First day of my 2022 F-150 ownership - The good, the bad, the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
Let's start with the good since that won't take long. I scheduled to pick up my 2022 Lariat F-150 today from Granger in Iowa. I drove my 2021 Mazda CX5 up there (spent the night in Des Moines) and was there when they opened. Chip had everything ready and this was the easiest vehicle transaction I have ever had.
Ford F-150 First day of my 2022 F-150 ownership - The good, the bad, the ugly 20220214_102214

It took about 20 minutes! Chip went over some things with the truck, we set up MyPass and I was on my way. The truck is comfortable, quiet, and I like the 3.5 Ecoboost. That's all the positives I have. What should have been a great experience turned into the opposite.

The Bad. About 30-40 miles down the road I got a warning ding and I started getting multiple warnings. And the issues are Antilock Brake Fault, Pre-Collision Assist Not Available, Blind Spot Detection with Cross Traffic were all showing yellow icons on the display. I had a traction control yellow icon displayed and I also got a park sensor light on the hard button above the Sync4. I contacted Chip and he wanted me to come back. I really had to get back to DFW because I have to work tomorrow (well, technically, it's now today - 2/15). So, after I realized that I could safely get home, I did. But, the major downsides are no adaptive cruise or regular cruise and no blind spot monitoring. The rest I could live with for now. On an 11 hour drive that truly sucked. I also got a random message that said Check Headlamp System. See Manual. I got that message throughout my trip. Luckily my lights worked so I was able to safely drive in the dark.

Ford F-150 First day of my 2022 F-150 ownership - The good, the bad, the ugly Screenshot_20220214-115353_FordPass

Ford F-150 First day of my 2022 F-150 ownership - The good, the bad, the ugly 20220214_183523

The Ugly. Neither Android Auto Waze maps or Google maps knows where the hell I am. Every once in a while it will correct but it will lose its mind and leave I-35 and never come back (I took I-35 from Des Moines all the way into Fort Worth). I used Android Auto and Waze all the way here in my Mazda with zero issues (never had one in the 8 months I owned it). It's not the phone. And so I thought I would just use the Ford Nav and route home but no...it has no idea where the hell I am either. It would be driving off in a field away from where I was and would never correct. You can see the breadcrumbs it was dropping and it was making big circles as I was almost in Fort Worth and it's still way the hell north. I was pretty damn pissed by the time I got home (1130pm Central). I did try wired and wireless Android Auto and the same behavior happened.

Ford F-150 First day of my 2022 F-150 ownership - The good, the bad, the ugly 20220214_183318

Ford F-150 First day of my 2022 F-150 ownership - The good, the bad, the ugly 20220214_224358

So now I have to figure out where to take it since I never had issues with my 21 F-250. What a horrible first day as a new owner of a Ford F-150. The truck had 24 miles on it when I picked it up. Granger does a quick test drive to ensure everything functions. These issues are NOT on Granger. I now have 784 miles.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kidder

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
Oh, and my front bumper has parking sensors even though I don't think it should. I did not order the Active 2.0. Weird. I have a 502A.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 F150XL
Occupation
Pressurized Tube Commander
Glad the granger experience was good…I look forward to mine. Seeing these issues…my great fear is to drive away from the lot and encounter issues - nuisance or otherwise. And a long drive it is ?
Keep us posted on resolution.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
Android Auto is just broadcasting whatever navigation that your phone is picking up…through the Sync4 system. Perhaps your phone was not getting as good a signal buried in a truck vs. the Mazda. Does not explain the Ford nav system problem.

<edit> the above statement is incorrect due to rectal/cranial inversion of the author. </edit>

Last edited:

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
WOW... that sucks, sorry to hear. Electrical gremlins can be a nightmare. It sounds like there's definitely something going on with a module or two. Hopefully they will get it fixed.

Sponsored

STJonesin4

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Construction
I had some issues early on with the Ford navigation (showed me driving in a field 30 yards off of the road). I think that I had to opt in to the something through the app or Sync 4 - either SiriusXM 360 or something - sorry don't remember. All I know is that it has worked fine since.......

Good luck!

Handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang
Wow……that had to be stressful. Be sure to check that all your fuses are fully seated. When I picked up a bunch of mine were not seated well on the under hood panel.

Scrambler68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB F150
Is there a spray in bed liner? There are a bunch of posts on this forum from guys that had their tailgates removed for the bed liner to be sprayed but when it was put back together, they got a bunch of the warnings you are listing. Some said it was something to do with the cameras. Others said there was a loose connection.

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved and end up liking your truck as much as I like mine!

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Rach, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Consultant
Wow I feel your pain.

Had a similar experience on a new Jeep bought in Denver. Had to drive home at night to DFW with the head unit ghosting moving between screens (nav/radio/climate). Would not take the Nav, the radio constantly going back to the Elvis station and temp going back to 76 degrees. 2 AM, no cell service, unfamiliar roads, hot vehicle and listening to Hound Dog for the 10th time was brutal. They had the JLU in a DFW dealer for over a month until got a new head unit and all sorted out.

Hope your follow-up in DFW goes better than my initial Jeep experience - fortunate the F150 has been great and sure yours will be too.

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Crew Cab Plat 6.5'
Glad you got your truck and made it safely home. Sorry you had all those issues for that long of a trip.

Long shot, but did you check to see that all your fuses were seated? This sounds like a signal or power loss issue with the sensors. There was also a post related to a loose orange connector in the engine compartment (top center if I remember correctly) but I can't remember if it was related to the sensor issues. I'll try to search for it.

We rented a Denali for a long trip a while back and the GPS tracking did for us exactly what you experienced. It kept showing us on a side road paralleling the interstate and telling us to turn left to get back on the interstate. This went about 30 miles or so until we stopped and parked for awhile.

The DOD can alter/spoof the GPS satellite accuracy at will. They can play with the time code which adjusts the positional accuracy on the ground for non-military receivers. During one of the middle East offensives they actually turned off the spoofing because they did not have enough military receivers and the ground forces were using commercial units.

Being that you experienced this on your phone and truck leads me to believe it was a satellite issue and not a truck one. You tick anyone off from the DOD lately? ?

I hope this gets resolved for you quickly. Best of luck and let us know what you find.

Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Kind of makes me want to say "What the ford, Ford?!"....

Bigdflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302a Sport
Sorry to hear about your situation! FWIW I’ve had excellent service at Five Star Ford NRH service shop. Didn’t purchase the truck there and they were still top notch.

RalpL

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 King Ranch, 601A, PB, 4x2, AMB/SG
Occupation
Retired
@Kidder , Really sorry to hear all this after the anticipation of being the first delivery from our build week. I'm just out of the hospital and beginning off-site treatment for three weeks. More later in our build week thread.

I experienced something like this in my Silverado 2500HD Duramax. It was worse b/c I couldn't drive more the 25 mph. Turned out to be the TCU. All the warning lights, bells, and buzzers - like a plane crashing.

My first thought was exactly what @TN Rotty suggested - fuses. So many stories about fuses not being seated. Certainly worth checking. Please keep us in the loop. All the best!

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
The DOD can alter/spoof the GPS satellite accuracy at will. They can play with the time code which adjusts the positional accuracy on the ground for non-military receivers. During one of the middle East offensives they actually turned off the spoofing because they did not have enough military receivers and the ground forces were using commercial units.

Being that you experienced this on your phone and truck leads me to believe it was a satellite issue and not a truck one. You tick anyone off from the DOD lately? ?

I hope this gets resolved for you quickly. Best of luck and let us know what you find.
Haha...My gps was working just fine all day yesterday....

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Crew Cab Plat 6.5'
Haha...My gps was working just fine all day yesterday....
You may have been (most likely were) using different satellites for your location than @Kidder was for his. There are 70+ in the constellation. Only one being off on it's time code signal (intentionally or not) can affect position.

And now the DOD knows they didn't get your satellite. :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.