Sponsored

5.0L V8 Best Engine Air Filter

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew XLT 302A 4x4 5.0L 3.31
I have read lots of discussions on engine oil filters, but i haven't seen much on engine air filters, which seem as important. Does anyone have any YouTube video comparisons or have technical reviews based on testing? ISO-5011 test results? I am interested in things like air flow (SCFM), removal efficiency (%) @ size (µm), capacity (grams), filter media material (cellulose vs synthetic), etc.

How often do you replace yours? I am driving a lot of fine dust roads and mine is looking pretty dirty at ~15k miles. I believe the OEM recommendation is 30k mi.

I was looking at the FRAM ULTRA PREMIUM AIR FILTER (XGA10262) or similar (OEM [FA-1883], Wix, Purolator, Bosch, etc.), but what are your guys opinions?
https://www.fram.com/fram-ultra-premium-air-filter-xga10262
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Ult...-2023-FORD-F150-2008-2016-FORD-F250/428698916
Sponsored

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
whew.. you are going way beyond my pay grade for something like an air filter. but why try and get that many miles out of it? I am on my third filter in 16K miles. I change it with the oil/filter. its an old habit.

I buy whatever the brand happens to be if I am at Autozone or Advanced Auto for something like 15 bucks. I usually dont buy the cheapest version IF the premium isn't ridiculously priced. but I don't go in for the magical filter hype. There was nothing special I could see in the factory air filter.

maybe I am wasting just as much money as buying a "good" filter. but I don't see the reason to milk mileage out of a filter.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Just don’t get sucked into the high flow ones, they let more debris into the engine which accelerates wear

OP
OP

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
but why try and get that many miles out of it? I am on my third filter in 16K miles. I change it with the oil/filter. its an old habit.
That's a good habit and i have employed that method in the past. I was mostly going off the O&M manuals recommendation, but figured i should check it when i did my recent oil change.

I think it interesting that you see so much on oil filters but not engine air filters. Why not keep the debris (fine dust in my case) out in the first place.

Also, a dirty filter does a better job at filtering than a clean filter because the dirt will clog the large holes first. However, there will be a larger pressure drop across a dirty filter which will reduce gas mileage. Not sure which one has a better value in the long run (~250k mi).🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's cheap enough, I replace mine every 10K mi when I do an oil change and use the stock Motorcraft filter.
agree. i just want to make sure that i get the best value for the trucks long term reliability.

OP
OP

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just don’t get sucked into the high flow ones, they let more debris into the engine which accelerates wear
right. that likely means reduced removal efficiency and/or capacity which might buy you a fraction of a HP.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
This guy has a number of very good test vids on youtube.

Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Ranger; 24 F-150 XL 4x4 RCSB ordered
Occupation
Retired USAF
The YouTube rabbit hole lead me to this video. Hopefully you find it insightful. I thought the particle test at the end was interesting. What are your thoughts?
After seeing that test, I know I'll never buy a K-n-N air filter !!! It'll be Wix or Purolator for me.

TXGREEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Lariat
I have read lots of discussions on engine oil filters, but i haven't seen much on engine air filters, which seem as important. Does anyone have any YouTube video comparisons or have technical reviews based on testing? ISO-5011 test results? I am interested in things like air flow (SCFM), removal efficiency (%) @ size (µm), capacity (grams), filter media material (cellulose vs synthetic), etc.

How often do you replace yours? I am driving a lot of fine dust roads and mine is looking pretty dirty at ~15k miles. I believe the OEM recommendation is 30k mi.

I was looking at the FRAM ULTRA PREMIUM AIR FILTER (XGA10262) or similar (OEM [FA-1883], Wix, Purolator, Bosch, etc.), but what are your guys opinions?
https://www.fram.com/fram-ultra-premium-air-filter-xga10262
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Ult...-2023-FORD-F150-2008-2016-FORD-F250/428698916
Wix makes the best oem style filters.

TXGREEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Lariat
whew.. you are going way beyond my pay grade for something like an air filter. but why try and get that many miles out of it? I am on my third filter in 16K miles. I change it with the oil/filter. its an old habit.

I buy whatever the brand happens to be if I am at Autozone or Advanced Auto for something like 15 bucks. I usually dont buy the cheapest version IF the premium isn't ridiculously priced. but I don't go in for the magical filter hype. There was nothing special I could see in the factory air filter.

maybe I am wasting just as much money as buying a "good" filter. but I don't see the reason to milk mileage out of a filter.
that’s a bit excessive but you should look into Wix filters, rated the highest in oem style filters

Iconic22F150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat FX4 Iconic Silver
Occupation
Physical Security Supervisor
Wix or motorcraft. Wix cabin air filter is on auto ship every 6 months from Amazon.