Sponsored

Terrible noise at startup, 22 2.7 w/1500 miles

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Supercrew Lariat
I ordered this 22 Supercrew Lariat on January 4th and received it April 9th. Absolutely LOVE it.

have put roughly 1500 miles on it and suddenly noticed this one evening when I started it remotely and could hear it start up from 30 yards away. Now it’s all I hear when I start it .

obviously dealer will need to diagnose it and keep it, Scared of just how long it will be gone.

happens the worst with every cold start/overnight sitting, but does it to a lesser extent after sitting for a couple hours. Seems it does it while it’s building oil pressure and then it goes away and is smooth.

Any ideas? First though was cam phaser like the 3.5’s. Purposely went with 2.7l to avoid issues 😒😒

thanks for reading

JW

Sponsored

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quite an active thread I created.

Truck has been at the dealer since June 28. Diagnosed as needing cam phasers, no parts available, no expected release date. FMC customer support has been nice but said they have customer waiting since feb/march for cam phaser parts. Hoping they will start paying this truck note for a truck I can’t drive for the foreseeable future.

Ordering a 23 but looking elsewhere also. What a kick in the balls .

shawizkid

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, explorer st
Jesus man. That sounds terrible. Hopefully ford does right by you.

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Quite an active thread I created.

Truck has been at the dealer since June 28. Diagnosed as needing cam phasers, no parts available, no expected release date. FMC customer support has been nice but said they have customer waiting since feb/march for cam phaser parts. Hoping they will start paying this truck note for a truck I can’t drive for the foreseeable future.

Ordering a 23 but looking elsewhere also. What a kick in the balls .
Damn man sorry to hear. Keep us updated on eta and what they say. I will say they can re-imburse you on your note (you'll have to pester them, bc they eventually offered and then I went the legal route). I got mine back in legal litigation against Ford on my 2019 bc they had my truck in the shop for 70 days. I couldn't do lemon law bc Alabama had 12 months or 12k and unfortunately I had just turned 12k on it around the issues I was having for the water leak in the cab of the truck. So I took legal litigation and won against Ford.

My 2.7 is going in shop next week for the high pitch noise coming from engine on light acceleration. It sounds like an air leak coming from somewhere but we'll see. They're also looking at the passenger seat rattle, and the couple Bolts that have came loose from under my steering column 😳🧐 (I cannot physically see where they've come from though). But they've hit my foot while I've been driving.

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well dealer called, still no parts available. And no eta after further in-depth parts search. They are now talking with ford about a long block /engine assy as an option as they allegedly are more readily available.

hoping for a decision from Ford in the next week or so

Sponsored

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And wow AnthemMike, I sure hope I don’t need to go lemon law or litigation to get this fully resolved. Dealer has been great thus far. Yours sounds like a nightmare

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
And wow AnthemMike, I sure hope I don’t need to go lemon law or litigation to get this fully resolved. Dealer has been great thus far. Yours sounds like a nightmare
Yeah man, glad to gear your dealer has been a good experience...Mullinax in Mobile, AL was horrible they had it for 70 days and ripped interior out 3x. Then Autonation of Mobile, AL had it for over 20 days to replace the transmission. Both dealers were garbage and absolutely the worst customer service I've dealt with. Autonation made me rent a vehicle out of pocket and I finally gave up trying to get with Ford or the dealer to pay for the rental and I had premium care on it. I called the service manager every day for a month straight and never got him to answer or call back. Ford's customer service and quite frankly vehicles are pure garbage these days. But on the other note the other manufacturers aren't any better.

I drop my truck off this weekend at a dealer in SC for two weeks while I'm out of town let's see if they can fix this high pitch noise coming from light acceleration and find out where these nuts are coming from under the steering column. It'll probably be a "normal characteristic" of the 2.7 lol. Hopefully this dealer is better than my experience at dealerships in AL.

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dealer gave up on getting gasket kits to do cam phasers, ford approved a long block replacement finally. So that’s ordered, no telling when it will show up, allegedly it’s a week out . Then another 7-10 days once it arrives to get it all completed. Today is day 47 without it.
Got a “free” extended warranty from ford, still working on covering a payment or two.
Progress I guess

cowboytk

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX 4x4
Dealer gave up on getting gasket kits to do cam phasers, ford approved a long block replacement finally. So that’s ordered, no telling when it will show up, allegedly it’s a week out . Then another 7-10 days once it arrives to get it all completed. Today is day 47 without it.
Got a “free” extended warranty from ford, still working on covering a payment or two.
Progress I guess
well for your info, i have looked at the lemon law stuff and if the dealer has you in a loaner its basically null and void on the lemon law time, otherwise if they have it over 30 days you "could" file a lemon law claim and pursue it. this is according to the texas lemon law page (linked below).

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well thanks for the post to remind me, picked up the truck Friday with a fresh engine. Engine arrived and was replaced in 8 days time. From what I can tell so far things are operating as normal. Hopefully it stays that way . Should have the final invoice once all the warranty paper work resolved . Glad to have it back!

Sponsored

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Well thanks for the post to remind me, picked up the truck Friday with a fresh engine. Engine arrived and was replaced in 8 days time. From what I can tell so far things are operating as normal. Hopefully it stays that way . Should have the final invoice once all the warranty paper work resolved . Glad to have it back!
Congrats. Let’s hope all’s good going forward.

Mach725

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT Sport 302A 2.7L Space white
How’s the truck?

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It has been fine since picking it up. I did get the oil changed after 1k miles even though most said it was unnecessary. The peace of mind was worth it.

Gas mileage also seemed to tip up with the fresh engine. Granted it could also be various other reasons.

But overall happy with how ford handled the situation. My dealer, Helfman Ford, was awesome also.

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
It has been fine since picking it up. I did get the oil changed after 1k miles even though most said it was unnecessary. The peace of mind was worth it.

Gas mileage also seemed to tip up with the fresh engine. Granted it could also be various other reasons.

But overall happy with how ford handled the situation. My dealer, Helfman Ford, was awesome also.
Glad to hear you’re enjoying the 2.7 again. Was discouraged to see this thread as mine has been flawless since taking ownership almost a year ago. It’s a great engine and suits these trucks well!

bhmeyer8

First Name
Hollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150
We have a 2021 Ford F150 2.7 L and cam phasers were replaced at 5500 miles, 9800 miles and are going out again at 17,000 miles. I called the dealer and they're ordering the parts and will replace when in. We are so frustrated that this will be the 3rd time they've been replaced. Have asked service dept. for a different engine. We'll see what they come back with. We're leasing this truck. I doubt we'll buy it after this debacle. It's ridiculous!
Sponsored