• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EV Charging Network Will Target Interstates Before Expanding Into Remote Rural and Crowded Urban Areas

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I don't know about "most", but MME does not. Have to assume Lightning won't either.
Correct. And it is plastic anyway, the lock could easily be removed.

220 outlets all over the place with cords that owners maintain would yield hazards that a landlord would not want. Providing their own charger is more likely, with a fee to cover costs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think valets work for free, so that's added cost. Also you have to hand the valet your key AND your phone, so that they can activate charging.
Nobody needs my phone to charge my Mach-E. Plug it in.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I don't think valets work for free, so that's added cost. Also you have to hand the valet your key AND your phone, so that they can activate charging.
With ChargePoint you can go in the app and get the charger ready before you hand over the vehicle. All valet will have to do is plug in when he’s at the parking/charging spot.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it is free, landlord gives valet RFID card to activate, or you get a free one and attach it to your fob.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
With ChargePoint you can go in the app and get the charger ready before you hand over the vehicle. All valet will have to do is plug in when he’s at the parking/charging spot.
Won't he need to do something to get the EVSE to unlock the plug?

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chargepoint has RFID tags.

No phone needed.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chargepoint has RFID tags.

No phone needed.
Phone is free. So most people won't have the card, unless they know in advance that they need it. I've been using my phone for the last (almost) 8 years.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Phone is free. So most people won't have the card, unless they know in advance that they need it. I've been using my phone for the last (almost) 8 years.
RFID tag is free. I have one.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It used to be $10 per card. It's now $5. Until this valet idea was floated here today, There was no need to have one.
OMG...

Yes, I am making it up...

You can sign up for a free ChargePoint card online or via our ChargePoint mobile app. After signup you will receive a free card within 7-10 business days. Once it arrives, you must log in to your account and activate your card. Go to My Account and select Manage ChargePoint Cards.

https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/support-faq

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OMG...

Yes, I am making it up...

You can sign up for a free ChargePoint card online or via our ChargePoint mobile app. After signup you will receive a free card within 7-10 business days. Once it arrives, you must log in to your account and activate your card. Go to My Account and select Manage ChargePoint Cards.

https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/support-faq
I never got one. When I first signed up they told me it would cost $10. So this must have changed. I'm still not buying this valet idea.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
RFID card can also cover up the buttons when on ring so it doesn't set off alarm as much.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I never got one. When I first signed up they told me it would cost $10. So this must have changed. I'm still not buying this valet idea.
Your persistence is adorable. But, at least whenever I use public Charge Point locations, I open the app and use it to initiate the charger—and I do this several minutes, aka a few traffic lights, before arriving there. When I get there all I do is open the vehicle’s charge flap and plug in, there’s nothing else I have to do on either the EVSE or my phone. Same thing would apply for the valet setup, I guess I’d have to communicate to the valet exactly which EVSE is booked when I hand them the car keys. Doable.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Your persistence is adorable. But, at least whenever I use public Charge Point locations, I open the app and use it to initiate the charger—and I do this several minutes, aka a few traffic lights, before arriving there. When I get there all I do is open the vehicle’s charge flap and plug in, there’s nothing else I have to do on either the EVSE or my phone. Same thing would apply for the valet setup, I guess I’d have to communicate to the valet exactly which EVSE is booked when I hand them the car keys. Doable.
Unless there isn't a plug available now, but there will be in 20 minutes when another EV is finished charging. The valet driver can move cars around as needed, so you won't necessarily get to charge right away. RFID card fixes that potential problem.
Sponsored