• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Would be cool, but that just looks like a ICE f150 in Camo.

Seeing some old 2019 photos w/ that extra height on the cab: https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g27408306/2021-ford-f-150-pickup-spied-gallery/?slide=11

So probably just a way they apply the camo.

The top of the F150 does have two random stand-offs, so that's probably it, not really sure why those exist

1633474973792.png

1633475100442.png
Those might be radar for the Blue Cruise. They could also be the SirusXM and Cellular Radio antennas.
Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...They could also be the SirusXM and Cellular Radio antennas.
That's what they are basically, the RADAR is in the very front of the truck either behind the bumper or grille. I forget exactly where.

The fastback improving the drag coefficient is pretty obvious but unfortunately, it's no longer really a pickup truck anymore. The utility of an open bed is what pickup trucks were originally designed for. The modern crew cab shortbed trucks are pretty much a workaround for CAFE standards, which were meant to make it difficult for consumers to buy full-size sedans and station wagons. Of course people didn't want to drive around shitbox economy cars, so SUVs and four door pickups took over the market.

Since fuel economy is not a factor yet with BEVs, it will be interesting to see if any manufacturers come out with a nice big station wagon. Since everyone and their cousin is debuting electric trucks lately.

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 aerodynamics modeling E31C2579-D885-4E09-BA5C-E31325FF0837
Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 aerodynamics modeling 60D438E4-062C-4473-B94F-AB71E49ECA41

Airspeed00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 502 SCREW
Would be cool, but that just looks like a ICE f150 in Camo.

Seeing some old 2019 photos w/ that extra height on the cab: https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g27408306/2021-ford-f-150-pickup-spied-gallery/?slide=11

So probably just a way they apply the camo.

The top of the F150 does have two random stand-offs, so that's probably it, not really sure why those exist

1633474973792.png

1633475100442.png
There is a spoiler add on for the cab available through Ford parts. The camo truck has it installed

Part #: VML3Z9944210A

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Spoiler on the cab, you say?

This truck was spotted near a Lightning that was charging at an EA station (black F-150 at left of picture is a charging Lightning).

Looks like something aero going on at the rear of the cab to me.

E_6KnvEUcAos6hQ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
Not new. I put one on my '19 Ranger Lariat...
Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 aerodynamics modeling IMG_1929.JPG

Sponsored

FXDR131

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT SC Sport - On Order - 2022 Lariat SC 4x4
Occupation
Business Owner
Spoiler on the cab, you say?

This truck was spotted near a Lightning that was charging at an EA station (black F-150 at left of picture is a charging Lightning).

Looks like something aero going on at the rear of the cab to me.

E_6KnvEUcAos6hQ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
The test mules for this current gen had that same lip on the rear of the cab, but never made it into production. Could be a fake-out or maybe they will.

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
Not new. I put one on my '19 Ranger Lariat...
IMG_1929.JPG
When you added the cab spoiler/wing and hard tonneau cover - did you see a difference in your highway mpg?

As far as aerodynamics go, depending on the cab spoiler/wing geometry (combined with a hard tonneau cover) it should almost be as good as a sloped/fastback bed cap.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The test mules for this current gen had that same lip on the rear of the cab, but never made it into production. Could be a fake-out or maybe they will.
Yeah, it may not be a meaningful difference on the gas version, but perhaps in the EV it is. For instance, if it improves range by 4%, but that takes it from 288 to 300 miles, then it's probably worth it to add $150/truck, cost.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
When you added the cab spoiler/wing and hard tonneau cover - did you see a difference in your highway mpg?

As far as aerodynamics go, depending on the cab spoiler/wing geometry (combined with a hard tonneau cover) it should almost be as good as a sloped/fastback bed cap.
Honestly don't remember. I always got good mpg with it.
IF you are going to put one on, it's easy. But if you have the Flipbak cover, that's a prob. To open them fully, the must lean against the back of cab. This will not enable that and can ruin the spoiler.
I did it for looks as I was building an Overland truck. I ended up getting rid of it and put a retract style cover on. Lesson learned the hard way. ;)
Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 aerodynamics modeling 002.JPG

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
There is a spoiler add on for the cab available through Ford parts. The camo truck has it installed

Part #: VML3Z9944210A
Interesting never saw that before.

Not sure if that's really a meaningful difference, all spoilers intended for aerodynamics I see have a pass-thru for air:

R1T

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 aerodynamics modeling 1633544141054

Ioniq5

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 aerodynamics modeling 1633544211053

Here's Hyundai's reason for the spoiler:

The rear spoiler is a key component in a vehicle's aerodynamic design. When the car is running, air flows all the way to the left and right, and up and down the car body. At this time, the rear spoiler reduces the force that lifts the car due to the air under the car body. At the same time, it improves driving stability by minimizing the eddy currents (vortex) that the air that has passed over the vehicle body and formed at the rear of the vehicle. The technology to reduce the lift is often applied to high-performance cars or race cars running at high speed, and the rear spoiler of a general passenger car is mostly to increase driving stability and fuel economy by adjusting the vortex of the air. For this reason, fine tuning such as the shape and angle of the rear spoiler is required based on the concept of the car.

https://news.hyundaimotorgroup.com/...Combination-The-aerodynamic-design-of-IONIQ-5

Sponsored

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
So what about a regular bed topper?

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
So what about a regular bed topper?
Not going to see much, if any, improvement, I would guess, because you're still going from full cross-section to nothing all at once... which is murder on aero.

The key is to slowly reduce your cross-sectional area until you get to ~50%, THEN cut it off.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
So the thought of the fast back is growing on me. It's basically a regular topper, just... triangle shaped. You still get the full height of the "interior" towards the cab, and the full height of the bed at the far back, so it's better than a tonneau cover (except you can't roll it back). Better than a hard bed cap (more space). Maybe no side access like a full topper, but I could see someone making one with operable side windows. I like how the example given has some pistons to make it work like a hatchback. Seems nice.

Idanno, it does look different for sure, but it could be alright. And 15% extra range brings you from 300 to 345 miles. If that's laden mileage, then if it's just me on the highway, I could get across the state and back on one charge. Might be seriously worth it.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Don't buy the fastback without seeing it in person. I saw one on the road a couple of years ago driving home from work. You can make your own mind up on how it looks. I personally didn't like it.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
So the thought of the fast back is growing on me. It's basically a regular topper, just... triangle shaped. You still get the full height of the "interior" towards the cab, and the full height of the bed at the far back, so it's better than a tonneau cover (except you can't roll it back). Better than a hard bed cap (more space). Maybe no side access like a full topper, but I could see someone making one with operable side windows. I like how the example given has some pistons to make it work like a hatchback. Seems nice.

Idanno, it does look different for sure, but it could be alright. And 15% extra range brings you from 300 to 345 miles. If that's laden mileage, then if it's just me on the highway, I could get across the state and back on one charge. Might be seriously worth it.
Just to be clear, theoretical 15% decrease in drag may not mean that THIS design gets 15% decrease in drag.

Also, air drag is the main component of total drag at interstate speeds, but it's not the only component. So, you're removing 15% of the aero drag, but that may only be 15% of aero drag may only be 10% of the TOTAL drag, for instance, with tire friction and such accounting for some of the total drag.

But yeah, I like the idea in general. It makes even more sense if you were going to buy a "regular" topper or bed cover in the first place.
Sponsored