Sponsored

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
I wanted to go with a classic 5 or 6 spoke design, I began hunting before I purchased the truck. I ended up reaching out to JD @BRINK WHEELS to learn more about these Fangs. I opted for the +18 offset to offer a bit more of an aggressive stance without having to worry about the sides getting thrashed. He was able to give me a great deal on a full set of 5. If you're interested in any of their wheels I'd highly recommend you contact JD directly. I essentially got 5 wheels for less than the price of what is published for 4. I've had great experiences with Cooper tires and noticed they offered their Rugged Trek in an SL at 275/60R20.

I wanted something light yet capable off-road. My vortech centri kit is on the way and I don't want to hamper performance with excessively heavy wheels and large tires. I hope to run mid 11s. I plan to document that install, all fueling and tuning components are here, I'm just waiting on the V3-Si based kit in black from Vortech. It should be here by the 20th. 5 Star is on deck for tuning with Terry @beefcake supporting the build on the hard-parts & logistics side. His 22' Vortech F150 is bonkers, for sure check out what they are up to if in the market for a centri based solution.

I had the tires mounted, balanced and then had the truck aligned given the drop shackle addition and slight offset change. 5 new TPMS sensors programmed for the set and I was on my way. These Rugged Treks ride great. They are at 35psi, as were the stockers. The only change I've noticed is an ever so slight increase in stiffness, not annoying in any way and also offers less roll when cornering. I doubt I have the same dry grip as the dynapros but these are more planted during spirited turns. Noise is very minimal, a very slight hum can be heard with the radio off. Volume-wise they remind me of the Toyo O/C AT3, also very quiet for a mildly aggressive A/T.

Weight Difference:
Old: Factory 20" 20x8.5 wheels w/ factory 275/60R20 Dynapro AT2: 80.1 lbs
-
New: Brink Venom 20x9 wheels with 275/60R20 Cooper Disco RT: 78.9 lbs

Not a ton of weight savings but any is good so I'll take it. Here are a few shots. I had posted a close-up of the finish when I received the wheels back on my build thread.

Ford F-150 Brink Venom 20x9 Wheels + Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SL 275/60R20 + FP drop shackles f150_brink_venom_side

Ford F-150 Brink Venom 20x9 Wheels + Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SL 275/60R20 + FP drop shackles f150_brink_venom_side_front

Ford F-150 Brink Venom 20x9 Wheels + Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SL 275/60R20 + FP drop shackles f150_brink_venom_side_rear
Sponsored

BRINK WHEELS

Gold Sponsor
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
brinkwheels.com
Vehicles
2020 AT4
Looks Great!

Thank you for your support.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Beefcake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150
Occupation
owner Beefcake Racing
looks amazing, can't wait for more updates!!!

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter
I only got about 1 inch out of the ford performance drop shackles. They were 1.5 drop advertised.
Ford F-150 Brink Venom 20x9 Wheels + Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SL 275/60R20 + FP drop shackles IMG_20230719_115513_952

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Very nice. I’m kind of partial to a White Sport 4x4 XLT.
Ford F-150 Brink Venom 20x9 Wheels + Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SL 275/60R20 + FP drop shackles IMG_6805

I wish the stock 20” wheels had some machined accents like the 18”.
I like yours but would go with a smidge less poke myself.
I also want to go with a rear drop to level. What did you use and did anything need to be modified? Is there any issue with axle angle due to the drop?

Sponsored

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
I only got about 1 inch out of the ford performance drop shackles. They were 1.5 drop advertised.
Sounds exactly where I netted out, just over an inch. I do pull a trailer every so often so I didn't want to remove all the rake. I have the blocks still in place, was tempted to pull those too but I dig how it sets. I've got a set of 2.5mm shims in, they addressed some low speed humming/growling I picked up.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Very nice. I’m kind of partial to a White Sport 4x4 XLT.
IMG_6805.jpeg

I wish the stock 20” wheels had some machined accents like the 18”.
I like yours but would go with a smidge less poke myself.
I also want to go with a rear drop to level. What did you use and did anything need to be modified? Is there any issue with axle angle due to the drop?

Nice truck! I ended up using the ford performance rear shackle drop, the install took all of 45 minutes. I'm pretty sure I spent more time re-reading instructions and posts than actually installing them. I like that they have the grease nipples integrated. I did notice a very slight hum/growling at lower speeds and installed a set of 2.5mm shims. Also way easier from an install standpoint than I thought they'd be.

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Sounds exactly where I netted out, just over an inch. I do pull a trailer every so often so I didn't want to remove all the rake. I have the blocks still in place, was tempted to pull those too but I dig how it sets. I've got a set of 2.5mm shims in, they addressed some low speed humming/growling I picked up.
Someone else reported a shimmy at a certain speed in another thread. I have driven mine low speeds and all the way up to 80, and have heard nor felt nothing. Not sure what you guys have experienced.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Someone else reported a shimmy at a certain speed in another thread. I have driven mine low speeds and all the way up to 80, and have heard nor felt nothing. Not sure what you guys have experienced.
After scouring for a few nights on this very topic it would seem that some have it, some don't. I've read that the slight drop can affect caster so maybe in some cases its the rear end, in others perhaps its the tires but its so inconsistent that it would be hard to pin it down.

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
After scouring for a few nights on this very topic it would seem that some have it, some don't. I've read that the slight drop can affect caster so maybe in some cases its the rear end, in others perhaps its the tires but its so inconsistent that it would be hard to pin it down.
I'm assuming I don't have it or dumb to the fact I don't hear anything at any speed yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
I'm assuming I don't have it or dumb to the fact I don't hear anything at any speed yet.
Yeah, you would have known, its a very light growl that can be felt in the steering wheel that will stop abruptly with a little extra gas.

DSvet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Reg. Cab Short bed 5.0
Nice truck! I ended up using the ford performance rear shackle drop, the install took all of 45 minutes. I'm pretty sure I spent more time re-reading instructions and posts than actually installing them. I like that they have the grease nipples integrated. I did notice a very slight hum/growling at lower speeds and installed a set of 2.5mm shims. Also way easier from an install standpoint than I thought they'd be.
You don't happen to still have those instructions do you? Or, do you remember what it said regarding the shims? I'm assuming you install thick side to the rear. Does it go flush with the perch (spring plate)? I just installed mine but I bought it from Steeda and it had no instructions. It's defiantly not a 2.5 drop either. looks 2in or less.

DSvet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Reg. Cab Short bed 5.0
Never mind. I found some online. It wasn't for this particular lift, but I go the info needed to make sure what I thought was correct.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Never mind. I found some online. It wasn't for this particular lift, but I go the info needed to make sure what I thought was correct.
Glad you found them, I too didn’t have any instructions but was able to download belltech’s (I think it was belltech) shackle instructions. I also didn’t get a full 2” but it was a noticeable enough difference that I left the 4x4 leaf blocks on, those could be removed to pull out another 1” or so.
Sponsored