Sponsored

ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance

Mike_D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Hi all,
I've decided that I would like to add a truck cap to my 2022 Lariat Powerboost. I've never owned a truck with a bed cap, so please bear with my rookie questions! I like the ARE CX REVO model, and through my searches seems like at least a few members have this model or something similar.

I think I'd go with the Frameless All Glass Window side windows (no side sliding windows) and no roof racks. My main question is how does this truck cap perform at constant high interstate speeds of 80 mph? Would there be any noticeable extra wind noise due to the truck cap apparent to the driver? Seems like this model would be pretty sleek with it being same as the cab height, frameless side windows and no roof racks. Have you noticed the handling of the truck at 80 mph to be affected in any way by addition of the truck cap?

Regarding the Cap Front Window Options.....I see they have the standard Frameless Sliding Window, and then two Aluminum Framed Tilt-Down window options, a "Picture" window and then one with an additional sliding window. What's the advantage of the Tilt-Down windows, just more ventilation? Which front window option did you go with?

Other than that, I'd probably go with the standard options except I may add the Interior Clothes Rod and the Bedrug Option. Anybody have the Clothes Rod? Does it work ok?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ARE CX REVO truck cap and how it performs for you on trips with lots of fast interstate miles. I'll be doing lots of 450 mile runs from west-central Florida to Alabama hauling a bunch of stuff in the bed (nothing real heavy). Thanks!
Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have one and it is great. I do not have any data on highway performance other than I believe it is quieter with the topper. Could be in my head, but that is my observation. The truck was extremely quiet anyway so it is minimal at best.

IMO the front window being able to tilt in and down was a must. This lets you clean your back cab window and the topper window much more easily than removing the topper or squeezing in between.

I also got the cloths hook but have not used it. It is always nice to have additional attachment points, so I got that option. They look nice and seem very sturdy, but I have not used them yet.

I got the roof tracks and you can see the bolts that attach the rails to the topper. You may not like this, but it is fine with me. It also gives me attachment points on the roof. I plan on buying fender washers and drilling holes in them on the outer edges. then attach them to the bolts with locking nuts and that will give me hook receptacles on the roof for light attachments. In the picture you can kind of see the track bolts alongside the LED lights on the roof. The ARE topper is not a cheap date but it is well made and better than others I have looked at. I also have the electronic locking feature so it opens and locks with the normal truck key fob.

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance F1.JPG

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance F5.JPG

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I have one and it is great. I do not have any data on highway performance other than I believe it is quieter with the topper. Could be in my head, but that is my observation. The truck was extremely quiet anyway so it is minimal at best.

IMO the front window being able to tilt in and down was a must. This lets you clean your back cab window and the topper window much more easily than removing the topper or squeezing in between.

I also got the cloths hook but have not used it. It is always nice to have additional attachment points, so I got that option. They look nice and seem very sturdy, but I have not used them yet.

I got the roof tracks and you can see the bolts that attach the rails to the topper. You may not like this, but it is fine with me. It also gives me attachment points on the roof. I plan on buying fender washers and drilling holes in them on the outer edges. then attach them to the bolts with locking nuts and that will give me hook receptacles on the roof for light attachments. In the picture you can kind of see the track bolts alongside the LED lights on the roof. The ARE topper is not a cheap date but it is well made and better than others I have looked at. I also have the electronic locking feature so it opens and locks with the normal truck key fob.

F1.JPG

F5.JPG
Nice looking setup.

Jekyll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 XLT SCAB 6.5, 2024 F150 Lariat SCREW, 6.
Front fold down with slider is well worth it. Fold down is more important than slider if cost is limiting. Carpeted head liner is important IMO; it reduces noise and provides some insulation if you sleep in back. Also protects you from potential cuts or jabs from fiberglass.

I think a framed back hatch provides more security against opportunistic thieves. Hard core thieves won't be detered by anything they can smash.

I've been a cap/Topper guy for 40 years on every truck. I migrated to mid-rise for increased room and options. Also the added hight makes it easier on older backs. I can sit on a short stool while moving things around instead of kneeling or stooping.

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired
I just got my ARE Revo installed last Thursday.
I haven’t taken it out much since, but I haven’t noticed any additional noise. It may even be quieter.

I added keyless entry. The rear window locks and unlocks with the rest of the truck.

I installed the BedRug several weeks ago. I had the Ridetech 3/5.5 lowering kit with the rear swaybar and the rear airbags installed last week.

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance IMG_8527

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance IMG_8525

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance IMG_8523

Last edited:

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Mine is. ARE/ leer
I had painted to match
Front fold down let's you clean truck window .and spider webs
As far as noise at highway
I think it's actually quite
The back window hold dust really bad.
I need a small spoiler

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance 20240321_131145

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance 20240321_131136

Last edited:

WA_502A

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat 502A
Hi all,
I've decided that I would like to add a truck cap to my 2022 Lariat Powerboost. I've never owned a truck with a bed cap, so please bear with my rookie questions! I like the ARE CX REVO model, and through my searches seems like at least a few members have this model or something similar.

I think I'd go with the Frameless All Glass Window side windows (no side sliding windows) and no roof racks. My main question is how does this truck cap perform at constant high interstate speeds of 80 mph? Would there be any noticeable extra wind noise due to the truck cap apparent to the driver? Seems like this model would be pretty sleek with it being same as the cab height, frameless side windows and no roof racks. Have you noticed the handling of the truck at 80 mph to be affected in any way by addition of the truck cap?

Regarding the Cap Front Window Options.....I see they have the standard Frameless Sliding Window, and then two Aluminum Framed Tilt-Down window options, a "Picture" window and then one with an additional sliding window. What's the advantage of the Tilt-Down windows, just more ventilation? Which front window option did you go with?

Other than that, I'd probably go with the standard options except I may add the Interior Clothes Rod and the Bedrug Option. Anybody have the Clothes Rod? Does it work ok?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ARE CX REVO truck cap and how it performs for you on trips with lots of fast interstate miles. I'll be doing lots of 450 mile runs from west-central Florida to Alabama hauling a bunch of stuff in the bed (nothing real heavy). Thanks!
I have an CX Revo and it is has been a complete nightmare! Ordered in December of 23 and was installed in February of this year. Third brake light leaked from the factory, weather stripping fell off by week two, and the rear door hinges sheered off after three weeks. Mine was $4600 with tax and after six weeks I still don't have a door. ARE has been virtually no help.

If you read some reviews they have had issues with the rear door failing since they launched it a number of years ago. My dealer assured me, that after like six or seven resigned, they had solved the issue. I can assure you they haven't. The all glass rear door looks great but it is a terrible design. If you're looking to buy a canopy buy a Leer.

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance IMG_7393.JPG

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Really my only dislike
The dust inside the bed now.
Still chasing that..

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Interested in how you are solving this. I have a similar problem. Gaps in the bed floor and tailgate seem wide.
I have seen or read some put a foam seal around tailgate sides and bottom

I have not had free no rain day to actually get out and try to solve it.
I think under the bed rails is lots of air space
As well
What I find odd
Mt 2002 f350 dually I had a leer topper

I don't remember the inside getting dusty.
So I need to see what is so different

Sponsored

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew XLT 302A 4x4 5.0L 3.31
I have seen or read some put a foam seal around tailgate sides and bottom

I have not had free no rain day to actually get out and try to solve it.
I think under the bed rails is lots of air space
As well
What I find odd
Mt 2002 f350 dually I had a leer topper

I don't remember the inside getting dusty.
So I need to see what is so different
I had a tacoma with a composite bed and no gaps in the box. It still got dusty. My assumption was most of the dust was coming from the tailgate.

I was thinking about some gap filler foamg and maybe silicone sealnt for the box. Not sure about the tailgate

Jeb536

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT 302A & Mustangs
I don’t drive over 70-75 but don’t hear any noise. sorry to see a member has had problems with his but no complaints here.

I didn’t opt for the front fold down window and don’t miss it. i haven’t had any problem with dirt or cleaning between the cab and cap. I do kinda wish I would have got the rack, but I could always install it later if needed.

I also went with a bed rug

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance 1715046880073-4s

Ford F-150 ARE CX REVO Truck Cap Questions and Highway Performance 1715046978792-vh

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
The CX Revo has pretty poor reviews, mostly related to the frameless rear glass. Skip this model.

The Z2 is the one to get as it has beefier hinges and a framed rear glass and much better reviews. Otherwise, it's the same model. Mine is amazing, however I would make a few changes to my spec.

1) I would get rid of the vent glass/ dog screen on the passenger side because when you look over your shoulder, it's directly in your line of sight. I'd still keep the one on the driver's side as you can't see it from the driver's seat.
2) I'd get rid the fold down glass as well as the slider. The slider is so stiff I can't even use it (feel like some lubricant would help) and I think the fold down glass is just a great place to experience a failure. I'm sure someone makes a glass cleaner handle to go between the truck/ shell glass and clean it. Heck, my little handheld squeegee will probably do it.

Someone above said that the remote lock is attached to their truck remote. I didn't know this and just assumed it was a separate remote which I didn't want to mess with. If doing it again, I'd definitely add this option if it's linked to the truck remote.

It's a really nice camper shell. I'm addicted to having these things as I find them to be so convenient for my lifestyle. My Z2 is the nicest one I've had yet.

You are smart to ask questions before ordering. It's a large amount of money and it's easy to miss some things or get the wrong one.
Sponsored

Last edited: