Sponsored

Anyone Done Their First Oil Change on a PowerBoost?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
So, in our Owners Guides/Manuals Ford does not recommend an early oil change. Ford recommends just to follow the programmed, algorithm’d Oil Life Monitor to determine that first OC. I get it that we want to get that first oil change done early, the “peace-of-mind” OC. Fleet and rental vehicles don’t get this extra care and provide long life within just regular care, fleet and police vehicles get way beyond 100K mikes of service without this early OC with NO adverse affects. Do we need to do an early OC for peace-of-mind? just sayin’. In decades past I think this procedure had value. With todays manufacturing and oil and filter technology? Maybe unesscessary?
I was at my dealer yesterday and inquired about having the oil changed (1,000 miles). They didn't tell me no, but they did tell me that Ford recommends that you follow their schedule for oil changes. Due to advances in manufacturing, there is simply no reason to change the oil outside of the recommended cycle. I have found that the dealership is really good at regurgitating Ford's official stance on just about everything, but I didn't push the issue and decided to follow their program. My father did this on his Acura and when the torque converter crapped out at 65K, he was able to show he followed their recommended service to the letter and they replaced it outside of the warranty period. I know for a fact Ford will not do that, as they screwed me in a past life on a warranty issue with my Mustang which was clearly still under warranty.
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I'm *very* surprised my PowerBoost (essentially an EcoBoost) only takes 6 quarts. What are they thinking? My two Chevys take 8 and 10 quarts and even my older cars take a minimum of 7. I feel much better going 7,500-10,000 miles between oil changes if the car uses 8-10 quarts and I use a top oil, like Mobil 1 Extended.

So, using something like Mobile 1 Extended, how many miles do you go between changes?

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Changed mine with Mobil 1 at 850 miles. Easy change.

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
Has anyone taken a picture of the drain plug and posted it yet? I also would like to know if the fumoto drain plug will work. I like how they got rid of the yellow plug and plastic pan though!
Sorry for more questions, but which direction is the drain plug oriented? Is it on the the side of the pan pointing to the side, on the back of the pan pointing back, or on the bottom of the pan pointing down? I'm trying to get a feel for how well a Fumoto Drain Valve would work, and how safe out of harms way the valve would be from being damaged or ripped out by road debris? Thanks.
it drain point out toward the passenger side. It is protected from below by the sway bar and pretty high up. I would imagine the long nipple fumoto drain plug will work fine.

F137N: LONG NIPPLE OIL DRAIN VALVE WITH M12-1.75

NiftyF150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport Leadfoot Gray 302a Ecoboost
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
So, in our Owners Guides/Manuals Ford does not recommend an early oil change. Ford recommends just to follow the programmed, algorithm’d Oil Life Monitor to determine that first OC. I get it that we want to get that first oil change done early, the “peace-of-mind” OC. Fleet and rental vehicles don’t get this extra care and provide long life within just regular care, fleet and police vehicles get way beyond 100K mikes of service without this early OC with NO adverse affects. Do we need to do an early OC for peace-of-mind? just sayin’. In decades past I think this procedure had value. With todays manufacturing and oil and filter technology? Maybe unesscessary?
I spoke with my Ford service department about a break in oil change and the mileage interval for changes to maintain my warranty and they told me “Don’t worry about changing the oil until the service message displays on the dash.” Well today at 8,000 miles and many sleepless nights and nail chewing I caved and change the oil. The oil life meter said 22% with an estimated 2,000 more miles and to be changed in July!

I used a Wix filter and 5w30 Mobile One Full Synthetic and reset the service interval. I’m planning on changing it again at 10,000 and then every 5,000 miles after that. Sorry Ford, I can’t bring myself to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. I tried, but can’t bring myself to trust an interval like that. I still feel sick to my stomach that I went that long before changing it, even when justifying it by following Fords recommendation.

Sponsored

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
I spoke with my Ford service department about a break in oil change and the mileage interval for changes to maintain my warranty and they told me “Don’t worry about changing the oil until the service message displays on the dash.” Well today at 8,000 miles and many sleepless nights and nail chewing I caved and change the oil. The oil life meter said 22% with an estimated 2,000 more miles and to be changed in July!

I used a Wix filter and 5w30 Mobile One Full Synthetic and reset the service interval. I’m planning on changing it again at 10,000 and then every 5,000 miles after that. Sorry Ford, I can’t bring myself to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. I tried, but can’t bring myself to trust an interval like that. I still feel sick to my stomach that I went that long before changing it, even when justifying it by following Fords recommendation.
I‘m with you on not waiting to 10,000 miles. I changed at about 1500 and then again this weekend at 6800. We have a 2 week trip coming up where we’ll probably put on 4,000-5,000 miles and I was trying to time this oil change to be a few weeks before the trip. I’ll probably change it again right after the trip since 2,500 miles will be pulling a camper and some of it over the Rockies. I want to see if the truck changes the recommended oil life with “heavier” use. Heavier is in quotes because our camper is only about 4,000 pounds.

the last thing the salesman said when I picked it up was change the oil every 5,000. seems like cheap insurance to change more often even using full synthetic and good filters.

Marty811

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR Powerboost, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
New Ford owner here, in fact I won’t have the truck for another week. KR Powerboost.
We have had 4 Toyota Hybrids, my wife currently drives a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid.
Toyota recommends oil changes every 10K with no need for an early breakin oil change.
That floored me initially, Harley Davidson mandates oil change after the initial 1K.
The Toyota’s come with synthetic, they have all been bulletproof.
Was going to wait for a new Tundra but really liked the idea of the Powerboost.

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
I usually rely on the every 6 month requirement.

Ford F-150 Anyone Done Their First Oil Change on a PowerBoost? Screenshot 2021-05-31 095043

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I wanted to change mine early just to see the oil. I wanted to change the filter too, but I couldn't get it off. What are others using to get the filter off the PB? I have an adjustable filter wrench but it wouldn't bite onto the filter, and I couldn't get it to turn by hand either.

I ended up just refilling with the original filter in place. It shouldn't be horrible since I didn't see and glitter in the oil that came out. There were a few metal particles, but nothing too bad. I've seen much worse in some lawn equipment and they don't have an oil filter.

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
I used to change my oil in all my vehicles, but since my 1st Eco aluminum body 2015 I have always used the Ford Quiklane. So that was three Eco aluminum bodies ago so I have not changed oil my self in 6 plus years. I guess I was always concerned of not having a record for warranty and extended warranty reasons. So for the guys who change there oil at home, what do you keep or record to prove that you have been following the recommended maintenance just in case of a warranty or extend warranty issue. This goes for third party extended warranty question as well?

I keep all my service receipts in my console so when I trade in a truck I usually have a stack of old receipts from different Ford Dealerships. This truck I plan on keeping for several years actually and do not believe in the 10k oil change BS nor do I believe in the 3k oil change BS anymore, I am thinking 4-5 k depending on length and usage.

When I run my ethanol tunes usually my oil is cleaner after 4k compared to just regular gas with E10 on comparable mileage and temps.

Since tunes are out of the question until they crack the ECM and auto updates I am forced to leave this one stock so I am going to keep a eye on the oil more often. I am ready to see what the 21 can do with a tune. Stock to Stock the 18 3.5 Vs. the 21 3.5 with the same gear ratio and both 10 speeds the 21 has a lot more low end and mid-range power, more that I would expect for the little jump in SAE output between the two motors.
A pic below of my 1st and 3rd one the day I brought it home.
Ford F-150 Anyone Done Their First Oil Change on a PowerBoost? f150 1st and 3rd

Last edited:

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I used to change my oil in all my vehicles, but since my 1st Eco aluminum body 2015 I have always used the Ford Quiklane. So that was three Eco aluminum bodies ago so I have not changed oil my self in 6 plus years. I guess I was always concerned of not having a record for warranty and extended warranty reasons. So for the guys who change there oil at home, what do you keep or record to prove that you have been following the recommended maintenance just in case of a warranty or extend warranty issue. This goes for third party extended warranty question as well?

I keep all my service receipts in my console so when I trade in a truck I usually have a stack of old receipts from different Ford Dealerships. This truck I plan on keeping for several years actually and do not believe in the 10k oil change BS nor do I believe in the 3k oil change BS anymore, I am thinking 4-5 k depending on length and usage.

When I run my ethanol tunes usually my oil is cleaner after 4k compared to just regular gas with E10 on comparable mileage and temps.

Since tunes are out of the question until they crack the ECM and auto updates I am forced to leave this one stock so I am going to keep a eye on the oil more often. I am ready to see what the 21 can do with a tune. Stock to Stock the 18 3.5 Vs. the 21 3.5 with the same gear ratio and both 10 speeds the 21 has a lot more low end and mid-range power, more that I would expect for the little jump in SAE output between the two motors.
I change my own oil and have never been asked to produce receipts or records. But then again, I've never owned a Ford before.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
So for the guys who change there oil at home, what do you keep or record to prove that you have been following the recommended maintenance just in case of a warranty or extend warranty issue. This goes for third party extended warranty question as well?
I just set up a Google Spreadsheet to track the maintenance/repairs on my truck. I'm going to keep a tab for each date, record the mileage, what was done, and notes for each line item as well. I also plan on having receipts for parts/supplies available as well, even if it is in an email to back-up what was used for the service. I'm going to do most of the stuff at home on my own for now, but even if I have it done at the dealership, I'll still add those items to the sheet too.

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
Ok I was just curious, most likely I will have the dealer do the maintenance unless I get bored, I just hate waiting a few hours for a oil change, when I can do it my self at lot faster besides tire rotation or have a lube shop do it in less then 20 mins.

I have been thinking of checking the gap on the plugs because I like to run a tighter gap near .027-.028 versus the stock gap and I seem to get less knock that way. Until tunes come out I do not plan to put the Ford performance plugs in. SP542 M-12405-35T, I am not sure why Ford went away from them but those run great at a tighter gap, better idle for sure. I haven't looked at the manual but I am sure shoved those SP-578 in the 21's.

flyboy52219

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Changed today at 3500 miles. Prepare to curse Ford and the engineers for access to the filter. Cranked on so tight had to remove the plastic splash pan as well as wire looms so the filter wrench could get a bite on the factory torqued filter to 10000 ft/lbs. There is very little room to work that filter loose. Finally came out and now future changes will be easy with proper filter torque settings. To answer original poster questions - metal pan, metal drain plug, oriented toward passenger side.
Sponsored