Terrible noise at startup, 22 2.7 w/1500 miles

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Supercrew Lariat
We have a 2021 Ford F150 2.7 L and cam phasers were replaced at 5500 miles, 9800 miles and are going out again at 17,000 miles. I called the dealer and they're ordering the parts and will replace when in. We are so frustrated that this will be the 3rd time they've been replaced. Have asked service dept. for a different engine. We'll see what they come back with. We're leasing this truck. I doubt we'll buy it after this debacle. It's ridiculous!
Wow, this is troubling to hear. I would definitely call Ford customer service and get the ball rolling with them. I would definitely push for an engine replacement at this point. You have been patient with them but need a reliable vehicle .
Sponsored

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
Sorry to revive an old thread, but curious what came of this? Were the cam phasers replaced and did it fix the problem? I too bought a 2.7 to avoid issues like the cam phasers in the 3.5s and mine is making a similar sound on cold starts...buddy is a tech at Ford; showed him a video and he said the Phasers are going. Sheesh...

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew STX 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sorry to revive an old thread, but curious what came of this? Were the cam phasers replaced and did it fix the problem? I too bought a 2.7 to avoid issues like the cam phasers in the 3.5s and mine is making a similar sound on cold starts...buddy is a tech at Ford; showed him a video and he said the Phasers are going. Sheesh...
I am wondering my self as well. Will my 2022 develop issue with cam phasers. How many folks have that issue. Should I go back to Toyota ?

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, my replacement engine has been in for roughly a year, and about 8000 miles and has been fine. It’s kind of alarming to see the bulletins indicating this may be a common issue.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Did previous years have the phaser issues with the 2.7? I was frankly unaware of issues with the 2.7 phasers. Doesn't seem super common honestly.

I read a TSB on the 3.5 phaser issues a while back. I thought there was a fix that went something like pressing the gas pedal to the floor and short pressing the start button or something weird to get oil pumping through the phasers before starting. Can't quite recall.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
During the course of my time with the truck in the shop. I spoke to numerous service department, and they all mentioned the 3.5 having cam phaser concerns, but the 2.7 they mentioned was generally not impacted. That gave me a little consolation, considering my truck was in the shop for cam phasers, but gave me hope that it wouldn’t continue happening. Although it sounds like for some users on this thread, it does keep happening.

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
Looks like my 2021 F-150 with 16,000 miles fell victim to SSM 51542 and all four phasers need to be replaced. Link to SSM: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10234137-0001.pdf

I’d done a lot of research before recently buying the 2.7 and wasnt aware that 2.7s had cam phaser issues, but a recent search of the Bronco forums unearthed quite a few 2.7 owners needing their phasers replaced, which was a surprise to me.

I just hope the new part numbers mean the phasers are redesigned and that I won’t continue to have issues like many 3.5 owners did even after having their phasers replaced. *It appears Ford finally fixed the 3.5 phaser issues with the updated phaser in 2020 and pcm flash update with a different start sequence after that, but time will tell…hoping this was just dumb luck for my 2.7!

Ford F-150 Terrible noise at startup, 22 2.7 w/1500 miles 354172875_10106577917951555_8682363755495506579_n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Looks like my 2021 F-150 with 16,000 miles fell victim to SSM 51542 and all four phasers need to be replaced. Link to SSM: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10234137-0001.pdf

I’d done a lot of research before recently buying the 2.7 and wasnt aware that 2.7s had cam phaser issues, but a recent search of the Bronco forums unearthed quite a few 2.7 owners needing their phasers replaced, which was a surprise to me.

I just hope the new part numbers mean the phasers are redesigned and that I won’t continue to have issues like many 3.5 owners did even after having their phasers replaced. *It appears Ford finally fixed the 3.5 phaser issues with the updated phaser in 2020 and pcm flash update with a different start sequence after that, but time will tell…hoping this was just dumb luck for my 2.7!

354172875_10106577917951555_8682363755495506579_n.jpg
Gold star.

So does the updated part mean there's a design flaw and basically all the gen 14s are bound to fail at some point?

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
Gold star.

So does the updated part mean there's a design flaw and basically all the gen 14s are bound to fail at some point?
That’s the $1,000,000 question! Sometimes the part numbers change simply because of a new supplier (unchanged part design) and sometimes it’s a whole new part. I’d love to know if the problem was a bad design or a bad manufacturing process and if the new parts are a new design or the same design but just made to a better spec. 🧐
I’ve asked the tech for photos of my old phaser and the new ones showing the part numbers and if there’s anything externally different…not that it means we’d see internal changes, but trying to grab at straws as to what the source of the failures are/were and if and how they’ve been remedied.

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting development here. Thanks for the leg work on the bronco forum research and the superceding part numbers.
Were the parts available for your fix? How long is the wait?

Sponsored

23STX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
Interesting development here. Thanks for the leg work on the bronco forum research and the superceding part numbers.
Were the parts available for your fix? How long is the wait?
I ordered this 22 Supercrew Lariat on January 4th and received it April 9th. Absolutely LOVE it.

have put roughly 1500 miles on it and suddenly noticed this one evening when I started it remotely and could hear it start up from 30 yards away. Now it’s all I hear when I start it .

obviously dealer will need to diagnose it and keep it, Scared of just how long it will be gone.

happens the worst with every cold start/overnight sitting, but does it to a lesser extent after sitting for a couple hours. Seems it does it while it’s building oil pressure and then it goes away and is smooth.

Any ideas? First though was cam phaser like the 3.5’s. Purposely went with 2.7l to avoid issues 😒😒

thanks for reading

JW

Did this start getting louder over time or just started one day doing this?

I am well aware what bad cam phasers sound like as my 2017 3.5 was a victim of this but, I can’t remember if it progressed over time or just started doing this one day.
I specifically ordered a 2.7 to avoid this but now I am worried my 2023 is also starting to develop a noise at startup. Maybe it’s just me but every time I start the truck I am noticing a small rattle.

Nothing like what my 2017 did, and I can only hear it from inside the cab. But I wonder if it will eventually start getting louder.

I wont even remote start it anymore from far away till I’m right next to my truck just so I can listen for cam phaser rattle 🫤

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer

I am well aware what bad cam phasers sound like as my 2017 3.5 was a victim of this but, I can’t remember if it progressed over time or just started doing this one day.
I specifically ordered a 2.7 to avoid this but now I am worried my 2023 is also starting to develop a noise at startup. Maybe it’s just me but every time I start the truck I am noticing a small rattle.

Nothing like what my 2017 did, and I can only hear it from inside the cab. But I wonder if it will eventually start getting louder.

I wont even remote start it anymore from far away till I’m right next to my truck just so I can listen for cam phaser rattle 🫤
A very small rattle is probably fine. If it progresses to anything like what you see when looking up what the issue sounds like, no bueno. I have 2500 miles on my job 2 2022 and had one start up a few momths ago that sounded iffy, but that's it.

Babbage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 XLT 302A FX4 PP2K 36GAL TOW
Occupation
Wild horse rider
I ordered this 22 Supercrew Lariat on January 4th and received it April 9th. Absolutely LOVE it.

have put roughly 1500 miles on it and suddenly noticed this one evening when I started it remotely and could hear it start up from 30 yards away. Now it’s all I hear when I start it .

obviously dealer will need to diagnose it and keep it, Scared of just how long it will be gone.

happens the worst with every cold start/overnight sitting, but does it to a lesser extent after sitting for a couple hours. Seems it does it while it’s building oil pressure and then it goes away and is smooth.

Any ideas? First though was cam phaser like the 3.5’s. Purposely went with 2.7l to avoid issues 😒😒

thanks for reading

JW

wow that is terrible - I'm sorry. The oil filters these truck use do have an 'anti-drain' valve in them that keeps the oil in the heads. Slim chance it could be the oil filter anti drain back valve. But the damage is done.

terrible oil starved noise - really sorry for you man.
Hope your new one is perfect.

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Mine started out of the blue one day. Coincidentally when I remote started it .

OP
OP

JWerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
wow that is terrible - I'm sorry. The oil filters these truck use do have an 'anti-drain' valve in them that keeps the oil in the heads. Slim chance it could be the oil filter anti drain back valve. But the damage is done.

terrible oil starved noise - really sorry for you man.
Hope your new one is perfect.
So far so good. New motor has more pep and gets better Mpg. It’s now been in the truck over a year.
Sponsored