• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Grid tied solar is absolutely the norm. This is how virtually every residential PV system works.
That’s not what he described, he stated; his panels were “not connected to his home”, but we’re connected to the grid. I agree grid tied Is the norm as in my case, but, in the event of a power failure, I CAN supply power to my home via my solar system where HE can’t.
Sponsored

Viper GTS

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 M3P, 2005 GX470
Occupation
God
That’s not what he described, he stated; his panels were “not connected to his home”, but we’re connected to the grid. I agree grid tied Is the norm as in my case, but, in the event of a power failure, I CAN supply power to my home via my solar system where HE can’t.
I'm on mobile so I haven't read 100% of this, but do you have batteries? That's the only situation I'm aware of in which you can continue to use a grid tied PV system during a power outage.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Same here, power outages are no issue

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Miner
I'm on mobile so I haven't read 100% of this, but do you have batteries? That's the only situation I'm aware of in which you can continue to use a grid tied PV system during a power outage.
I have batteries that can be tied in within an hour. The Lightning truck makes this task much, much easier. My cabin is connected to my solar and I struggle with the concept as Joe described. Maybe Joe is connected and doesn’t understand how the system does/can work in the event the power goes off (most people won’t know/have the ability to maintain power using solar). I’m certified low, medium and high voltage both surface and underground, have been for 25 years. When sh**t hits the fan, I’ll have power and it will be so nice to have the Ford Lightning EV to provide transportation and back up power.

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
Not for most people with solar. I have panels, and my panels do NOT power my house - they get fed into the grid and my bill gets reduced accordingly. I still get all my power from the grid, NOT my panels. You should be careful with your "factually incorrect" statements.
I'm not understanding this. Is your PV system at another location than your house? My system is grid tied and when I'm using electricity on a sunny day I'm fairly confident the energy I'm using is being produced by my panels. As others have noted because there is resistance in wire the electricity will travel the least resistant path which would be to my house (not a mile to my closest neighbor). When my system is producing more than I'm using my meter turns backward (and possibly to my closet neighbor) and at night or when my usage is high my meter turns forward.

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Not for most people with solar. I have panels, and my panels do NOT power my house - they get fed into the grid and my bill gets reduced accordingly. I still get all my power from the grid, NOT my panels.

For instance, if my neighborhood loses power, in the middle of the day, my house loses power because I do not power my house from my panels.

If you're completely off-grid and just charging a battery pack with your panels then yeah, you're good. But most people aren't doing that because of the cost.

You should be careful with your "factually incorrect" statements.
Do you have two separate meters? One outgoing, that measures what your panels put in the grid; and one incoming that measures what you’re consuming? And is there a connection between the grid sides of both those meters? If so, congratulations, the electricity produced by your panels is consumed by your home. The fact that it flows through the outgoing meter first, and then right back through the incoming meter is irrelevant. As is the fact that the system shuts down when it doesn’t see grid power during an outage, that’s just a safety feature.

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
Sorry to get further off topic but as a side note the reason power companies use high voltage lines is because high voltage low current has less resistance than low voltage high current. When I designed my PV system I ran all the panels in series which brings the voltage up to 350 volts but only 7 amps. If I had run them in parallel I would have had to use a larger gauge wire between the panels and the inverter.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Miner
About the most recent subject Farley tweeted this;

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
This actually show a lack of knowledge on how grid tie systems work. Grid tie systems turn off when the power is off so as not to back feed the system which is dangerous to grid workers. Electricity flow in the direction of lowest potential. The solar always has the highest potential in a grid tied system(when it is producing). If the house has lower potential it flows to the house. It will feed the grid if there is less demand from the house than is produced by the solar.
Grid tie solar can be turned into a hybrid system by adding a automatic transfer switch and batteries either AC or 'DC coupled. This will keep the solar feeding the house and the Grid workers safe.

I have grid tie and am in the process of converting to hybrid system. This system has currently been approved by my utility company

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Factually incorrect. Electricity will always go the path of least resistance. Therefore, if you plug in your EV to charge at home on a sunny day and have solar panels, the electrical energy from said panels will charge your EV. Not because you’re the greenest person around, but simply because it’s the closest place for it to flow, and therefore has the least resistance. I do, however, agree with you on the financial aspect and that there’s no free charging when you could be selling the electricity to your utility.
Nope, sorry - you miss the point - you are by definition not returning the solar power to the grid that would otherwise be going there - so the grid must level that power (replace it) with alternate power - and therefore your EV charging, even with your solar panels, is causing the grid leveling system to work that much harder. Fact. Again, I have a 32kw solar panel system (124 panels), produce twice what my oyster farm uses, charge my car at that property most times, yet DO NOT POWER MY CAR WITH SOLAR, full stop. It is powered off the grid. I separately sell power to the grid. That is how it works. Whether or not some amps do come off my panels, which is the case, is irrelevant. Does some of the power that goes into my car's batteries technically come out of my panels? Of course - but that's irrelevant. As long as I am grid-connected at the same time, I am not charging my car with those panels from an economic perspective - I am leeching off an integrated system and my COST is the opportunity cost of power that would have gone to the grid.

The fact that I have not had an electric bill for years and get a check from the local electrical cooperative for my net metering production also does NOT mean that I drive for free, as many people with solar assert. My check would be that much larger if I did not drive an EV - so there is a COST to driving the EV - my opportunity costs is the price of the power that the utility would otherwise have purchased from my panels absent the EV charging. I recognize that in some states the utility is not required to pay for excess production, but here in Virginia, they must do so at their avoidable (wholesale) cost. I am paid about $0.04/khw for excess generation.

If you were to see a schematic of my particular setup, you'd see that there are ten power poles going across my property, with two drops, one to the barn where the panels and inverters are concentrated, and one to my house, where the power uses are concentrated. My power monitoring systems are integrated via ethernet, between three buildings, but the power uses are actually in front of the power generation, which, for most home solar is also the case (the car charger is directly powered from the main panel or a direct sub panel, while the solar inverters are remote to a separate subpanel and meters, ancillary to the overall house power management). But that is all just details. The fact is that when you charge your car, a grid leveling system somewhere must work that much harder, whether or not you have solar panels - unless you are completely off-grid.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
This actually show a lack of knowledge on how grid tie systems work. Grid tie systems turn off when the power is off so as not to back feed the system which is dangerous to grid workers. Electricity flow in the direction of lowest potential. The solar always has the highest potential in a grid tied system(when it is producing). If the house has lower potential it flows to the house. It will feed the grid if there is less demand from the house than is produced by the solar.
Grid tie solar can be turned into a hybrid system by adding a automatic transfer switch and batteries either AC or 'DC coupled. This will keep the solar feeding the house and the Grid workers safe.

I have grid tie and am in the process of converting to hybrid system. This system has currently been approved by my utility company
This is correct when in generator mode, but incorrect when in solar production mode. When in solar production mode and the grid is "on", the solar is by definition backfeeding - just putting power down to the grid and the local uses. Electricity at that point is agnostic as to source - some comes from the grid, some from the panels, depending on proximity and demand/source amounts. A passing cloud or turning on an appliance changes that mix. All of us with solar or any form of local generation have switches that "turn off" our solar/generator grid connection when the grid is down, such as during a storm event. We either use our battery backup, or a generator during that period. This is a basic requirement to avoid hurting grid workers, as you say.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Not in my case. I definitely would not purchase an EV without the solar system to charge the battery. One very important factor that most people don’t realize just yet is when the increase of electricity hits the consumer, and YES! It’s gonna happen. They are shutting down affordable, reliable power generating stations and constructing “Green”, “Sustainable” plants (unproven technologies) plus the cost to reinforce the grid due to the demands brought on by the EV’s. Some of us is gonna pay big time when that happens, NOT ME (nor Dave).
Why not in your case? It is basic physics. Are you off-grid? Because if you are on grid, when you charge, you will be firing up an external grid-leveling system, whether or not you have solar panels. Fact.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Nope, sorry - you miss the point - you are by definition not returning the solar power to the grid that would otherwise be going there - so the grid must level that power (replace it) with alternate power - and therefore your EV charging, even with your solar panels, is causing the grid leveling system to work that much harder. Fact. Again, I have a 32kw solar panel system (124 panels), produce twice what my oyster farm uses, charge my car at that property most times, yet DO NOT POWER MY CAR WITH SOLAR, full stop. It is powered off the grid. I separately sell power to the grid. That is how it works. Whether or not some amps do come off my panels, which is the case, is irrelevant. Does some of the power that goes into my car's batteries technically come out of my panels? Of course - but that's irrelevant. As long as I am grid-connected at the same time, I am not charging my car with those panels from an economic perspective - I am leeching off an integrated system and my COST is the opportunity cost of power that would have gone to the web.

The fact that I have not had an electric bill for years and get a check from the local electrical cooperative for my net metering production also does NOT mean that I drive for free, as many people with solar assert. My check would be that much larger if I did not drive an EV - so there is a COST to driving the EV - my opportunity costs is the price of the power that the utility would otherwise have purchased from my panels absent the EV charging. I recognize that in some states the utility is not required to pay for excess production, but here in Virginia, they must do so at their avoidable (wholesale) cost. I am paid about $0.04/khw for excess generation.

If you were to see a schematic of my particular setup, you'd see that there are ten power poles going across my property, with two drops, one to the barn where the panels and inverters are concentrated, and one to my house, where the power uses are concentrated. My power monitoring systems are integrated via ethernet, between three buildings, but the power uses are actually in front of the power generation, which, for most home solar is also the case (the car charger is directly powered from the main panel or a direct sub panel, while the solar inverters are remote to a separate subpanel and meters, ancillary to the overall house power management). But that is all just details. The fact is that when you charge your car, a grid leveling system somewhere must work that much harder, whether or not you have solar panels - unless you are completely off-grid.
Another exhaustive answer, and yet you’re still wrong. I think you’re confusing two separate issues: on the financial aspect you’re absolutely correct. On the purely technical aspect, you undercut your own argument when you state that, yes, some of the electricity from your panels is charging your car. You say it’s irrelevant, but I think it’s exactly the subject of this discussion. The next sentence shows, again, how you’re conflating the economic and technical aspects. Absolutely understandable since you’re extremely knowledgeable about economics, but I don’t think that’s the main focus of the conversation here. Lastly, your point about grid leveling having to work harder and fire up the gas peaker plants every time my solar panels charge my EV just seems like odd whataboutism. Let’s take all the progress we can get and let’s not have the perfect be the enemy of the good. Cheers!

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Not to be critical but…….

Just a suggestion - Perhaps someone can start a New Thread like “Solar Generation for EV”?

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Miner
Why not in your case? It is basic physics. Are you off-grid? Because if you are on grid, when you charge, you will be firing up an external grid-leveling system, whether or not you have solar panels. Fact.
Sorry Dave you miss the point, currently my Power Boost, as good as it is cost me .15 cents per mile in fuel, I get paid .12 cents per kW for what I put on the grid, you sir are lucky as you are able to put 200% of your annual usage off PV that net you the income you speak of, me 150% and I’m tickled to death. Back to the subject, I can spend out of my fixed income .15 cents per mile and climbing OR I can not receive the .12 per kW that I get from the power company, put it in my truck and go 2.3 miles. So, my math is very simple and I save myself money in the long run. So far this year in the 7 months that I’ve owned my Power Boost I’ve spent over $4k in fuel out of my fixed income. If I can use my PV panels and cut that in half, I WIN.
PS. I LOVE coal fired power plants, and they are the least expensive, most reliable method to provide the power to our population needs and it gonna get interesting when all these EV’s need their batteries charge. There’s your economics from this old coal miner. Can’t wait for the next power outage in California and all those EVs setting at the charging stations and can’t get home. Or better yet, “ Sorry Boss, I’m late for work cause I had to stop and charge my car”.
Sponsored