Ford Performance Supercharger

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
So, has anyone done their 21/22?
Anyone had it done in Ontario, Canada?

Thinking about doing it. Not a stranger to boosted F150s so I know the joy! My only hesitation is that I put a ton of miles on my truck every year. Other option would be to go 5star with their preprogrammed tune for a touch more joy out of the truck.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How about the Roush unit? Any feedback in reliability etc? Anyone know of some roush higher mileage trucks?

I can get the Roush installed tomorrow, readily available

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
How about the Roush unit? Any feedback in reliability etc? Anyone know of some roush higher mileage trucks?

I can get the Roush installed tomorrow, readily available
I don't know much about superchargers on the trucks, but with Mustangs, there were, from my perspective, more people using Roush SC's than there were FP or Whipple SCs. They were more or less issue free to the best of my knowledge and, all things being equal, were generally on par with, or better than the FP/Whipple SC. I would have zero hesitation running a Roush SC

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I thought whipple was the supplier for Ford Performance now. Those two might be the same SC with a different sticker

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I thought whipple was the supplier for Ford Performance now. Those two might be the same SC with a different sticker
Whipple has historically been the FP supplier, but I haven't looked into it for a couple of years. I just assumed it was still the same

Sponsored

OP
OP

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, Whipple is FP now.

My local authorized dealer says they had a few issues with the FP shelbys and his suspicion is the FP tune is a bit off.

Says his Roush installs were problem free, so far.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Yes, Whipple is FP now.

My local authorized dealer says they had a few issues with the FP shelbys and his suspicion is the FP tune is a bit off.

Says his Roush installs were problem free, so far.
I would listen to the guy that deals with them frequently. To the best of my knowledge, the Roush unit is less expensive as well

I know you're looking from real world user info, but an overwhelming majority of members on here will never mod their truck further than wheel well liners, wheels, and a stubby antenna, along with some skull or American flag stickers.

That or they only joined to bitch about long wait times and will never mod anything

OP
OP

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, out the door it's about 2k less than the FP.

My only hesitation is the amount of miles I log.

Oh, warranty also not applicable unless dealer installs BEFORE you take delivery.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Yes, out the door it's about 2k less than the FP.

My only hesitation is the amount of miles I log.

Oh, warranty also not applicable unless dealer installs BEFORE you take delivery.
Your only hesitation about choosing roush over FP, or hesitation with supercharger install as a whole?

I wouldn't worry as much about mileage as how hard you plan to beat on it/how heavy your foot is on a day to day basis. The 5.0's and 10R80's have been proven to be quite robust, keep the tune on the conservative side and I wouldn't worry about much

OP
OP

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mileage as a whole, I can put anywhere from 30-50k miles a year on my truck if I really had to.

Familiar with treatment of SC vehicles. Had a Lightning for years that I built and currently have an 03 HD F150. Selling my HD cuz it doesn't really get used but without my "toy" truck, I'm considering doing the 5.0

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Mileage as a whole, I can put anywhere from 30-50k miles a year on my truck if I really had to.

Familiar with treatment of SC vehicles. Had a Lightning for years that I built and currently have an 03 HD F150. Selling my HD cuz it doesn't really get used but without my "toy" truck, I'm considering doing the 5.0
Yea, that is a lot more miles than I would've thought haha. Then really it comes down to what do you want? I think it would affect resale value a lot more than engine performance/degradation, so long as you maintain it properly and aren't always pushing the boost/RPMs. But I know stock mustang blocks and trans have been able to hold 700-800 HP reliably. I'm guessing you would probably want it closer to low to mid 600's if it's a DD.

OP
OP

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I usually flip my DD truck yearly. This one is a little different since I've done so much to it already; lowered, 24s, exhaust etc.

I plan on keeping this one, if anything, grab another Maverick or something when there's stock again in addition to this.

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
I have a Roush kit on my ‘22 truck. I ordered the truck from a ford dealer that does a lot with roush. they also carry and install the whipple/FP kits.
i have had 2 gen 2 lightnings, an ‘03 F150 HD and a 2014 F150 with a roush supercharger kit. my brother put ~105,000 miles on his 2014 Roush rt570.

the whipple kit from ford is more $ than the roush kit and has slightly less power…700 vs 705 hp, probably not noticeable.
you can buy a whipple stage 2 kit that is 775hp but it is a also more expensive and then you have to buy the warranty from whipple separately. and that warranty has $$ limits on claims. like $x,xxx for engine and $x,xxx for drive train (it’s all in their manual. i don’t remember the #’s)
roush warranty is 3yr/36,000 mile and included in the cost and i’m ~99% sure that if you are within the 3yr/36 window and have the roush kit installed by a roush dealer or ASE mechanic, you keep the remainder of the warranty.

i went roush based on my experiences with them and i believe their kit is better engineered/tested. for example, during testing, roush had harmonics in the engine that they didn’t like so they designed their own harmonic balancer.

there have been people that had issues with the whipple kits leaking from the intercooler, the one in the valley of the block that is under pressure, and that coolant got into some cylinders and destroyed their engine

there is a video on youtube where a dealer compared a whipple stage 2 (775hp) truck with a similar roush (705hp) truck and the roush was within 40rwhp of the whipple truck on the same dyno on the same day. i know it’s not a perfect comparison but it’s close enough for me.

my blower was installed when the truck had 25 miles on it. i’m at 475 miles now so i can’t say what my longevity will be. but i’m not loosing any sleep over it. yes it’s my daily driver

my truck is a RCSB 4x4 with 3.73 gears (locking diff). within a weak of brining it home i lowered ~3” in the front ~4.5 in the back. i have done other stuff to it also.

the f150s have a lower redline and shift points than the mustangs do. i think the idea is the engine is under more stress in the heavier truck than in the mustang so rpm is limited to stay within the safety margins for reliability.

just my $.02
good luck with whatever you decide. oh, forgot to mention…that supercharger whine we had with the older stuff…has been reduced due the the increased efficiency of the new blowers. the rotor designs are different so the sound is not as loud and the newer trucks are quieter inside just in general. so don’t be expecting that same sound you had before.