Center console lid question

Los150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5L EB Platinum w/BAP
Occupation
Info Tech
I have a '23 Platinum. When I open my center console storage and raise the lid all the way up, then let it go, it wants to just fall back down. Is it supposed to stay open or is it really designed so that you have to constantly hold it open? Seems rather dumb or mine is malfunctioning. I figured I'd ask.
Sponsored

Mani

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
It's supposed to stay open. I believe there are videos on people inserting quarters into the hinge that changes the spring profile and will keep it open.

Shouldn't come to that, but for some it does

tidefan1967

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
LNG Technician
I have a '23 Platinum. When I open my center console storage and raise the lid all the way up, then let it go, it wants to just fall back down. Is it supposed to stay open or is it really designed so that you have to constantly hold it open? Seems rather dumb or mine is malfunctioning. I figured I'd ask.
Check YouTube. There’s a few videos where guys actually put a nickel under the two springs that hold the lid up.

OP
OP
Los150

Los150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Info Tech
Searching now. Thank you. That's just ridiculous though. SMH

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
🤣 First hack I did on day one. Look up on YouTube. Pop off the cover ever the spring is, add 2 nickels and 2 dimes under the spring causing more tension.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Mine stays open on the STX. Curious what you find, I’m sure the hinge has a spring, perhaps it’s not in correctly.

Eff0neFitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT 302A SuperCrew 3.5L EB FX4 Trailer Tow Pkg
I believe it's a mis-design. It was likely meant to stay open, but the spring is too weak. I need to do the nickel mod myself.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I believe it's a mis-design. It was likely meant to stay open, but the spring is too weak. I need to do the nickel mod myself.
I am waiting to see if the 2024s fixed this issue with a stronger spring. If they did, I think I will order some new ones and go the "replace them" route.

Probably won't happen, but I hope.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Los150

Los150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Info Tech
So I did the nickel mod. I'm letting the dealer fix it because even with 2 nickels on each side, it's still so weak that it lets the lid fall, albeit a tad slower than before. LOL

Kshort62

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 limited Powerboost,
Occupation
Process Control Technician
🤣 First hack I did on day one. Look up on YouTube. Pop off the cover ever the spring is, add 2 nickels and 2 dimes under the spring causing more tension.
Can’t believe we have to do such cheap ass hacks to make things work like they should …

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
Can’t believe we have to do such cheap ass hacks to make things work like they should …
Take it to the dealer and let them do it. But dollars to donuts, if they put a real stout spring in there, we would have complaints about the dang thing is too hard to close!

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
You ain't lying, when me and my son were working on it after we got it fixed I looked up at him and said this was a $60,000 truck and we have to do a hack on for 35 cents. And then pop the hood and push the fuses in and add more differential fluid. It's one of the reasons I'm keeping my 2000 model f150, it'll probably still out last this one, don't let me wrong I love my 21, but I'm just worried about its longevity.

OP
OP
Los150

Los150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Info Tech
It's one of the reasons I'm keeping my 2000 model f150, it'll probably still out last this one, don't let me wrong I love my 21, but I'm just worried about its longevity.
Seems like everything, including cars are all disposable now.
Sponsored