First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
The Ford accessories dash cam has motion detection and will record when the vehicle is left unattended. Not 360 but total front and back. You can access all recorded incidents thru app on phone. I’ve had it on my 2020 Expedition for over a year and would recommend it if a dash cam is what your looking for. The app could be better but what app couldn’t?
Is this something that any Ford dealership can install? I’m assuming it needs to be hardwired.
Sponsored

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
@12wins - I could only find a rear facing dash cam on the Ford accessories website. Is there a front facing version as well?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance

GrandSport

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 f150, 2021 on order
Occupation
Admin
For my '21 I went with a rexing dash cam and a wiring plug that goes right into the factory plug on the rearview mirror. I highly recommend it, especially after spending way too much time installing a dash cam on my wife's Volvo that required removing a bunch of trim panels (and breaking tabs on some of course), snaking wires, tapping/splicing wires, and a lot of cursing.
The entire install on the F150 with the plug took less than 5 minutes. No removing trim panels, accessing fuse boxes, running wires, etc. Just unplug the harness from behind mirror, plug in the Dongar SImpleUSB plug, plug in the camera with the supplied short USB cable, and mount camera to windshield. Done.
The Rexing camera gets the job done for the price, has 4k resolution, and has an app that makes it easy to pull the recordings off it, right onto your phone.
Camera link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wiring plug link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088P4VFQ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

gspete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I will be installing a BlackVue DR750 soon, it's sitting on my table waiting for enough time.

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I’ve had a bunch of cheap and expensive ones that are are usually some off brand probably from China. Nothing ever seems to make it with the summer heat. But I bought a Garman, and it has been the best dash cam I’ve ever owned. So far I’m going on two years and it still runs with no problems. When I get my new truck I will be purchasing a brand new Garman as my own experience has shown me it’s one of the better options out there. You can also get A rear facing camera, and then their app will merge the two videos so it’s pretty cool.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I'll be transferring my roav c1 that was in my Ram. I almost forgot it was hanging in the Ram. I've never needed to access the recordings which is a good thing.

What kind of plug is on the back of the mirror? USB?

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I’ve had a bunch of cheap and expensive ones that are are usually some off brand probably from China. Nothing ever seems to make it with the summer heat. But I bought a Garman, and it has been the best dash cam I’ve ever owned. So far I’m going on two years and it still runs with no problems. When I get my new truck I will be purchasing a brand new Garman as my own experience has shown me it’s one of the better options out there. You can also get A rear facing camera, and then their app will merge the two videos so it’s pretty cool.
@Asphaltman - Can you share more about the exact brand, model etc. ? Also, how about installation? [I too am in SLC, so recommendations for the installation place as well as good Ford service are appreciated.

Sponsored

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
@Asphaltman - Can you share more about the exact brand, model etc. ? Also, how about installation? [I too am in SLC, so recommendations for the installation place as well as good Ford service are appreciated.
Sure, I have the 66w. Super easy self install. I did purchase the Suction cup mount, as the unit comes with an adhesive magnet. it comes with a long power plug cable that I easily tucked into the headliner, across the passenger side windshield, down the post to the floor, then under the mat, and discreetly up the side and into the center console. I have the wire completely hidden. You can also buy a hard wire kit, and that would be nearly as easy. Operation is awesome with their app. You can always pop out the SD card and just download footage that way. Like I said, I’ve owned so many of the top Amazon ones, all have been junk. The Garmin is the best one from a USA company. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/661787/pn/010-02231-15

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
The best dealer is Perfornance Ford. For service talk with Nic at their truck land location in Woods Cross.

YOCUBED

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GLE 450, 2016 BMW M3, 2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Emergency Physician
Jumping in this thread to say that I am going with the Thinkware U1000 with cellink battery. Have this exact setup in the wife's GLE and an older Thinkware F770 with battery in my M3 and have been quite pleased with both. It's sitting on my shelf waiting for the truck to get here if it ever comes

heffer86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A
For my '21 I went with a rexing dash cam and a wiring plug that goes right into the factory plug on the rearview mirror. I highly recommend it, especially after spending way too much time installing a dash cam on my wife's Volvo that required removing a bunch of trim panels (and breaking tabs on some of course), snaking wires, tapping/splicing wires, and a lot of cursing.
The entire install on the F150 with the plug took less than 5 minutes. No removing trim panels, accessing fuse boxes, running wires, etc. Just unplug the harness from behind mirror, plug in the Dongar SImpleUSB plug, plug in the camera with the supplied short USB cable, and mount camera to windshield. Done.
The Rexing camera gets the job done for the price, has 4k resolution, and has an app that makes it easy to pull the recordings off it, right onto your phone.
Camera link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wiring plug link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088P4VFQ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Can you show us some pictures of this install? Is the Wiring plug always powered on or just when the vehicle is running?
Sponsored