Sponsored

Oil change opinions on new truck

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I changed my 23 5.0 at about 2500 miles because it had used a whole quart of oil! Not wanting to risk just adding oil i changed it and it hasn’t used a drop since!!
Are you sure it wasn’t a quart low from the factory when you bought it? Wouldn’t surprise me.
Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
You guys are all gonna balk at this one...

Got my truck April 2022, and sitting at just about 11,000 miles now. Still on original oil, and truck still shows over 20% life. It's a PB, so ICE miles are 8k and change, and I don't tow or anything. I trust the truck to tell me when it's due... Hopefully that's not a mistake.

Reactions: sbi

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
You guys are all gonna balk at this one...

Got my truck April 2022, and sitting at just about 11,000 miles now. Still on original oil, and truck still shows over 20% life. It's a PB, so ICE miles are 8k and change, and I don't tow or anything. I trust the truck to tell me when it's due... Hopefully that's not a mistake.
Owners manual says you should have changed the oil NLT 10,000 miles.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Instead of starting a new thread (yet ANOTHER one on oil changes, lol!), I think this question is pretty close to the intent of this thread:

For FIRST oil change (or I guess ANY oil change), should there be any reservations on doing the change at a local oil change place?

I just called the local dealer and they're booked until the day I have a long (1200+mi) road trip planned and I wanted to do the first oil change beforehand. Oil life is 58%, vehicle is 3 mos old, ~5000km on the odometer but still wanted to be conservative for awhile on oil changes (if not forever). So anyway, plenty of oil change places around town, just wondered the consensus from the masses.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Changing you oil is not difficult. Get a good filter cap adaptor as the factory filters can be really tight. I bought a three-fingered adaptor that tightens on the filter as you unscrew it. Came right off. I change oil right after driving home from pickup. This is to get out as much manufacturing debris as possible. Then maybe 3-5,000 miles, then begin oil analysis and can extend from there. I also changed out my axles, xfer case and transmission (let the dealer do the xmsn). Again to get rid of manufacturing debris. When I dumped the front axle it was a funny gray and almost grainy, so glad I did that one.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
When I dumped the front axle it was a funny gray and almost grainy, so glad I did that one.
You will be checking that again soon, I assume. Did you happen to send this fluid to the lab?

I'm bummed I forgot to grab a sample for my first couple of oil changes, but I'm on track now.

You have me seriously considering changing out the differentials, tranny, and xfer case.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
You will be checking that again soon, I assume. Did you happen to send this fluid to the lab?

I'm bummed I forgot to grab a sample for my first couple of oil changes, but I'm on track now.

You have me seriously considering changing out the differentials, tranny, and xfer case.
I think it's worth doing. My rationale is simple: No matter how hard they try, there will be residual manufacturing debris/dust in a component. Your engine is by far the most important since it has clearances as fine as 8µ. Other components, axles, transmission, Xfer case, have wider clearances but I still think its good practice. That fluid that came out of my front axle was just weird and I'm glad I dumped it. Keep in mind that this is the kind of stuff for one who wants to get well past their trade-in mileage. I tend to keep my vehicles for along times (EG still driving a 92 Suburban bought new). I 'spose I should have had that funny gray stuff analyzed... didn't think to and just dumped it :-(.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
It would be prudent to change the oil and oil filter at the 12 month mark. More a matter of removing any moisture than deterioration of the motor oil. The filter is probably fine but it adds only $10 to the cost of the oil change so it becomes a why not decision.

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT FX SuperCrew 4x4 3.5 Race Red
At the first 1,000 miles, I drain and fill with my personal fav synthetic and a Motorcraft filter. Then every 5,000 miles after that.

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired
There is more wear during the first 1500 miles on an engine than in the next 50,000 miles. The oil should be changed early to remove the metal that is deposited in the oil during the initial break in when parts are mating to their wear surfaces. It is not manufacturing debris that is an issue, but the results of the break in of wear surfaces.
The first oil/filter change should be made at 1500 miles.
Sponsored