Sponsored

FDRS or Forscan?

kb3421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2013 F150 XLT
Which is the best method for updates/mods......FDRS or Forscan and why?
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Updates can only be done with FDRS and a Mongoose ODBII tool. The Mongoose can also perform FORscan mods. If all you want to do is FORscan mods, a $35 OBDII tool from Amazon is all you need.

OP
OP

kb3421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2013 F150 XLT
Updates can only be done with FDRS and a Mongoose ODBII tool. The Mongoose can also perform FORscan mods. If all you want to do is FORscan mods, a $35 OBDII tool from Amazon is all you need.
Thanks! I've used OBDeleven on my wife's VW Atlas and my son's VW Golf. FORscan looks similar to the OBDeleven long coding process. Can anyone confirm? I'd like to get all the updates from Ford before I start any mods though. That said, would you buy a used Mongoose or shell out the $ for a new one?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thanks! I've used OBDeleven on my wife's VW Atlas and my son's VW Golf. FORscan looks similar to the OBDeleven long coding process. Can anyone confirm? I'd like to get all the updates from Ford before I start any mods though. That said, would you buy a used Mongoose or shell out the $ for a new one?
I'm not familiar with VW process. FORscan is easy and this forum is full of very knowledgeable and helpful people.

The first one I bought was used. It's going all around the country helping people get their trucks updated. If you are in no hurry, you can put yourself on the list to borrow one of mine.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...mming-vehicle-interface-lending-thread.13145/

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
There's cheaper options than mongoose cable that can be had for $150 or so. VCM2 or something 🤷‍♂️

FDRS is for updates and requires the above, the basic forscan stuff can be handled w/ cheaper units.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JScaro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 501.5A
Occupation
Beer Drinker
There's cheaper options than mongoose cable that can be had for $150 or so. VMC2 or something 🤷‍♂️

FDRS is for updates and requires the above, the basic forscan stuff can be handled w/ cheaper units.
@kb3421
Definitely would Not recommended using the "cheaper" adapter for FDRS updates but eveyone learns one way or another.

If you want the least amount of issues and the best support use the Mongoose for FDRS & ForScan.
If your only doing ForScan use the OBDLink EX

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
VCM clones CAN cause havoc on the vehicle submission data. It can corrupt it. The VX Nano at first seemed like a great option. Iceman got one and he did several updates and seemed that there was no issue. He then noticed he lost Securalert. It was due to corrupted vehicle submission. It came to be that the VX Nano was the reason for the corruption.

I know there are some "Good" quality VCM 2 clones available and that some people ahve had great luck but the issue is that its hard to know what youre going to get. By the time you get one find out its trash youre in it another 150$ and by then you could have gotten a mongoose.

As far as what is better. They are apples and oranges. Forscan has its uses and is incredibly powerful and important to what those uses are.

FDRS is what the dealers use to update and configure new modules for the vehicles. It has no real ability to modify or do custom programming in anyway. It is limited to loading whatever is on the As build servers or what Ford says is correct for the vin. You cant tell it to make a change outside what FOrd has available for maybe the few"Mods" Ford allows.

So it boils down to what you are wanting to do. For most Forscan is all you need. There are even versions of Forscan you can load firmware with a OBD link EX or the cable I use the VLinker. When you load firmware outside of FDRS though you better know very well what you are doing or you will cause major problems that you may not be able to correct.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
There's cheaper options than mongoose cable that can be had for $150 or so. VMC2 or something 🤷‍♂️

Was gonna say the same thing. I have a mongoose but also have a vxdiag that was about $100 and it works great. I just got the mongoose since I’m going to start helping people do FDRS and I just want to be sure but I’ve never had an issue with the vax diag.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I was going along just fine with the vcx-nano, early in the beginning of the infamous FDRS thread. Had a 2021 Platinum Powerboost at the time.

I could live with the various corrupted values that it would present in FDRS, because eventually the truck itself would communicate with the cloud and overwrite the data anomalies.

But then came along the 4-pack of updates that finally would enable Bluecruise. One of the 4 modules was the CCM.
The vcx nano would brick that module with that particular update.
(turns it Purple in FDRS)

I drove around with all the CCM features disabled while I waited for the Mongoose to arrive. Jesse had reached out immediately when he saw what happened and told me to just breath. :)
If the Mongoose didn't rescue the module, he was sure that he could.

The Mongoose, with FDRS, did in fact bring the purple CCM back to life.

The nano joined the draw in the toolboxe with a long and distinguished list of rarely used OBD adapters. :)

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I was going along just fine with the vcx-nano, early in the beginning of the infamous FDRS thread. Had a 2021 Platinum Powerboost at the time.

I could live with the various corrupted values that it would present in FDRS, because eventually the truck itself would communicate with the cloud and overwrite the data anomalies.

But then came along the 4-pack of updates that finally would enable Bluecruise. One of the 4 modules was the CCM.
The vcx nano would brick that module with that particular update.
(turns it Purple in FDRS)

I drove around with all the CCM features disabled while I waited for the Mongoose to arrive. Jesse had reached out immediately when he saw what happened and told me to just breath. :)
If the Mongoose didn't rescue the module, he was sure that he could.

The Mongoose, with FDRS, did in fact bring the purple CCM back to life.

The nano joined the draw in the toolboxe with a long and distinguished list of rarely used OBD adapters. :)
Surprised you don't just sell the nano and let it be someone else's problem

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Surprised you don't just sell the nano and let it be someone else's problem
Not my style.
I'd GIVE it to someone in the family if it could help them. But most of my family and closest friends just bring the problem to the barn, if you know what I mean. :)

My lift and tools are at their disposal.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Was gonna say the same thing. I have a mongoose but also have a vxdiag that was about $100 and it works great. I just got the mongoose since I’m going to start helping people do FDRS and I just want to be sure but I’ve never had an issue with the vax diag.
I’m going to have to update this to not recommend the VX Diag. Apparently it was causing some issues that Jesse was helping me with awhile back and I had no idea it was the cause because in all our conversations we never talked about how I was hooked up so I’m glad I now have the mongoose. 👍

dzacco

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Not my style.
I'd GIVE it to someone in the family if it could help them. But most of my family and closest friends just bring the problem to the barn, if you know what I mean. :)

My lift and tools are at their disposal.
Can I call you Uncle Snake?

Micasa1639

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platnium, 2017 BMW 540I xDrive
Occupation
Pilot
Anyone have a mongoose obdii for sale?
Sponsored