First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Not sure where to put this thread but here goes…

Ive put my goal of “new vehicle”on pause (for variety of reasons) and have been looking at used cars. In Canada, autotrader seems to capture a pretty broad market (new car dealers, used car dealers, private sales) but I’m curious how the “cost scores” are calculated and if anyone thinks they’re accurate-ish?

Used car prices have been judged to be ridiculous for the last year+ (I’ve read varying predictions on whether it’s a bubble ready to burst, already bursting, or still expanding… no consensus that I can find) so are these price scores (great, good, fair, etc) judginf the asking price actually believable?

Acknowledge that a new car might still be a better deal but also… 5-10k less than msrp for a vehicle with reasonable mileage isn’t chump change either! And helps me get some of the accessories I’d like.

Also plan on posting this to the other forum since I’m open to the Gen 13 years too. If anyone has advice of years/engines to avoid from Gen13, that’s also appreciated here. Many thanks!
Sponsored

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB

Ive put my goal of “new vehicle”on pause (for variety of reasons) and have been looking at used cars. In Canada, autotrader seems to capture a pretty broad market (new car dealers, used car dealers, private sales) but I’m curious how the “cost scores” are calculated and if anyone thinks they’re accurate-ish?

Used car prices have been judged to be ridiculous for the last year+ (I’ve read varying predictions on whether it’s a bubble ready to burst, already bursting, or still expanding… no consensus that I can find) so are these price scores (great, good, fair, etc) judginf the asking price actually believable?

Acknowledge that a new car might still be a better deal but also… 5-10k less than msrp for a vehicle with reasonable mileage isn’t chump change either! And helps me get some of the accessories I’d like.

Also plan on posting this to the other forum since I’m open to the Gen 13 years too. If anyone has advice of years/engines to avoid from Gen13, that’s also appreciated here. Many thanks!
All I can say is the used market hasn't burst yet depending on what you have. My most recent quotes were the highest I have ever seen from vroom,carvana etc. Carvana being the highest and what I will be going with. Mind you, I have been doing this all year while waiting on my ordered truck. I've added more miles and they offered me more money.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

Ive put my goal of “new vehicle”on pause (for variety of reasons) and have been looking at used cars.
See if this site works up there too ( iseecars.com ) -- found it significantly better than autotrader. autotrader is seller focused, iSee is buyer focused.

Personally I've found that cars $60k+ have started to drop in value quite a lot. Repos are also way up as are auto loan defaults. The used car market has been dropping for a good 2-3 months now. Carvana is a dealer / predatory lender combined, and not a good example of what the actual market is if you've got good credit / rates available.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Thanks al for responses so far.

iseecars looks like it’s US-only, unfortunately. And autotrader seems to have a pretty weak filter -eg I select “Lariat” and it’s still giving me “XLT” models. So either the seller selects something to make it more searchable or the website just ignores my filter…
Sponsored