First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT Contractor
Truck was making crazy sounds. You have all heard the story. Took it in and the axle bolt was sheared off. Dealer says a week to fix it. 2023 Powerboost max tow with 12K miles. Has anyone had this fixed permanently? Im worried this will be a regular thing. Im tempted to sorce a bolt myself and replace them all. Im feeeling sorry I traded in my perfectly reliable 2017 F150 for this powerboost. Dealer states its not an updated part and it likely is the way it was installed. I dont know how much I believe that. Its a bolt.... there are thousands of bolts on the truck holding fine.

Im just venting. I know this topic is beat to death, I just want to get in on here so we can keep track of how many times this has happened.
Sponsored

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
Am so sorry that u have had to deal with this on a brand new truck. There has been several 2023 now with the same event. Starting to suggest that maybe Ford hasnt gotten this fixed yet.

Hope the repair goes quick for u.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Does feeeeel like whatever it was behind the first "batch/rash" of faulty assembly might be repeating again?

It's such a head scratcher. You'd think it's just not that complicated. Big bolt wouldn't seem to be unduly stressed considering that when it breaks nothing much happens.

It's crazy. Is it simply being over torqued at assembly?

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Does feeeeel like whatever it was behind the first "batch/rash" of faulty assembly might be repeating again?

It's such a head scratcher. You'd think it's just not that complicated. Big bolt wouldn't seem to be unduly stressed considering that when it breaks nothing much happens.

It's crazy. Is it simply being over torqued at assembly?

It's a design problem. Has anyone seen this designed used on any other vehicle?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Guess what, it's not on my F150 either and has a 0.0% chance of occurring.

I'd bet $1 you have no idea what exactly the axle assembly of the vehicles you listed even consist of.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
It's a design problem. Has anyone seen this designed [sic] used on any other vehicle?
IMO it's speculation that this is a "design problem"; IMO highly speculative given that far from all, or even most, Max Tow (3/4-float axle) trucks have experienced the failure even with similar miles and use compared to some which have.

As to the use of design features not popularized among other manufacturers ... I'll just offer that I'm very glad Ford pioneers many design features ahead of other manufacturers. I greatly enjoy and am thankful for many of those unique-to-Ford design elements.

Sure, others pioneer their own features; and of course, it's well known that none of those have ever suffered 'teething problems' :cautious: (sarcastic).

YMMV, no worries!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!

It's such a head scratcher.
A head scratcher indeed.

Really puzzling to me that the occurrence, which does seem to be 'enjoying' some degree of recurrence, seems to be so inconsistent over time of production.

Perhaps small consolation but it is some consolation to know (by virtue of CSP and supplemental CSP) that Ford is aware of and attempting to address to the issue. Methinks the saga is far from over, that there's more to come from Ford.

I, for one, choose to maintain optimism because I so very much enjoy my F150 with Max Tow.

YMMV.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
It's a design problem. Has anyone seen this designed used on any other vehicle?
Guess what, it's not on my F150 either and has a 0.0% chance of occurring.

I'd bet $1 you have no idea what exactly the axle assembly of the vehicles you listed even consist of.
IMO it's speculation that this is a "design problem"; IMO highly speculative given that far from all, or even most, Max Tow (3/4-float axle) trucks have experienced the failure even with similar miles and use compared to some which have.

As to the use of design features not popularized among other manufacturers ... I'll just offer that I'm very glad Ford pioneers many design features ahead of other manufacturers. I greatly enjoy and am thankful for many of those unique-to-Ford design elements.

Sure, others pioneer their own features; and of course, it's well known that none of those have ever suffered 'teething problems' :cautious: (sarcastic).

YMMV, no worries!
A head scratcher indeed.

Really puzzling to me that the occurrence, which does seem to be 'enjoying' some degree of recurrence, seems to be so inconsistent over time of production.

Perhaps small consolation but it is some consolation to know (by virtue of CSP and supplemental CSP) that Ford is aware of and attempting to address to the issue. Methinks the saga is far from over, that there's more to come from Ford.

I, for one, choose to maintain optimism because I so very much enjoy my F150 with Max Tow.

YMMV.

Shouldn't there be a huge threaded spindle on the end of the half shaft with splines. The hub slips over the spines and you put a huge nut on the threaded spindle with a locking pin, locking ring, or just staking the huge nut to the spindle?

This has been done... since the beginning of automobiles.

I'm somewhat confused as to how Ford's max tow axle design works.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Thanks for the heads up on those pictures.
I gotta admit that I was expecting the splinesd at the differential to be longer and chunkier. (I'm no engineer 😎)
Sponsored