OP
OP
fordhouston

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
As you indicated, some manufacturers have included the ability to use the cargo lights while driving. However, that doesn't mean it is legal.

Per the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS), the high mounted brake light maybe combined with cargo lights (S5.4a), but the operation of which shall not interfere with the effectiveness of the brake light (S5.1.3). Additionally, since you are in Texas, Texas law states that lights mounted on the rear must be red or reflect red with exceptions given for turn signals (red, amber, or yellow) from 547.303, white license plate light (547.322), and reverse lights (547.322).

Additionally, items that reduce the light from the taillights (smoked out/blacked out) are also illegal per federal and Texas laws. The flashing red brake lights (which I love) are also illegal.

So, as 780 said, it isn't advised.
who said outlaws don’t exist.. lol?

OP
OP
fordhouston

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
Exactly. I wouldn't want to be the guy following someone with those lights tuned on.

I'd probably throw on my brights until the cab lights were turned off.

Also, what kind of cargo are you hauling late at night that you need to keep an eye on?

:oops:
for someone to intentionally run their cargo lights in an unfaithful manner i totally understand your point. However there are the few out there that genuinely would use its feature accordingly in a safe manner.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
When did that law change then, because it is definitely illegal for a manufacturer/dealer to sell a car that violates a law. I have owned trucks where I could turn on the cargo bed light (3rd brake light one) from the cab with a factory switch while in motion.
There isn't a law against manufacturing something in a way that can violate a law if used "incorrectly." The law is against using the lights while operating the vehicle, not making a lighting system that can be operated in motion. There are good reasons you could use it in motion, most glaringly (har har) on private property.

Your truck can break the speed limit, but that's on you and not the maker.

Reactions: 780

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
There isn't a law against manufacturing something in a way that can violate a law if used "incorrectly." The law is against using the lights while operating the vehicle, not making a lighting system that can be operated in motion. There are good reasons you could use it in motion, most glaringly (har har) on private property.

Your truck can break the speed limit, but that's on you and not the maker.
The point about legality from the manufacturer vs user standpoint must be it. It seems that there are many things that Ford had opted to not allow (presumably from a mitigation of liability standpoint on their end) that other manufacturers will allow. The stupid "full view not available" for the rearview camera in motion must have some reasoning along these lines since it would be so simple for Ford to remove with an update, and other manufacturers do not have this restriction.

Sponsored

mason979

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
inspektor
Exactly. I wouldn't want to be the guy following someone with those lights tuned on.

I'd probably throw on my brights until the cab lights were turned off.

Also, what kind of cargo are you hauling late at night that you need to keep an eye on?

:oops:
I use my truck to haul motorcycles mostly in the bed. Sometimes they shift around a little bit and I like to be able to flip on the light and take a quick peek in my rear view mirror to make sure all is well. Only have it on for a second or two at most.

Reactions: 780

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I use my truck to haul motorcycles mostly in the bed. Sometimes they shift around a little bit and I like to be able to flip on the light and take a quick peek in my rear view mirror to make sure all is well. Only have it on for a second or two at most.
Sidebar.... Did you order the factory Ford ramps to load up the bikes?

Wondering as I picked this up a couple months ago:

Ford F-150 cargo bed lights on while driving? Bike 1

And back on topic, could the lights on the bedsides be used for this?
Maybe not as intrusive to anyone behind you.
I've never tried to turn them on while driving. For that matter never even checked to see if there's a switch to turn them on inside the cab.

mason979

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
inspektor
Sidebar.... Did you order the factory Ford ramps to load up the bikes?

Wondering as I picked this up a couple months ago:

Bike 1.jpg

And back on topic, could the lights on the bedsides be used for this?
Maybe not as intrusive to anyone behind you.
I've never tried to turn them on while driving. For that matter never even checked to see if there's a switch to turn them on inside the cab.
No, I use two 9’ long arched ramps because my bikes are lowered and stretched for drag racing so they bottom out on most ramps.

those two ramps combined with a condor wheel chock, and canyon dancer with two self retracting ratchet straps makes it super easy to load and secure the bike by yourself. I can have a bike loaded and strapped down in less than 5 minutes by myself.

Back to the lights though, yes, the bedside lights themselves would be PERFECT but there’s no way to activate them while driving. There’s a button in the cab by the headlight knobb, but it doesn’t work when you’re going over like 5mph
Sponsored