First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
New to the F-150 owners club šŸ‘. Iā€™m currently trying to improve on the lack-luster 8 speaker B&O, and I have a couple questions. I already have the sub stage taken care of, and I was looking to add JL C2 components up front (already ordered). I was told on tech support that I would be able to run the components off the stock B&O amp for now, until I get the a2b processor, because she said the front door woofers and pillar tweeters are wired in parallel off the factory ampā€¦ but when I looked up the wiring diagram last night, it shows the pillar tweeters are actually powered off the head unit, not the amp. That brings on the questionsā€¦

#1. Are the door speakers a full signal, so I could actually run the components through the crossover to power them both? In that case Iā€™d just unhook the factory speaker wires to the tweeter, and run new tweeter speaker wire from the crossovers to the tweeters.

#2. Has anyone actually wired their components off the factory amp? Was the sensitivity difference between the factory and aftermarket speakers enough to hurt the performance of the aftermarket speakers, to where itā€™s not worth doing?

Thanks for any info!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
I canā€™t be the only person doing thisā€¦ lol šŸ¤”

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
New to the F-150 owners club šŸ‘. Iā€™m currently trying to improve on the lack-luster 8 speaker B&O, and I have a couple questions. I already have the sub stage taken care of, and I was looking to add JL C2 components up front (already ordered). I was told on tech support that I would be able to run the components off the stock B&O amp for now, until I get the a2b processor, because she said the front door woofers and pillar tweeters are wired in parallel off the factory ampā€¦ but when I looked up the wiring diagram last night, it shows the pillar tweeters are actually powered off the head unit, not the amp. That brings on the questionsā€¦

#1. Are the door speakers a full signal, so I could actually run the components through the crossover to power them both? In that case Iā€™d just unhook the factory speaker wires to the tweeter, and run new tweeter speaker wire from the crossovers to the tweeters.

#2. Has anyone actually wired their components off the factory amp? Was the sensitivity difference between the factory and aftermarket speakers enough to hurt the performance of the aftermarket speakers, to where itā€™s not worth doing?

Thanks for any info!!!
On the 8-speaker, they are powered off the ACM in the dash. The 7-speaker systems and non-amplified ones, they are tied together in the dash.

The door speaker location is simple, just need speaker adapters, wire harnesses, and a good idea to add block-off plates while you are in there. The tweeter locations might get tricky for mounting, but if you are wanting to use the factory wire/power, you just want to make sure you have the crossover in-line with that wire.

The front doors have a decent high-frequency range and you will be able to use that signal to power your new speaker kit. You will have to listen to it and cross your fingers that new speakers by themselves will be better.

Remember, newer vehicles have all types of DSP processing including all-pass filters, EQ, crossovers, etc. This is so they can use cheap speakers to save $$$. Now that tune will be applied to a totally differently designed speaker.

Will it be better than the factory.... Yes, but unsure how much better.

OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
On the 8-speaker, they are powered off the ACM in the dash. The 7-speaker systems and non-amplified ones, they are tied together in the dash.

The door speaker location is simple, just need speaker adapters, wire harnesses, and a good idea to add block-off plates while you are in there. The tweeter locations might get tricky for mounting, but if you are wanting to use the factory wire/power, you just want to make sure you have the crossover in-line with that wire.

The front doors have a decent high-frequency range and you will be able to use that signal to power your new speaker kit. You will have to listen to it and cross your fingers that new speakers by themselves will be better.

Remember, newer vehicles have all types of DSP processing including all-pass filters, EQ, crossovers, etc. This is so they can use cheap speakers to save $$$. Now that tune will be applied to a totally differently designed speaker.

Will it be better than the factory.... Yes, but unsure how much better.
I understand exactly what youā€™re saying, and I think Iā€™m going to just order the interface from you, and not deal with the hassleā€¦ especially not knowing how it will turn out. Itā€™s the only way to know for sure that itā€™ll sound great.

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
I understand exactly what youā€™re saying, and I think Iā€™m going to just order the interface from you, and not deal with the hassleā€¦ especially not knowing how it will turn out. Itā€™s the only way to know for sure that itā€™ll sound great.

For the interior speakers, the block-off plates are the most cost-effective vs performance. It could also be we are tuning $$$$$ F-150 stereos every day and factory stereo power just makes us sad :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
For the interior speakers, the block-off plates are the most cost-effective vs performance. It could also be we are tuning $$$$$ F-150 stereos every day and factory stereo power just makes us sad :)
Iā€™ll order the zen a2b and the block-off plates tomorrow morning. Any forum discount codes šŸ˜‰.
Thanks for the info! It def decided who I got the interface through šŸ‘

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
No discounts outside of GovX, just a lot of labor and Made in America parts.. Not as much margin :( We appreciate it

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

Thanks for any info!!!
You're good to go so long as you have tweeter protectors on there (factory tweets have caps on the back of them). Personally I ordered the C3 tweets for mine (1" comes w/ tweet protector / crossover) and put alpine X 6x9s in the doors. Never tried w/ factory amp. C3s are bright, I've got 6db pulled out of driver and 5db pulled out of pass w/ DSP.

Ford F-150 B&O 8 speaker upgrade question 1679625077630

OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
You're good to go so long as you have tweeter protectors on there (factory tweets have caps on the back of them). Personally I ordered the C3 tweets for mine (1" comes w/ tweet protector / crossover) and put alpine X 6x9s in the doors. Never tried w/ factory amp. C3s are bright, I've got 6db pulled out of driver and 5db pulled out of pass w/ DSP.

1679625077630.png
I bought the C2 component set directly from Crutchfield. I havenā€™t even opened it yet. Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œprotectorā€. Would it be something that came with the set? Their site says you can make a strap, or use glue/silicone to hold them in. I was going to just fab something up once I saw what was in thereā€¦. now I feel unprepared šŸ˜’ lol

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I bought the C2 component set directly from Crutchfield. I havenā€™t even opened it yet. Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œprotectorā€. Would it be something that came with the set? Their site says you can make a strap, or use glue/silicone to hold them in. I was going to just fab something up once I saw what was in thereā€¦. now I feel unprepared šŸ˜’ lol
C2s are .75", C3s are a 1" version. Tweeter protectors stop freqs below 3500hz reaching them as lower freqs will damage them. Component sets come with crossovers that perform the same thing. What you can't do however is just straight connect the tweet to the factory wiring. You'd need to put a cap inline with it to protect them. You can search on it. If you insist on using the factory amp, the tweeters are fed by the ACM in the dash, all other speakers on B&O 8 channel are fed from the amp in the back. You'd need to either install a protection device on the tweeter, or wire in its crossover in the dash at the ACM.

Here on the factory tweeter you can see the protection built-in
Ford F-150 B&O 8 speaker upgrade question 1679680836048

What you can't do is just swap in the JLs w/ out any kind of protection on them. You could tear apart the factory tweeter and yank out its parts and use them if you want. Using a 3/4 tweeter there, you're going to have to gut it either way to retain the grille / mount.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
Ohhhhhh. Ok. I know what youā€™re saying now. I had planned on running the front door signal into the crossover, and run the tweeters and door speakers off that signal, and abandon the stock tweeter feed from the ACMā€¦. But Iā€™ve decided to just order the nav zen and be done with it. Thank you for the info though!

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ohhhhhh. Ok. I know what youā€™re saying now. I had planned on running the front door signal into the crossover, and run the tweeters and door speakers off that signal, and abandon the stock tweeter feed from the ACMā€¦. But Iā€™ve decided to just order the nav zen and be done with it. Thank you for the info though!
Ha, that brings ya down a whole new path

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP
Mebcop

Mebcop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F-150 XLT Heritage
Occupation
Electrician
Nah, you're just replacing everything at that point, and all it entails.
Ya, thatā€™s the idea. Lol. I was trying to not spend that much yet, on top of the MTI enclosure with JL 12, amp rack, componentsā€¦ and all the other accessories Iā€™ve bought in the 3 weeks Iā€™ve owned the truck šŸ˜¬ Itā€™s just kind of a necessary part for what Iā€™m looking to do, I guess. No sense in fighting it too much.
Sponsored