Sponsored

Shoebox72069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
Dang! Between the BECM not going and the IPC is failing via USB with "USB error" at the top of the screen I seem to be striking out on everything. Did the PDM, DDM, APIM andTRM without issues....

However after APIM, I didnt see it change the Sync software version so not sure about that.

I have the recommended charger going in Power Supply Mode, FRDS is reporting 13.2v so I think I would be good.

Trying to avoid CAN update if possible...but I do have all the time in the world today so I might just roll that route and see what happens.
Sponsored

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I’ve noticed that the Mongoose adaptor and Forscan seems to not be able to read all modules. With my MX adaptor there are extra modules that show up and are readable, I can’t recall exactly without looking again but I believe they were SODL/SODR (Or SODCMC/SODCMD) and BCMC.

Is this inability a Forscan problem specific to the Mongoose type adaptors and should we log and send the the Forscan developers?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Are you reusing a saved profile in FORScan? Try scanning again without using any saved profiles

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Are you reusing a saved profile in FORScan? Try scanning again without using any saved profiles
I done it both ways, with the Mongoose those 3 modules don’t show up. With the MX adaptor they do, it’s weird.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Gwm is supposedly up to date. Tried to get BC full blown to trigger by pmi as new gwm but comes up with an Ethernet error. Ran self tests, etc. No errors. Same 4 ghost updates still not going away but indicate they are current. Tried reset the gwm from forscan. Didn’t help. Ugh. ?

Sponsored

ptricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
The PSCM module will also kick off the CCM/IPMA/CMR/PSCM chain. I'm guessing that if you attempt CCM, PSCM, or IPMA, you're likely going to be updating all 3 modules, so don't try to do any of those with a Nano device.
I (a Nano user) thought I could start the chain and cancel before the CCM tried to update. I don't have the BC prep, so hands-free was never my end goal with these updates. I figured I could get everything but CCM and wait for that update OTA.

And perhaps if I was really attentive, that could have worked. But I accidently started the CCM update. And so, the Amazon fairy shall deliver a Mongoose tomorrow.

I figure if I'm going to keep at this, then I need to upgrade my hardware accordingly :cool:.

Much thanks to @Jesse-Infotainment for offering the bench update. Awesome setup!

BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost (Job 2)
1647708161424.png

Beginning my long driver seat journey on my job 2 truck today. wish me luck! ?
This is the best location I have found to connect the negative lead to the truck. The other locations in this thread didn't work for me. I'm using the maintainer recommended.

Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS FB431DDC-2F22-455B-8025-5D093AE10C1D

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
All went well and I got my BlueCruise notification after the GWM update. Below was my sequence, and also the update method for reference for others.

PCMCANKey On, Engine Off
PSCMCANKey On, Engine Off
CCM (w/PSCM)CANKey On, Engine Off
CMR (w/PSCM)CANKey On, Engine Off
IPMA (w/PSCM)CANKey On, Engine Off
GWMUSBKey On, Engine Off until update installed, then Key On, Engine On
APIMUSBKey On, Engine On

The CMR module took about 50 minutes, the IPMA took about 2:35 start to finish. Overall the updates took me about 5 hours. The option for hands free didn't show up in the APIM until after letting the truck sit off for several minutes after the update finished. I had the notification for BlueCruise in FordPass shortly after the GWM update finished, but the APIM update needed done before it showed up there. I also don't think my Sync version changed despite the APIM update, but I'm not certain. My expiration date is showing 10-09-2022 like someone else posted here and I am not in Canada. I'm wondering if that is a hard coded date string and it just hasn't talked to Ford's servers yet for me. I was parked in a poor cellular reception area when it finished. Can't wait until tomorrow to try it out.

I also downloaded my AsBuilt data from Motorcraft before starting, going to compare to after the process later to see what may have changed. I did download it partway through and the oddities in text strings in the XML are gone now that I used the Mongoose.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Dang! Between the BECM not going and the IPC is failing via USB with "USB error" at the top of the screen I seem to be striking out on everything. Did the PDM, DDM, APIM andTRM without issues....

However after APIM, I didnt see it change the Sync software version so not sure about that.

I have the recommended charger going in Power Supply Mode, FRDS is reporting 13.2v so I think I would be good.

Trying to avoid CAN update if possible...but I do have all the time in the world today so I might just roll that route and see what happens.
I'm surprised that an APIM update succeeded but you didn't get a Sync version change. That doesn't sound right and I probably would stay focused on that before continuing with updates.

Do you remember getting an "update successful" Sync message, as well as the "Restart truck to finish the update"?
And, of course the infamous "remove USB" message?

It's possible that the files have been copied successfully from the USB to the truck onboard storage, but those files not be applied successfully yet.

And final question... No APIM update shows available in FDRS? (after a scan)

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Since @Snakebitten posted, I looked back through my pictures and I did get a version change on the APIM, but it is minor. It was 22028 and now it is 22034. That is going from memory on the version after updating today as I didn't grab a picture of it.

Also, I don't know if other PowerBoost owners see the same thing, but my truck does not stay above 12.5V with the NOCO Genius 5 hooked up at all. It isn't the recommended one and doesn't have a power supply mode, but last time my truck hung out around 11.9-12.1VDC the entire time. Today it was 12.2-12.4VDC using a different point for the ground clamp. The only time I saw it higher was when I first started (was out for a drive this morning) and when I was going to ignition on or truck running before an update started.

Sponsored

Shoebox72069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm surprised that an APIM update succeeded but you didn't get a Sync version change. That doesn't sound right and I probably would stay focused on that before continuing with updates.

Do you remember getting an "update successful" Sync message, as well as the "Restart truck to finish the update"?
And, of course the infamous "remove USB" message?

It's possible that the files have been copied successfully from the USB to the truck onboard storage, but those files not be applied successfully yet.

And final question... No APIM update shows available in FDRS? (after a scan)
So I have the VCX Nano, so no naughty scanning for me.

I don't know if the APIM that showed up was part of the residual 1.7.1 mess. That update was completed via FRDS and it asked for no USB drive ever... nor did it prompt for a restart. It did its thing, very clearly reset the APIM and rebooted. Said update was complete and it went away from the SW Updates tab. It took maybe 5 minutes to apply, if that. I was a bit suprised at the speed.

IPC looks to be more than half way through at this point via CAN. Its on block 4/5, 7100/12298

Might regret not having a Mongoose at this point since I'll still be leaving quite a bit on the table for the moment, yet I bought a month this time so perhaps I'll get one in the end.

Shoebox72069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since @Snakebitten posted, I looked back through my pictures and I did get a version change on the APIM, but it is minor. It was 22028 and now it is 22034. That is going from memory on the version after updating today as I didn't grab a picture of it.

Also, I don't know if other PowerBoost owners see the same thing, but my truck does not stay above 12.5V with the NOCO Genius 5 hooked up at all. It isn't the recommended one and doesn't have a power supply mode, but last time my truck hung out around 11.9-12.1VDC the entire time. Today it was 12.2-12.4VDC using a different point for the ground clamp. The only time I saw it higher was when I first started (was out for a drive this morning) and when I was going to ignition on or truck running before an update started.
I'm several hours deep on the IPC via CAN and my PB has been rock solid around 13.6v. I'm using the recommended battery charger that arrived yesterday. The battery charger I had was a bit old school and with my updates via the other month I dont think it was as performant since I was all over the damn place.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
^^^ (Imnuts) Thanks for confirming that an APIM update should absolutely alter the Sync version, even if a minor versioning increase.
If it didn't, then I suspect the module itself is not booting to the new build. It can be pesky, but it seems to play a significant role in many other modules behaving properly.

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
This is the best location I have found to connect the negative lead to the truck. The other locations in this thread didn't work for me. I'm using the maintainer recommended.

FB431DDC-2F22-455B-8025-5D093AE10C1D.jpeg
Why not follow that back to the battery and put the clips on the flat connector piece before the monitoring electronics? You would have more to bite on to and it is technically the same ground point but 8 inches closer to the battery.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Why not follow that back to the battery and put the clips on the flat connector piece before the monitoring electronics? You would have more to bite on to and it is technically the same ground point but 8 inches closer to the battery.
It's detailed somewhere in the thread. If you hook directly to the battery for both terminals, it can interfere with the module responsible for maintaining battery voltage.
Sponsored