Sponsored

California Proposal To Limit Speeds To 10 Over Speed Limits!

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I live here because it makes it financial sense and because I like the availability of things to do.

Both me and my wife make 2x what we would somewhere else.

Our property taxes are "locked in" due to California's property tax rules, so I pay taxes on my house from 15 years ago. If anything the taxation is "oppressive" to those who are new to California, those that have been here for a while its a tax haven. I've looked at other states and when I combine income, property, and car taxes I would pay more somewhere else.

There are 300 days of sunshine, in the winter when it is "cold" I have to bear the indignity of wearing a hoodie instead of just a T-Shirt. I don't even know what a snow tire looks like. Oh, and amazing roads to drive fun cars on, so many great roads. I live an hour from the beach, two hours from the forest, and three hours from the snow (that I usually avoid, though once in a while it's a good time).
I enjoy fishing, shooting, car culture, and a ton of other things that people think for some reason you can't do in California.

Though the number one reason to live in California? It is hilarious how it lives rent free in so many people's heads.
So when they repeal “Prop 13” which they are ACTIVELY attempting to do… will you move?

And I don’t know what “amazing roads” you’re talking about but the recently repaved (at a tune of MILLIONS of dollars) 101 through the Peninsula is a “slalom course” of potholes!

And are you travelling across that new 16.5 BILLION DOLLAR Bay Bridge that’s being held into place by SNAPPED BOLTS that can’t be repaired?

And how’s your PG&E bill going.. or are you paying $4.00+ for gas?
(Rhetorical question)

And what happened to the BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in “Budget Surplus” that SUDDENLY turned into a BILLION DOLLAR “DEFICIT”?

WHO do you “think” Sacramento is going bill for that?
TEXAS MAYBE? FLORIDA?

Enjoy your “great weather” and “subsidized paychecks” until you can’t anymore. Then just stay there!
Sponsored

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
How many drivers text while driving? How many drivers are drunk driving home after bar closing times? Worrying about 10 miles over is insane. Most states have laws forbidding remaining in the left lane if you are not passing. How is passing permitted if you can't exceed the speed limit?

spireland

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (planned), C8
Occupation
Medical Equipment
So when they repeal “Prop 13” which they are ACTIVELY attempting to do… will you move?

And I don’t know what “amazing roads” you’re talking about but the recently repaved (at a tune of MILLIONS of dollars) 101 through the Peninsula is a “slalom course” of potholes!

And are you travelling across that new 16.5 BILLION DOLLAR Bay Bridge that’s being held into place by SNAPPED BOLTS that can’t be repaired?

And how’s your PG&E bill going.. or are you paying $4.00+ for gas?
(Rhetorical question)

And what happened to the BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in “Budget Surplus” that SUDDENLY turned into a BILLION DOLLAR “DEFICIT”?

WHO do you “think” Sacramento is going bill for that?
TEXAS MAYBE? FLORIDA?

Enjoy your “great weather” and “subsidized paychecks” until you can’t anymore. Then just stay there!
I'm not a big fan of Prop 13, I think its kind of BS. Helps me now, though I would zero problem if it went away. I think it would help us reduce housing prices. It causes people like me to never want to move, therefore housing supply is limited.

As far as roads, I don't think you understand what a fun road is. Not roadbed quality, fun to drive on. Here's a great list of just the fun roads to do in the Bay Area. Basically, squiggles on the map, in a fast car. California has a lot of those.

https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us...driving-roads-for-a-sunday-morning-blast.html

Sure, electricity is expensive. Sure gas is expensive. But I make so much more it doesn't matter. And a lot of things cost me the same, like my new F150 I have on order, costs me the same here as it does if I lived in rural Idaho. You have too look at it all income/expenses in total.

spireland

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (planned), C8
Occupation
Medical Equipment
Oh, and I live 70 minutes from the beach, 20 minutes from forest, get to enjoy seasons, and pay a lot less taxes! It’s a blessing that we have such a great country to live in, with lots of wonderful choices, from sea to shining sea!
Really that's the great thing about America, choices and freedom. People should get to live where they want to live, the way they want to live. For some reason people seem to have a problem with that and I just don't get it. That was the America I grew up in, choices and freedom, not telling other people how to live.

snapper9601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 4x4 Lariat 500A SCrew 2.7EB 145"
California has the lowest average IQ of any state in the union. Fun fact.
lol...
That explains why I always seem to be surrounded by fucking morons when I am driving. I was beginning to think it was something much more simple, my truck is an idiot magnet.

Sponsored

darkhorse

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
retired
I’m so glad I moved away from that nanny state…. Was there for 24 years. Until you actually move away, you don’t actually realize how much better your life can be elsewhere.

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
And before too many more people jump all over “crazy-commie-liberal- California”, remember that since 1967, CA has had more GOP governors than Dem. (It’s even more lopsided as you go back to 1900!)

Since 1900, CA has voted GOP presidents the same number of times its voted Dem presidents (tho the last 8 elections have been Dem and last 3 gov elections have been Dem, so I get the recent history skewing everyone’s view).

Back to topic, this proposal was raised by ONE dude from a San Fran area, which has been a pretty liberal place for a long time, and it’s aimed at reducing pedestrian deaths due to speeding (tho I’m sure many will think of different ulterior motives, and that’s fine…everyone will interpret intent differently).

I have to chuckle at this whole thing because….i mean the car culture in California is as strong as it gets, man!!! If you’ve lived there, you know that cars are LIFE for many people. The average highway speed is about 80mph in the SLOW lane (where I lived in San Diego), as long as traffic wasn’t REALLY bad. I’ve honestly never lived anywhere that had that many cars going that fast every hour of every day.

Anyway, I Lived for 4 yrs in So Cal and it’s a complex, varied place like just about anywhere else in the US. Feel free to bash this proposal for fun - it ain’t getting close to being passed.
Referring to your first two paragraphs, this just shows how fast dems can mess things up when they're in power.

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Oh, and I live 70 minutes from the beach, 20 minutes from forest, get to enjoy seasons, and pay a lot less taxes! It’s a blessing that we have such a great country to live in, with lots of wonderful choices, from sea to shining sea!
Not to brag but I have my own beach, forest and also enjoy the four seasons. And my taxes are reasonable for what I have.

Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I was in the north ridge quake. Didn't own property at the time and found it quite fun. For several days after the fact the aftershocks rocked me to sleep.

I do not miss that state and I could live out there free if I wanted to. No thanks.

CA is the 9th largest economy if treated as a country. Still doesn't make any of the nonsense that occurs there, okay.
I've often wondered how much of a hit your economy would take if all the China imports didn't come through your ports.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I've often wondered how much of a hit your economy would take if all the China imports didn't come through your ports.
Hopefully we're able to replace china with mexico with touch of india mixed in.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I guess I understand the 'freedom' thing with high powered vehicles, and I spent the first 45 years of my life going way over the speed limit often.

However, if the law is XX, why do we need vehicles that can do 2x that speed limit?

I used to ride sportbikes and used them proper like, but a new R1 can double the speed limit, in 1st gear, and it has 6 of them. That's obviously highly illegal to use, so why does it even exist?

I've often thought it would be great if my vehicles automatically topped out at say 8% over the current speed limit for my own good. Maybe at the track they could open up?
Sponsored