Another broken Axle bolt

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
It's literally hundreds of vehicles. There's only so many ways to install a bolt. The point of failure should be at least several times the torque spec. Dismissal of the notion that this is very likely a design issue is almost hilarious if it wasn't so serious.

Ford makes mistakes and that's fine, but the responsibility has to follow mistakes right? How many times have cam phasers, trans software, cdf drums, stupid axle bolts, etc happened? Customer satisfaction programs irrespective of mileage should be available for design issues full stop.
Sponsored

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew / 2020 Expedition MAX 4x4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Took my truck in to the dealer for the tailgate step replacement and they found a broken axle bolt! I knew it was going to happen eventually but had hoped they had gotten it solved by the time my truck was built. Apparently I was wrong!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Dang. A 2023 sheared?

That might be enough to convince me to go ahead and install the new bolts preemptively. I figure I have nothing to lose.

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Dang. A 2023 sheared?

That might be enough to convince me to go ahead and install the new bolts preemptively. I figure I have nothing to lose.
Yep! I have 18.5 K on the truck. I was surprised it happen to a 2023. Thought they had it under control! Have not done any towing yet and no off road driving either. Mostly highway milage. I have a 16’ car hauler but currently use my wife’s 2020 Expedition.

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
Took my truck in to the dealer for the tailgate step replacement and they found a broken axle bolt! I knew it was going to happen eventually but had hoped they had gotten it solved by the time my truck was built. Apparently I was wrong!
Sorry this has happened to you. A 2023 non powerboost. Definitely highlights Ford hasn't solved this issue.

Sponsored

Hog_Johnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Dang. A 2023 sheared?

I'm trying to decide if I want to take mine in to have them do the CSP, or just install the new bolts I've had for over a year and call it good.

JBMCEQY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 XLT 5.0
Yep! I have 18.5 K on the truck. I was surprised it happen to a 2023. Thought they had it under control! Have not done any towing yet and no off road driving either. Mostly highway milage. I have a 16’ car hauler but currently use my wife’s 2020 Expedition.
I'm confused by the dates in your signature. So you took ownership of a brand new truck, and in 3 days, you've driven it 18,500 miles and broken an axle bolt in the process? Well I'm not surprised it broke given that you must've been cruising at 257 mph to achieve that!

Michael1955

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2011 Crown Vic
Occupation
Retired Pharmacist
I always read threads concerning Axle bolts since my max tow hasn’t had the problem yet but I’ve purchased a new pair of bolts as a quasi shield against it ever occurring. I wish there was a direct cause and affect explanation as to why it occurs but I have an idea.
I have a close friend with years of experience and a very active diagnostic mind and although he has never repaired a max tow axle he offered a theory based on my explanation of the result and the design of the axle. Right or wrong I can see his logic…I’ll pass it on…his theory is that the slight spline/hub looseness is producing a ratcheting effect that over time tightens the bolt since the head of the bolt rubs on the large washer and the perimeter of the washer rubs on the hub. He can give you 30 minutes on theory here but over the years I have learned so much from him that I tend to listen when he speaks. Since all I hear is how to remedy the result of the problem and almost nothing on its etiology, maybe this a start. Perhaps a different washer or sufficient lubrication at the bolt washer/washer hub interface might ward off the breadage of the bolt. Or maybe it’s just bad juju.

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm confused by the dates in your signature.
Oppps, never noticed I put 2023 in the date when I updated my signature. Thanks for pointing that out. I changed it to 2022. That might make more sense. My bad!!!!

JBMCEQY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 XLT 5.0
Oppps, never noticed I put 2023 in the date when I updated my signature. Thanks for pointing that out. I changed it to 2022. That might make more sense. My bad!!!!
No worries haha. I only noticed because I have a max tow built in 03/23 and I've been hoping that the axle bolt problem was fixed by that point.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK. Although I don't have 100% faith in a Max Tow axle bolt for any truck, regardless of year model, I was pretty convinced that the 2023 guys could basically rest a lot better than others.

That correction is a big one! 😁

nicholsbradley

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Analyst
My 2022 PB is actually in the shop right now. But my bolt did not break but the bearing was destroyed. They are replacing the right rear axle and hub/bearing assembly. That's what I was told anyway. I started hearing a meatal on meatal scarping noise in traffic so I tool it in.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I always read threads concerning Axle bolts since my max tow hasn’t had the problem yet but I’ve purchased a new pair of bolts as a quasi shield against it ever occurring. I wish there was a direct cause and affect explanation as to why it occurs but I have an idea.
I have a close friend with years of experience and a very active diagnostic mind and although he has never repaired a max tow axle he offered a theory based on my explanation of the result and the design of the axle. Right or wrong I can see his logic…I’ll pass it on…his theory is that the slight spline/hub looseness is producing a ratcheting effect that over time tightens the bolt since the head of the bolt rubs on the large washer and the perimeter of the washer rubs on the hub. He can give you 30 minutes on theory here but over the years I have learned so much from him that I tend to listen when he speaks. Since all I hear is how to remedy the result of the problem and almost nothing on its etiology, maybe this a start. Perhaps a different washer or sufficient lubrication at the bolt washer/washer hub interface might ward off the breadage of the bolt. Or maybe it’s just bad juju.
Very interesting. I'm willing to ponder any and all theories. Pondering is free. :)

Adding this potential cause has me altering my own personal strategy a bit.

The Bolts are rather inexpensive. Less than a self performed oil change.
So I might simply change the bolts myself preemptively, torque them to spec, and then change them out at 6 months to get a look at them. Look for any signs of concern.

If everything looks good, try an annual swap and look again.

It's just a bolt. Not even difficult to access. It can't hurt!

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
OK. Although I don't have 100% faith in a Max Tow axle bolt for any truck, regardless of year model, I was pretty convinced that the 2023 guys could basically rest a lot better than others.

That correction is a big one! 😁
It does make a difference now that I updated the dates on my timeline correctly but still does not fall under CSP22B34 dates of affected vehicles. Will see what they do. When I talked to the dealer they were going to change out the shafts on both sides per CSP22B34.

I originally did not have the year on the dates of order, pickup, etc. After the first of the year, I figured I should add the year so there was no confusion. Stupid me however put down 2023 instead of 2022. My 2023 was a year old on Sunday, December 10, 2023.
Sponsored