First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
I think it's important when comparing the two to consider when they were founded and what there purposes were.

You're already conceding they are totally different vehicles with totally different use cases, but your comparing there manufacturers like they should be the saem.

They were founded a full century apart. When Ford was founded, the first digital computer didn't even exist yet. Heck you even ask the "founder" of Tesla what the company is and he'll tell you it's a technology company, Farley won't say that about Ford. So comparing software updates in Tesla's to software updates in Fords is a lot like comparing a smart phone to an old flip phone, they share a similar primary purpose, but the similarities basically end there.

Do I wish Ford would improve it's technology sector? Absolutely, but that costs money, and good luck getting corporate to expense that.
The big 3 have to quickly automate or they will give up their ever decreasing market share. Japan came in and decimated the domestic car market because the domestics sucked at making vehicles. Now, all these years later they are again being leapfrogged and risk truly going out of business.

Unions were the downfall of yellow earlier this year, and I hope they don’t sink the domestics.

I would have bought the new tundra if it didn’t look like total ass.
Sponsored

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
this is exactly what I see in our one union shop as well. 700 mostly lazy people, and double the salaried supervisors vs our non-union plants. Out of control wages, and low quality output vs our non-union plants.

if we were paying for a better trained workforce, a more adaptable workforce, better quality, better safety, and more throughout, then of course i would be on the side of private unions.

but that is not the reality.[/QUOTE]
It's reality in my experience, I've worked union jobs since I was a junior in high school. have never seen one place where you couldn't be terminated for any reason. one exception is public sector unions. My last 40 years was working for union mechanical contractors. No paid holidays or sick days, work 6 hours get paid for 6. We could d be terminated on the spot for any reason they deemed fit, and some were. Our union has never struck since its founding in 1885. The company I worked for the last 25 years was family owned, started in a storefront in 1930. Grew to be one of the biggest in the midwest still family owned until it sold in 2019 to a private equities firm for 1 billion dollars...yes billion. The owner called every union employee personally into his office and gave us each 10's of thousands of dollar checks showing his appreciation. The union employees served them well. I can go on and on but I won't bore everybody. If your company can't get rid of under performers that's the terrible managements fault for approving such a ridiculous contract. My company as well as Ford could go non union if they want to but they don't want to. Anyway I'm glad the issue at least with Ford looks like it's coming to a close. Hopefully the rest will follow suit.
PS: A jealous person is an unhappy person as someone always has more than you!

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
About every two weeks I get a Tesla OTA software update.
…..
It is a heavy burden particularly when they keep pushing out bad code that must be fixed.
I don’t really want to get into a debate about the positives and negatives of Tesla, but since you were touting how great Tesla tech is, I’m curious about how you square these two statements?

Last edited:

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
News, is GM and Stellatis agreed to same offer as Ford agreed too. Now they vote on it.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Once the Apple iCar and iTruck comes out it’s over for Tesla anyway….lol but in all seriousness that would be a cool product.
They'll learn real quick what tesla learned, you can't wave a wand and build something. The "how to", supply chains, factories, robots / machines, etc.... have to be figured out before the first vehicle rolls off of the line. That's after you have a product and the methods to manufacture it.

Ford wised up a bit too late, they've got one of the injection presses tesla uses at their R&D facility playing with it. They're still behind technologically, but trying to catch up. Toyota is far behind in many areas, but coming to terms with things. Still using NI-MH for cell chemistry when they should have just jumped directly to LFP.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Apple is the richest company in the world with a $3 Trillion market cap today and growing. They make Tesla look like a little punk. If they want to make something happen- it’ll happen. They are looking at getting into the car business, we will see. I don’t think partnering with Kia is a smart move to get in. Apple is next level when it comes to user interface and ease of service. I truly believe they would revolutionize the auto business if they truly enter it. I love my iPhones, if the iTruck runs on iOS and is sexy I’d buy one :giggle:

Last edited:

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Sounds like it was a management team that needed fixing!
just the tip of the iceberg.
in fact the only real person that acted like a manager was the snapper (lead) he had his shiiit wired and used people he could count on to get things moving. he was a great guy to work with.
rest of management was scared to tell someone to get off the shittter all day and go to work, yes we had a guy that sat in the restroom all day until break time and lunch and still burn contract hours on jobs he never did.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
It’s literally a person who makes that call. Ford quality checklist probably wouldn’t let it slide, but pencil pushers have to check the box, so they do. If they reject it it creates

this is exactly what I see in our one union shop as well. 700 mostly lazy people, and double the salaried supervisors vs our non-union plants. Out of control wages, and low quality output vs our non-union plants.

if we were paying for a better trained workforce, a more adaptable workforce, better quality, better safety, and more throughout, then of course i would be on the side of private unions.

but that is not the reality.
This too looks like a management issue! Double the Supervisors? Those are managers. Doesn’t sound like a union problem at all!

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
The new agreement adds $50 to Fords labor cost!!!
“Lawler, (a Ford executive), said the deal will raise Ford’s labor costs by $850 to $900 per vehicle produced. Ford will still remain profitable, he added.”

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
The new agreement adds $50 to Fords labor cost!!!
“Lawler, (a Ford executive), said the deal will raise Ford’s labor costs by $850 to $900 per vehicle produced. Ford will still remain profitable, he added.”
850 to 900 on top if crazy inflation

Sponsored

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
This too looks like a management issue! Double the Supervisors? Those are managers. Doesn’t sound like a union problem at all!
Can’t let the supervisors go without a renegotiated union deal.

again, if unions produced better product at a better price point, I would be all for them.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
Can’t let the supervisors go without a renegotiated union deal.

again, if unions produced better product at a better price point, I would be all for them.
Whom ever negotiated such union deal should be tared & feathered.

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Ford wasn’t going to let Kentucky Truck Plant sit idle. The Super Duty is Fords lifeblood. Looks like both sides settled some.
Wall Street not impressed. Dow way up today, but Ford stock down ~ 13% over the last two trading days. Down to 9.82 as I write this. Is it the devil in the details with UAW or the EV situation? Lots of variables, I'm sure.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Apple is the richest company in the world with a $3 Trillion market cap today and growing. They make Tesla look like a little punk. If they want to make something happen- it’ll happen. They are looking at getting into the car business, we will see. I don’t think partnering with Kia is a smart move to get in. Apple is next level when it comes to user interface and ease of service. I truly believe they would revolutionize the auto business if they truly enter it. I love my iPhones, if the iTruck runs on iOS and is sexy I’d buy one :giggle:
Did I miss something in this thread where Apple is going to partner with Kia? I am biased as my wife drives a Kia (currently an EV6) and is on her 4th one. Never once has any of her Kias had to go into the shop for anything, and PT warranty is 100k miles. My '17 F150 on the other hand was in the shop 7 times before PT warranty was up, and then I had to foot the bill for the next 40k miles.

The S Korea automakers are now the Toyota of the 80's, pushing their designs and reliability while still being relatively affordable. Plus, they know they still have work to do in order to become recognized as mainstream in the US, so they are likely willing to work with a company like Apple to do so. I cant see any of the Big 3 being easy to work with in any form of partnership. Their mentality is likely "we sell everything we can build, so we obviously know what we are doing and dont need anyone to tell us differently"
Sponsored