Broken Axle....?

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Last weekend was going fishing, woke up before the sun to a frosty morning -2 degrees celcius. Got in truck and when I was turning I was getting a bad shake/ clunk. both directions. Slowly got better as I drove the 1km to the river. Parked it there and left it for the morning as we hiked to fish. Came back and things had warmed up and things felt fine driving after that. Later that day was in a field and had to back out and was spinning, put into 4H and 4L and rear was still spinning front wasn't engaging 4wd.

Came home sunday and called the dealer monday morning they got me in for an appointment on Friday. Drove the truck to work and back all week ~10km each way without issue except turning left out of the work parkade I would get a clunk coming back to center.

Dealer called me friday afternoon after they did some diagnostics and said I needed a new front driver axle as it was broken. It would be covered under warranty but would need a couple days to get the part in so they put me in a loaner.

Service has been excelent and just got a call today that it was fixed and I could pick it up.

My question however is what happened to break the front axle? Is this a common issue? (truck only has 20,000kms) No hard off roading just some gravel roads and the odd farmers field.

The only thing I could think of was about a month ago I needed 4wd to back out of a slopped gravel driveway to not spin the back tires and when I put into 4wd, when I started to move there was a big clunk and shake and the dash quickly flashed a wrench symbol and a message but it went away too quickly before I could read it. Never had a problem for 2 weeks after that until it started making that noise and clunking the saturday morning I mentioned above.
Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I don't think you're going to find a good answer other than the axle was defective from poor/improper manufacturing, and snapped.

It is certainly possible it was damaged during your previous endeavor, but if it can't stand up to that small amount of abuse, it was defective anyways.

I know it is a pain to deal with, but issues like this are exactly why the warranty exists, for manufacturing defects. I am glad it all worked out.

OP
OP
DMuiser

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I don't think you're going to find a good answer other than the axle was defective from poor/improper manufacturing, and snapped.

It is certainly possible it was damaged during your previous endeavor, but if it can't stand up to that small amount of abuse, it was defective anyways.

I know it is a pain to deal with, but issues like this are exactly why the warranty exists, for manufacturing defects. I am glad it all worked out.

That's what I was assuming but needed someone else to say it so ease my mind and put my confidence back into the truck being able to do what I will need it to do.
Sponsored