Ford Performance Supercharger

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
If I wasn't knee deep into turboing my Mustang, my truck would have a Whipple right now. :D I also have my Galant which satisfied my speed urges.

There is no need to supercharge a platform that already has forced induction (turbos) from the factory. You can turn the boost up (tune) and/or upgrade turbos for more power. I am not sure if anyone has tested the limits of the shortblock yet on these trucks. It's not a stupid question.
From my understanding the limit on the 3.5 EcoBoost block is about 650-700 horsepower, the limit on the 5.0L V8 block is about 1,000 horsepower.

You can push either further with aftermarket blocks, neither have the bore spacing or webbing to go much further on the stock setups.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Syclone Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 5.0L Screw 3.73 BAP
I suggest you call the FP tech line and/or Whipple tech line. I even suggest you call Lethal Performance or Beefcake Racing. All of these guys have knowledge or first hand experience with the superchargers. They are helpful and understanding. Sure they want to sell you something, but I never once felt them pushing me.

I tow as well and had questions. The short answer is, yes, you can still tow. The SC does not increase towing capacity, but it will increase torque in the lower RPM range. Like when you pull the boat up the boat ramp or just maneuvering a trailer in a parking lot. Based on the FP power curves and folks I've talked to, you will notice a difference the moment you press the accelerator. Oddly enough, it took several phone calls and emails to just get that answer. Most sources must think I just want to mash the accelerator, roast the tires, grin ear to ear.

What pushed me to wanna SC? A 1/2 mile 10% grade. My 5.0 was not happy about pulling my 4K lbs. boat up that hill and I'll leave it at that.

I went with the FP kit simply because it has less HP/TQ, less means less risk of breaking something.... I don't know, I'm guessing sure, but the folks I spoke with claim the FP tune is very conservative.

The other thing I learned from several sources, let the CATs cool down. They compared it to letting a turbo cool down after a long haul or pull up long grades, etc. Some of this is common sense... don't floor the boosted truck with 8K lbs. attached and expect it to climb Mt Everest :unsure:
Thank you for the detailed response. I too have read that the FP tune is conservative and that is what I am looking for. I still want my truck to be as reliable as it can be with the extra power. I don't need the absolute most power I can get, just want more than stock. 700hp and 590ft lbs is plenty and if Ford Performance determines that is the power where its fairly reliable, that is all I want. I will take your advice and call FP and get an answer, just sucks to call in when all I need is an email response.

OP
OP

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I use to tow with my 01 Lightning years ago, ever an issue. Believe it was rated at 5,000 lbs.
I don't see how SC the truck would negate towing capabilities.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I still want my truck to be as reliable as it can be with the extra power.
I say this same thing and some times I think I sound selfish..... more power and reliable in the same context ;)
just sucks to call in when all I need is an email response.
It does and this day and age seems like folks would rather answer IM or email vs talking on the phone. I will add that FP never responded to my emails. Whipple, Lethal Performance, Beefcake, above and beyond! I have pages and pages of emails, not to mention if I had to pay for long distance I'd be more broke than I am now. Truly unbelievable customer/tech support, nice people too.

Not to mention this forum and a couple others, invaluable experiences, tales, lies, how-tos, what I did different, incredible amount of data. Some good, some trying to be good, some not very good, but you know this already :)

Let us know if we can help. I'm still waiting for my kit. I'm sure with the new FP700 announcement there's a back log of requests.....

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Is that 0-60 in 3.93 seconds!?! Man that's quick!

OP
OP

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quick yes but there's so much more potential in that truck. Whipple conservative that's for sure.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I hear the same about their tune and the Ford Performance tune is even more conservative. Why are they conservative? Over load the components on the truck (drive shaft, differentials, etc) and/or engine, things like that?

OP
OP

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Canned tune wanting to be safe especially when they offer a warranty. Failures are bad publicity.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I was curious, since the Ford Performance/Whipple kit is a Whipple Stage 1, I wondered if owners could "upgrade" to the Whipple tune. Turns out you can, but beware you will void the Ford Performance warrantee of course.

KingDavid

First Name
Dah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 4×4 5.0
From my understanding the limit on the 3.5 EcoBoost block is about 650-700 horsepower, the limit on the 5.0L V8 block is about 1,000 horsepower.

You can push either further with aftermarket blocks, neither have the bore spacing or webbing to go much further on the stock setups.
AMLR appears to have gone 1132whp recently.
Sponsored