First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 3.5 eco boost king ranch
Occupation
Carpenter
Last night on the way to dinner my screen went black. After about 30 seconds or so it came back on like I’d just started the truck ( ford emblem and all the usual stuff). Any thing to be concerned about? I’ve had the truck for just over a month and still not sure what to expect out of it lol. It a 21 3.5 EB. King Ranch pkg if it matters. Thanks
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Check for receiving an update. May have installed as you were driving and the screen rebooted.

OP
OP
Ghurst

Ghurst

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Carpenter
Check for receiving an update. May have installed as you were driving and the screen rebooted.
From what I can tell…. Nothing has updated. I do show this in the my ford site, but when I click on the “click here for the latest version” tab…. It just closes the information box. Nav updates shows the same symbol and clinking on the update tab, I get the same results. 🤷‍♂️ lol
Ford F-150 Black screen IMG_1206

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
That sounds like an APIM reboot. As to why or if it happens again, well you'll have to keep an eye on it.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
It happened to me once in December. Never happened in the two years before or 3 months since. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it happens again soon.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
From what I can tell…. Nothing has updated. I do show this in the my ford site, but when I click on the “click here for the latest version” tab…. It just closes the information box. Nav updates shows the same symbol and clinking on the update tab, I get the same results. 🤷‍♂️ lol
IMG_1206.png
It would be in FordPass app, not the website. Or check truck screen update details if it is different than your last update.

Update or not I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens frequently.

Buddy

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Veteran
One thing I have figured out on my F150 KR PB and my Lincoln Aviator is, if you have anything plugged into any USB port in the vehicle, regardless if it's charging something of connected to your phone, unplug it, especially when you're not using it. Not sure why but the screen went black on both my vehicles once and was told to disconnect USB cords.......it worked. Now I only plug in when I need it.

OP
OP
Ghurst

Ghurst

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Carpenter
One thing I have figured out on my F150 KR PB and my Lincoln Aviator is, if you have anything plugged into any USB port in the vehicle, regardless if it's charging something of connected to your phone, unplug it, especially when you're not using it. Not sure why but the screen went black on both my vehicles once and was told to disconnect USB cords.......it worked. Now I only plug in when I need it.
I do have a usb plugged in to charge my phone. I’m not sure why, but my wireless charging pad causes my phone to get really hot!

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I do have a usb plugged in to charge my phone. I’m not sure why, but my wireless charging pad causes my phone to get really hot!
Usually a sign of overcharging or charging at too high of a current level.

You are basically putting your phone into a magnetic field that is pulsating at a high rate to induce current flow in a coil of wire inside your phone to charge your battery. The faster the cycling, the higher the current induced. I plug my phone into the USB port to charge it.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
That's induction for ya. Especially using android auto or carplay. The phone is doing all the rendering, plus the radios are operating, and you're charging, plus using induction charging which also generates waste heat = loads of heat. Connecting via USB will actually charge the phone and it's cooler.

Sponsored

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
"To receive new updates as soon as possible, check these Wi-Fi settings to activate immediate downloads via Wi-Fi."

Would some kind person put these up as I can't activate my KR using fordpass (long story but no TCU connectivity)? Curious to see if OTAs can actually be done without cellular triggers 🙏

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
"To receive new updates as soon as possible, check these Wi-Fi settings to activate immediate downloads via Wi-Fi."

Would some kind person put these up as I can't activate my KR using fordpass (long story but no TCU connectivity)? Curious to see if OTAs can actually be done without cellular triggers 🙏
Unfortunately, in the 3 years I have owned my truck, I have received only 1 update vis Wifi and that was this month. A TCU update. The others have been vis cell connection.

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unfortunately, in the 3 years I have owned my truck, I have received only 1 update vis Wifi and that was this month. A TCU update. The others have been vis cell connection.
Yep, I seriously doubt they'll come over wi-fi, but it'd be nice to see what settings they're talking about.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Yep, I seriously doubt they'll come over wi-fi, but it'd be nice to see what settings they're talking about.
Just setup truck with WiFi turned on, and add your home WiFi. It can't hurt to try it. I also doubt that it will ever work. You would need someone with PTS to see your truck get an OTA trigger. Then have it on WiFi and see if it will download the update. Thinking about it now if you can install FordPass I don't see why you can't link the truck to it if the truck is on WiFi. Unless Ford blocks IP addresses outside US. 🤔

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just setup truck with WiFi turned on, and add your home WiFi. It can't hurt to try it. I also doubt that it will ever work. You would need someone with PTS to see your truck get an OTA trigger. Then have it on WiFi and see if it will download the update. Thinking about it now if you can install FordPass I don't see why you can't link the truck to it if the truck is on WiFi. Unless Ford blocks IP addresses outside US. 🤔
Yup, wi-fi all set up and has been reporting stats to Ford since I got it home in November 🤷‍♂️. I'd still like to see if they're saying anything different from that message. Last time I tried to activate was, I admit, months ago and no dice. I'll give it another go shortly. Javier already has with PTS and whatever triggers are for me end up expiring. I still believe that triggers only get sent via TCU and that some bulk file downloads can and do happen over wi-fi. I'll report back re activation 👍
Sponsored