Sponsored

First Oil Change - V8 Tremor

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
I believe that Ford recommends the first oil change to occur at 5,000 miles. But whether it's been an auto or a motorcycle, I've typically done the first oil change at 600 (bikes) to 1,000 miles. I plan to do the same for my Tremor. I don't want to turn this into a debate on timing, or even about which oil, but what I would like to know...

Are there any good how to videos on changing the oil on the V8 Tremor? It's the first year for this combo, and so far I haven't seen one.

My plan is to change the oil and the oil filter. I would assume removing a skip plate is probalby needed (maybe not exactly, but to insure things are tidy)? I also don't have a lift, but assumed that I can shimmy my fat arse underneath.

Other than the skid plate, making sure I put the correct amount of oil back in, using the reccomended oil and oil filter, any other watch outs?
Sponsored

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
Although I have the 3.5. I highly recommended removing the whole skid plate instead of using the little access hole in the skid plate. It's barely a few more bolts and makes life so much easier.

Other than that it's the same V8 that has been used forever so with the skid plate out of the way, it's going to he like any other F150 oil change.

You got this.

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Although I have the 3.5. I highly recommended removing the whole skid plate instead of using the little access hole in the skid plate. It's barely a few more bolts and makes life so much easier.

Other than that it's the same V8 that has been used forever so with the skid plate out of the way, it's going to he like any other F150 oil change.

You got this.
Do you know if it's one big skid plate, or more than one plate that will have to be removed?

I realize that we have different engines so that migth change things too.

I wish Ford would publish the "how to" part in the owners manual.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
Do you know if it's one big skid plate, or more than one plate that will have to be removed?

I realize that we have different engines so that migth change things too.

I wish Ford would publish the "how to" part in the owners manual.
I've changed my oil once, I guarantee it's the same skid plate.

There is a softer cloth type black cover you need to removed more towards the center of the truck in order to be able to drain the oil.

Then for access to the oil filter they give you the little access hole in the skid plate, or if you remove the x6 (I think, possibly 8) bolts then the whole silver/Grey skid plate comes off in one solid piece (it's heavy) and you'll have plenty of room to access the filter. It's definitely possible to do it through that access hole, but not with my human sized hands and the current way my solid bones in my arms are not allowed to bend.

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
I've changed my oil once, I guarantee it's the same skid plate.

There is a softer cloth type black cover you need to removed more towards the center of the truck in order to be able to drain the oil.

Then for access to the oil filter they give you the little access hole in the skid plate, or if you remove the x6 (I think, possibly 8) bolts then the whole silver/Grey skid plate comes off in one solid piece (it's heavy) and you'll have plenty of room to access the filter. It's definitely possible to do it through that access hole, but not with my human sized hands and the current way my solid bones in my arms are not allowed to bend.
Appreciate it. The plan is to take a crack at this tomorrow. I just got back from buying the oil and the oil filter.

My main concern right now is how tight a fit getting my big arse under the truck is going to be. I don't have any lift or ramps to make it easier.

Sponsored

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
Appreciate it. The plan is to take a crack at this tomorrow. I just got back from buying the oil and the oil filter.

My main concern right now is how tight a fit getting my big arse under the truck is going to be. I don't have any lift or ramps to make it easier.
If you have a creeper to roll around on, it's doable. Obviously ramps would make life easier, but I'd say you can do it on flat ground, it's got just enough space to lie flat underneath it and work.

AccentedWanderer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 5.5. 2018 Audi Q5
hi,

I am convinced that you would not need to remove the skid plates to change oil. Just the cheap, black, fabric-like material and that is it!

It is incredibly simple once you have done it once. Do not fret and enjoy the experience!

Hotch3

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Tremor 5.0, Edge ST, Subaru WRX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I did mine the other day (‘23 402A w/V8).

Drained the oil pan first. Tried pushing the front of the truck up a little to get as much oil out as possible. Stupid exaggerated rake allows some oil to sit at the front of the pan…

Then with the truck level (this is key), removed the access plate in the skid plate to get at the filter, or so I thought.
Moved my drain pan so that the skid plate opening and the little square opening, next to the words “DO NOT REMOVE BOLTS FOR OIL CHANGE”, are over the drain pan. This allows the two drip funnels to drain through the skid plate opening and the square hole darn near perfectly.
Then I removed the oil filter. The stock filter is on there REALLY tight…. Ended up going at it from above, then below, then above…
Having the truck level is what allowed the oil to drain through the two openings, I believe. I still had to clean up the two drip funnels that Ford put in there, but they worked fairly well.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I did mine the other day (‘23 402A w/V8).

Drained the oil pan first. Tried pushing the front of the truck up a little to get as much oil out as possible. Stupid exaggerated rake allows some oil to sit at the front of the pan…

Then with the truck level (this is key), removed the access plate in the skid plate to get at the filter, or so I thought.
Moved my drain pan so that the skid plate opening and the little square opening, next to the words “DO NOT REMOVE BOLTS FOR OIL CHANGE”, are over the drain pan. This allows the two drip funnels to drain through the skid plate opening and the square hole darn near perfectly.
Then I removed the oil filter. The stock filter is on there REALLY tight…. Ended up going at it from above, then below, then above…
Having the truck level is what allowed the oil to drain through the two openings, I believe. I still had to clean up the two drip funnels that Ford put in there, but they worked fairly well.
Is that why my truck was WAY over full when I did the 7.75 quarts?? I drained out a quart plus and it was still over the full line! Not a Tremor though.

Sponsored

Hotch3

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Tremor 5.0, Edge ST, Subaru WRX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’m thinking that could be why.
I noticed that mine was over-full, as well, after adding 7.75qt.
I thought about jacking up the front end just to drain the pan, then bringing it back down for the rest of the change, but didn’t…

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Welp…..thanks for all the info and words of encouragement. The deed is done.

Based on the feedback that it might help to have the truck more level to facilitate everything draining, I decided to get a little creative.

I put a level on the running board since I assumed that it is hopefully parallel with the frame.

Here’s the results on flat ground in my garage….

Ford F-150 First Oil Change - V8 Tremor 183FE580-26FD-4235-A179-6994772A19AB

Then I put the front wheels of the truck on the flat garage floor and kept the real wheels on the slanted driveway which yielded the following…..

Ford F-150 First Oil Change - V8 Tremor C77428BB-6AEE-442C-B77B-10AC6C45B7F5

Finally, to give it a little more angle and even provide a bit more room for me to get under the truck I pulled the front wheels onto two bricks…..

Ford F-150 First Oil Change - V8 Tremor 5B5D7E16-BA01-4522-8C86-207AE0BF8F0F

Ford F-150 First Oil Change - V8 Tremor 8BE6ED3C-7C54-4A24-947F-D96C31273C70

I removed the front skid plate…..six bolts…..

Ford F-150 First Oil Change - V8 Tremor 64534F98-434A-4FA1-98CF-4B7039945339

I did this first just to make sure I could easily do it, and to make sure it would give me good access to the oil filter. The bolts are 13mm and took a good while to remove (and put back) with a plain ole ratchet. I really do need an electric wrench.

I drained the oil first. I’ve changed oil quite a bit on other things, but this one was one of the messier ones. The oil started to trickle out fairly quick but it still wasn’t hand loose….I needed to use the ratchet a good bit more. But it all came out and I let it sit open until nothing more was coming.

Then I removed the oil filter. All the oil from this drained out the backside of the trough and came out the little square hole in the other skid plate. I probably should have removed this skid plate one too, but didn’t. Thankfully the filter wasn’t that tight. I removed it with the wrench below. The only issue was that there are a few hoses in the way so you can’t get a great angle for this type of wrench. But even at a diagonal angle, I got enough of a bite that broke it loose without too much effort.

Ford F-150 First Oil Change - V8 Tremor 391D7575-5DDA-4247-879F-1CEEC9FE225A

Ford F-150 First Oil Change - V8 Tremor 41ED3E0A-69B3-4D00-8ED9-C644E6C3F33A

I cleaned off the drain trough as much as a I could reach as far back as my hand would allow. Even checking the rim of the skid plate I didn’t take off….which had zero oil on it. The pour really did come perfectly through that cut out.

I put everting all back together and given all the feedback only added 7.5 quarts versus 7.75. I waited a good long time for the oil to settle, it appears to be at the very top of the range....maybe a bit higher....but I don’t think so. Companies need to find a better way to read super clean oil levels on dipsticks.

All in all, not too bad of a process. The skid plate on and off was probably half the battle.
Sponsored

Last edited: