WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Hey guys,

I took my 2.7 120 miles Friday through the mountains to go ski, parked it until Sunday (today), started it in 13 degrees using the app (remote start on keyfob doesn't do anything) and noticed black smoke for the first 10 seconds or so, then the relatively normal white. I tried to catch it on video, but only snagged the tail end before it turns white. I'm wondering if the rings let a little oil by being as they only have 3500 miles plus its cold as balls.

Never had black smoke from a gas engine before. Cause for concern?

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I always had puffs of black coming out the pipe from my 2011 first generation Ecoboost. I haven't seen it on my 2.7 but it wouldn't surprise me to see a little bit. Nothing to be concerned about unless it is all the time. Running rich right after starting it is no surprise.

SEPA F150

First Name
Shiva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Raptor
Hey guys,

I took my 2.7 120 miles Friday through the mountains to go ski, parked it until Sunday (today), started it in 13 degrees using the app (remote start on keyfob doesn't do anything) and noticed black smoke for the first 10 seconds or so, then the relatively normal white. I tried to catch it on video, but only snagged the tail end before it turns white. I'm wondering if the rings let a little oil by being as they only have 3500 miles plus its cold as balls.

Never had black smoke from a gas engine before. Cause for concern?

During super cold Temps the air fuel mixture is off. Will run blk for a few seconds before you see the white vapor.

OP
OP

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Thanks guys. I appreciate the check. Cold weather is funky.

Sponsored

udelaware30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW 2.7 4x4
Remote start on the keyfob isn’t working? Have you tried pressing lock, then start twice? Took me a few days to figure this out after buying.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Yup, rich mixture to heat her up and get the catalyst system rolling. All seems fine in the neighborhood.

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT FX4 3.5EB
Occupation
Biomedical
Okay, we need to work on your definition of “black.” Dirty white maybe, but it lighten up quickly . I understand the concern in your voice, but that is not black. I would only worry if it is thick white and never gets lighter or blue as stated above. I don’t hear any clacking or a rough surging idle. Cold does rough things to engines. If you’re concerned just idle it until the truck hits normal temp before driving and check your oil for peace of mind. I remember the days of putting card board in grill so your radiator would not freeze when driving. These fords have a shutter systems behind grill that assists with aero dynamics, regulates radiator and intercooler temps. My point is these truck have been designed to compensate for many conditions to deliver best performance and longevity for primary customer which is a trades man or commercial fleet. Most of those users will not be as attentive or caring. I think your good to go and applaud your vigilance.
Sponsored