure everything is covered.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
The ESP is bought for the VIN of your truck and that is Ford extending the warranties until you cancel it, or it expires. It follows the vehicle regardless of who you bought it from and is covered by any Ford dealerships service department.

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
Ford recommends giving a loaner during the 3 36 but it's subject to 'availably'.. Most dealer's are good about it but not all. The Enhanced first day rental option on a ESP really protects you if your truck has problems. I decided on that and getting one period because I'm buying from Granger and not a local dealer. I will have just one vehicle and must have one to drive no matter what issues happen if the new truck needs work.

Dakar09

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat 5.0L
I know how an ESP works guys, lol! I was wondering how it works to buy one from a different dealer than the truck and not at the same time you take delivery. Thanks, @mau47 !

Sponsored

bdginmo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150, 2017 Explorer, 2015 Fusion Energi
Occupation
Software Engineer
I know how an ESP works guys, lol! I was wondering how it works to buy one from a different dealer than the truck and not at the same time you take delivery. Thanks, @mau47 !
If it's a genuine Ford Protect ESP then it doesn't matter who you buy it from. It attaches to the VIN regardless. All dealers can see that you have it and will charge you for repair work in accordance with the terms of the ESP. I've never even had to tell a dealer I had it. They just automatically know it's there.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Night a new 2021 F150 Powerboost a few years ago. 6 year Ford Protect extended warranty.
My Powerboost was still under 3 years old and had 15,500 miles on it. So the extended warranty didn't even kick yet.
I called Ford warranty and they said to check section 8 of the contract, all I had was the receipt. But apparently you are being charged for your extended contract right from the beginning, even though you won't get to use it for 3 years or 36,000 miles.
Told her I would keep that in mind next time I was offered a Ford extended warranty.
Went with a different branded extended warranty with my local dealer on the new truck. Hoping to keep one of my new Ford F150's long term, but they always come up short.
I am curious what the cancellation clause is on the off brand extended warranty is, does it really have better terms for cancellation?

fatBatman

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 King Ranch
Night a new 2021 F150 Powerboost a few years ago. 6 year Ford Protect extended warranty.
There's a lot to unpack here and some of the ownness falls on you. The 6 year ESP warranty you purchased does not start after your 3/36 runs out. If it did, that would be a 9 year warranty. The ESP starts on the day you take possession of the truck. Depending on when you took delivery, you may have been halfway through your term and this would explain why you only received half of your money back.
As to the "shabby business" aspect, if all you have is a receipt from your purchase in 2021, yeah I'd call that shabby from your original dealer for not providing you with all of the documentation and/or not informing you of all of the conditions. Or do you mean that your current dealership offered a third party ESP and not a genuine Ford ESP is "shabby"? Why doesn't your current Ford dealer offer a Ford ESP??? I could go on about all of this ultimately being your responsibility as a consumer to protect your pocket book but we all know people seldom take criticism well especially on a public forum.
As a whole though, is the ESP a money grab? That depends on you, how many miles you drive, and how long you plan to keep the truck. Still, you bought a 3rd party ESP with this last purchase and I promise you that warranty, despite whatever your dealer told you, will not be accepted by 90%+ of the Ford dealers out there. This is a money grab. If a Ford dealer doesn't sell a Ford ESP and choses to sell someone else's, this is a red flag for me about the entire dealership.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SgtBFGunner

SgtBFGunner

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Powerboost XLT
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
There's a lot to unpack here and some of the ownness falls on you. The 6 year ESP warranty you purchased does not start after your 3/36 runs out. If it did, that would be a 9 year warranty. The ESP starts on the day you take possession of the truck. Depending on when you took delivery, you may have been halfway through your term and this would explain why you only received half of your money back.
As to the "shabby business" aspect, if all you have is a receipt from your purchase in 2021, yeah I'd call that shabby from your original dealer for not providing you with all of the documentation and/or not informing you of all of the conditions. Or do you mean that your current dealership offered a third party ESP and not a genuine Ford ESP is "shabby"? Why doesn't your current Ford dealer offer a Ford ESP??? I could go on about all of this ultimately being your responsibility as a consumer to protect your pocket book but we all know people seldom take criticism well especially on a public forum.
As a whole though, is the ESP a money grab? That depends on you, how many miles you drive, and how long you plan to keep the truck. Still, you bought a 3rd party ESP with this last purchase and I promise you that warranty, despite whatever your dealer told you, will not be accepted by 90%+ of the Ford dealers out there. This is a money grab. If a Ford dealer doesn't sell a Ford ESP and choses to sell someone else's, this is a red flag for me about the entire dealership.
Firstly, thanks for your feedback.
I hear you on the 6 year thing. The "shabby" part is being charged by the warranty company for 3 years that it had no responsibility to cover anything. But I will assume that if I went to buy the 3 additional years at the end of the factory 3 years, it would cost a bunch more? But yes, when I traded the 2021 in, it was just about the 3 year mark.
I realize it's my responsibility to protect my pocket book. Just find it difficult to do in the heat of battle. It's always something. And if they don;t get you "here" they just tack it on to "there". I hate the whole process. But these guys are my local Ford dealer, and the salesman at least, seems to be taking care of me. The Finance guy, who knows.
So yes, I ended up with a "Safe-Drive" (or Safe-Guard here in FL) extended warranty. Platinum coverage for 84 months/75000 miles, $0 deductible. It appears that Safe-Guard has "good" ratings and is the OEM extended warranty for several manufacturers.
I was confident I needed an extended warranty on my first year 2021 Powerboost hybrid F150. (Wonder what the electronic portion of the transmission would cost out of pocket?). Powerboost turned out to be a creaky, bucket that confused my dealer. Seems they never had the time or knowledge to actually work on hybrid issues/questions (which is how I ended up in these forums).
I am looking to keep a new Ford F150 long term, but it's always something, and I get rid of it while it still has good value. 2014 F150 5.0 suspicious rear end clunk, get me a 2017 F150 5.0. 2017 5.0 starts making low end engine noises at start up (like piston slap, or a large round ball bearing knocking around in there until oil pressure got up)(dealer claimed t was the normal "typerwriter noise" and was fine) traded that one in on the 2021 F150 Powerboost (5.0's were hard to find at that time). Now the Powerboost sounds like a 90 year old man suspension or parts creaking and squeaking, trans pump problem, over air updates failing, dealer not know how to deal with these things but would try. Figured it was time to go at 3 years again. Best trade in value, low mileage. So now my 2024 F150 5.0, new. Hoping I got a good one this time. My buddies blaming it all on the Ford brand. Diehard Ford guy here.
So, I can still cancel my "Safe-Drive/Guard" and go with Ford's "Protect", or put the money aside (yeah, right) for repair costs in the future.
I am a retired, motorcycle guy, so my truck mileage is low. Ergo 15000 miles in 3 years. I hope this new truck last me many many years... hasn't been my experience.
Thanks for reading the ramblings if you're still reading this.

franksfords

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150,2007 Explorer,2018 Explorer,2023 F150
Occupation
computer technician
the Ford Protect is actually based on when vehicle was put in service. if you bought January 1 and purchase a 10 year plan December 31 that will actually give you 9 years of coverage.
Sponsored