First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Would this mean that the power boost might get better mileage in stop-and-go traffic and serfas street driving? I live in Southern CA so I drive in these scenarios a lot and am wondering if maybe the PB would excel in these conditions.
If you are in SoCal and subject to stop-and-go on the freeways all the time, I *HIGHLY* recommend setting the adaptive cruise and letting the computer control the braking and accelerating to stay with the car in front of you. It absolutely knows exactly how to maximize your MPG and will save your ankle. I used it in bay area interstate jam and couldn't believe how optimal the computer was. Very fun to watch the Eco Coach during the jam.
Sponsored

Drmadeit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Cabinet guy
I got up to 30 yesterday before gas kicked in. I read a comment saying 45 on Facebook

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I've now gotten electric to kick in at 50 mph when I've been driving for maybe 15 minutes or so and running on level ground.

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
The 3.2 is electric only, meaning the gas engine isn't running at all. These miles are usually only at low speeds. My understanding, since I don't have my truck yet, is you can trick the system to electric once you are to speed by tapping the break.

The electric motor still provides some benefit besides the electric only miles, the electric motor provides "boost" when you are at higher speeds.

Using either the EV coach and or the break coach can help increase the benefit of the Powerboost.
I have seen mine go into EV mode upto 50 mph.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I've had EV mode kick in at 60 MPH and stay on until 70 MPH under very favorable conditions, which is having nearly max charge, downhill, and a slight wind at my back.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I've had EV mode kick in at 60 MPH and stay on until 70 MPH under very favorable conditions, which is having nearly max charge, downhill, and a slight wind at my back.
Can confirm. I was driving highway in gradual descent from 3500ft to sea level, and I had electric-only mode kick in at various times even up to 70mph.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I sincerely hope everyone is enjoying their PowerBoost.

However this is another reason I got the V8 and not the PB. I read all of these suggestions, tips, tricks, and ideas about how to recharge the battery, improve gas mileage, etc. but then I think are you kidding me? Can't you just get in the truck and go? I'm so glad I did not get the PB! All I want to do is get in and go! Not, learn a new way how to drive a vehicle!. Apologies if my comments are offensive but I truly don't get it!?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

However this is another reason I got the V8 and not the PB. I read all of these suggestions, tricks, and ideas about how to recharge the battery, improve gas mileage, etc. but then I think are you kidding me? Can't you just get in the truck and go? I'm so glad I did not get the PB! All I want to do is get in and go! Not, learn a new way how to drive a vehicle!. Apologies if my comments are offensive but I truly don't get it!?
Glad you made a decision that works for you. You can absolutely do the same thing in a PB - just get in and go, and enjoy the (currently) most powerful engine in the lineup. There is no requirement to do anything special to make it work at all. We're just enjoying playing with something new to trucks and having fun with the more information presented in the dash and the fuel economy.

The same can be said with any aspect of enjoying our trucks. "Why would you put new tires or a lift kit? Can't you just get in and go?!?" We all like different things about our own trucks and typically don't go into random threads we don't care about and question why the users do care about it though.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Glad you made a decision that works for you. You can absolutely do the same thing in a PB - just get in and go, and enjoy the (currently) most powerful engine in the lineup. There is no requirement to do anything special to make it work at all. We're just enjoying playing with something new to trucks and having fun with the more information presented in the dash and the fuel economy.
Okay I understand better now. Guess I'm just old and sometimes grumpy. ;)

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Okay I understand better now. Guess I'm just old and sometimes grumpy. ;)
No worries! I generally don't understand why some people do certain things either. I don't think I ever really questioned their choices though except for asking why folks are going out of their way to eliminate the auto start/stop! I had to ask and research, but it comes down to personal preference and philosophy.

My wife is like you, she drove my truck recently and simply does not care about any of the new tech, just go in and went from point A to point B. I tried to explain how "cool" it was and she just wasn't having any of it :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
Leaving my neighborhood is a pretty gradual downhill ride. Left my house and made it to 50mph all electric. I wish I would have noticed the gear I was in but I noticed I really just barely did pedal and it was normal drive mode. I wasn’t even testing it, I just like the power flow screen on and happened to maintain electric. No heat on or anything.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy

The same can be said with any aspect of enjoying our trucks. "Why would you put new tires or a lift kit? Can't you just get in and go?!?" We all like different things about our own trucks and typically don't go into random threads we don't care about and question why the users do care about it though.
Seriously, sometimes I feel people at work and just assume I calculate mpg and ask me questions all the time about what’s the best mpg I get and I feel so spoiled. I have never once calculated my mpg or tried to achieve something particular.
I upgraded from my 2016 3.5 Ecoboost because how cool the PB seemed to me. The power increase, and the extra weight in the back because of the battery. And the onboard generator. My only real gripe of my ‘16 Ecoboost was how light the rear was for how much power I had.
The sync 4 system was an awesome update.
I feel like the PB is definitely a smaller truck, height. And parked next to my ‘16 with only a level and 35s I will miss that. I liked the clearance I got on my ‘16 and I like my 35” KO2. But for how much fun we’re having I’m going to leave the PB stock for a while and see how she tows this summer.

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 302A soon to be 2021 F150 KR PB
Would this mean that the power boost might get better mileage in stop-and-go traffic and serfas street driving? I live in Southern CA so I drive in these scenarios a lot and am wondering if maybe the PB would excel in these conditions.
Where this setup would excel is in city driving in an area that is relatively flat. I drive mostly city driving and have gotten pretty adept at forcing the engagement of electric mode. Unfortunately I live in an area with a lot of hills and most inclines not surprisingly throws the truck into ICE mode. I had a 2017 EB XLT doing the same driving I averaged 15.7 and now with the Powerboost after 1,400 miles I'm at 19.5 with some of the initial playing around with the truck. So I'm basically 4 mpg better than my old ecoboost actively trying to milk the mpgs. I've had some rare round trips where I've been in the 20s and even eclipsing the rated 24 but they were days when everything fell into place; traffic, conditions, my driving, etc.

Just know that it will take quite some time regain the money spent on the powerboost via just gas savings. The breakeven cost savings assuming my 4 mile/gallon from the ecoboost @ $2.75/gallon gas occurs at about 130,000. This assumes the full package cost to upgrade to the powerboost is $4,500. Now if your in Calfornia and paying $4/gallon, that breakeven occurs sooner at 90,000 miles. With all this said, adding the powerboost for me is a no brainer, it's one of the cheapest horsepower/dollar upgrades you can get combined with improved gas mileage and the use of a 7 kw portable generator. Some may not have much need for the generator but I have all kinds of situations to put it to use. These include work projects at our ranch, off-site projects, tailgaiting, camping etc. I am in the process of installing a transfer switch so that I can power some key components in the house during our next power interruption.

That's probably way more than you were looking for but the powerboost is a homerun for me obviously your mileage may vary.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A

However this is another reason I got the V8 and not the PB. I read all of these suggestions, tips, tricks, and ideas about how to recharge the battery, improve gas mileage, etc. but then I think are you kidding me? Can't you just get in the truck and go? I'm so glad I did not get the PB! All I want to do is get in and go! Not, learn a new way how to drive a vehicle!. Apologies if my comments are offensive but I truly don't get it!?
You gotta understand, I'm an absolute nerd and just love figuring out this stuff, and it's just my pleasure to share my experience and read from others. I know I'm not the only one in this forum who's like this. But you don't have to be like me to enjoy the benefits of this amazing powertrain, we're just trying to squeeze as much as we can out of this.

And for the record, the 5.0 looks to be a great engine too. I'm glad Ford's worked out the oil burning issues for this gen.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum

You can just get in it and drive it. And many times, we PB owners do just that. But, there is also the challenge of seeing if we can tweak MPG out of the system by learning how to “play it”.

This is what human interface design people call “gamification” - making an interaction with something, or a behavior, into a mental game.
Sponsored