Sponsored

Ford performance exhaust.

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
Yea I get that, I can’t count the number of exhaust setups I went through on my previous mustang just to get the right sound.

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t necessarily argue against personal preference, I’ve just seen this discussion a lot and some people seem to think there’s some performance benefit.
i agree with you. i can’t count the number of times i have read a post about how much power exhaust mods or cai make or don’t make. at this point i just roll my eyes and move on.

if/when i do this, i will definitely post unconfirmed seat of the pants feel to really stir the pot up…lol.

i’m strictly doing this for sound.
Sponsored

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
did you ever do a true dual exhaust? i have yet to see anyone do something about the y pipe.
I’m still a ways out on that.

In terms of performance, I agree that just doing a cat-back upgrade probably won’t improve performance.

However, if you’re doing long tube headers with upgraded or no (*gasp*) cats, into a true dual crossover with a improved intake and tune, it stands to reason the butt dyno will notice that.

I’ve honestly enjoyed the stock sound (I’m getting old) so much that I don’t have plans anytime soon.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I would like to see the numbers for so-called "performance exhaust" systems. Headers are the only way to go for performance
Any true dual exhaust will increase performance. I dont see how any cat back can increase performance using the same Y-pipe. That is the constriction point.

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 5.0 Stage 2 Whipple
I would also point out that most of these manufacturers make claims of around a 10hp gain from installing their products. If your truck has 400hp, a 10hp gain is not something that you would even feel. If I gave you a 400hp truck and a 410hp truck, you could not tell the difference. I have a modified Borla dual exhaust system on my truck. I did it for the sound.

vinnie45acp

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lariat Sport/Black out/502A
Occupation
Logistics
i agree with you. i can’t count the number of times i have read a post about how much power exhaust mods or cai make or don’t make. at this point i just roll my eyes and move on.

if/when i do this, i will definitely post unconfirmed seat of the pants feel to really stir the pot up…lol.

i’m strictly doing this for sound.
Same, we all know that with these 14th gen's and 4th gen Coyote's were not going to get any performance out of just Cat backs or a CAI. You need Headers, a SC, and or a Tune. Last of which I plan on getting just to smooth out the transmission and get rid of the CD.
You do an exhaust on these for (well at least me), Sound difference even if just a bit different from Stock, change the looks, (I am doing dual black tips on my BAP 2022 Lariate), and to upgrade materials from the stock Steel (I am doing 304 SS). That was you get the sound you want, the looks and you have a high gtrade stainless steel you don't have to worry about for 15-20 years. Really nice southern climates 409 would suffice, but for me, buy once cry once. oh and even though it is a truck, you reduce the weight by about 75-100 pounds, and every pound matters. any time you can shed some weight, DO IT!

Sponsored

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Any true dual exhaust will increase performance. I dont see how any cat back can increase performance using the same Y-pipe. That is the constriction point.
True dual exhaust will lower your total output. Crossover pipes or merging both banks is proven to increase power, in addition to weighing less.

The power increase is due to the scavenging effect. Basically as an exhaust pulse passes the merged pipes it creates a vacuum that helps to "pull" the other banks exhaust. On something around 400hp a crossover pipe is usually 5-10hp over true duals.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
True dual exhaust will lower your total output. Crossover pipes or merging both banks is proven to increase power, in addition to weighing less.

The power increase is due to the scavenging effect. Basically as an exhaust pulse passes the merged pipes it creates a vacuum that helps to "pull" the other banks exhaust. On something around 400hp a crossover pipe is usually 5-10hp over true duals.

I am fully aware of crossovers. The presence of a cross over is a given when discussing true dual exhaust.

Not sure what this has to do with my post. the factory y-pipe is the bottleneck and cat backs.....plus they are not worrh the stupid prices.

Replacing just the muffler will have same result as a cat back. With 1k in savings based on what some cost.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I am fully aware of crossovers. The presence of a cross over is a given when discussing true dual exhaust.

Not sure what this has to do with my post. the factory y-pipe is the bottleneck and cat backs.....plus they are not worrh the stupid prices.

Replacing just the muffler will have same result as a cat back. With 1k in savings based on what some cost.
Because you said a true dual exhaust will always increase power. And it won't.

SWFLGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I have the ford performance exhaust, yes it’s by Borla. It fit great and looks and sounds fantastic.
I got the sport kit I believe, above touring but below extreme and it’s plenty loud for me.
Ford F-150 Ford performance exhaust. IMG_2774
Ford F-150 Ford performance exhaust. IMG_2778
Ford F-150 Ford performance exhaust. IMG_2776
Ford F-150 Ford performance exhaust. IMG_2777
Ford F-150 Ford performance exhaust. IMG_2775

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Because you said a true dual exhaust will always increase power. And it won't.
Uh, yes it will.

ICE's are basically an air pump. The more/faster you get air in and out, the more power.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Uh, yes it will.

ICE's are basically an air pump. The more/faster you get air in and out, the more power.
I wouldn't consider an exhaust to be true dual with a crossover pipe. Even if you do consider a sorta true dual to be true dual (it's not) you have the weight of 2x as many mufflers and more weight in piping.

There are also minor thermal dynamic advantages to single exhaust that's correctly sized.

True dual is just an old school idea that doesn't hold up to science and facts. I do like the aesthetics of a dual pipe coming out one side.
Sponsored