Sponsored

cargo bed lights on while driving?

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
I sometimes want to see my cargo in the truck bed while driving at night. Problem is.. it's so freaking dark outside that i can't see sh*t unless the cargo bed lights are on. THEN problem is that i can't activate the cargo bed lights unless my truck is at a full complete stop. Is there anyway to change this via FORSCAN??
Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I doubt it. By law, you can't have rear-facing white lights while driving.

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Are we talking bed lights that dont face backwards or the cargo light in the 3rd brake light?

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Are we talking bed lights that dont face backwards or the cargo light in the 3rd brake light?
I hope not the 3rd brake light cargo lights.

Can't say I'd advise driving with those on.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
now that might work. the side led lights

Sponsored

CycleChem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
Toyota and others say otherwise.. lol
As you indicated, some manufacturers have included the ability to use the cargo lights while driving. However, that doesn't mean it is legal.

Per the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS), the high mounted brake light maybe combined with cargo lights (S5.4a), but the operation of which shall not interfere with the effectiveness of the brake light (S5.1.3). Additionally, since you are in Texas, Texas law states that lights mounted on the rear must be red or reflect red with exceptions given for turn signals (red, amber, or yellow) from 547.303, white license plate light (547.322), and reverse lights (547.322).

Additionally, items that reduce the light from the taillights (smoked out/blacked out) are also illegal per federal and Texas laws. The flashing red brake lights (which I love) are also illegal.

So, as 780 said, it isn't advised.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
As you indicated, some manufacturers have included the ability to use the cargo lights while driving. However, that doesn't mean it is legal.

Per the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS), the high mounted brake light maybe combined with cargo lights (S5.4a), but the operation of which shall not interfere with the effectiveness of the brake light (S5.1.3). Additionally, since you are in Texas, Texas law states that lights mounted on the rear must be red or reflect red with exceptions given for turn signals (red, amber, or yellow) from 547.303, white license plate light (547.322), and reverse lights (547.322).

Additionally, items that reduce the light from the taillights (smoked out/blacked out) are also illegal per federal and Texas laws. The flashing red brake lights (which I love) are also illegal.

Exactly. I wouldn't want to be the guy following someone with those lights tuned on.

I'd probably throw on my brights until the cab lights were turned off.

Also, what kind of cargo are you hauling late at night that you need to keep an eye on?

:oops:

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5

When did that law change then, because it is definitely illegal for a manufacturer/dealer to sell a car that violates a law. I have owned trucks where I could turn on the cargo bed light (3rd brake light one) from the cab with a factory switch while in motion.
Sponsored