Sponsored

Apple car play not connecting consistently since OTA update?

hanzie411

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost
Hey all,

Back around mid February, my truck did an update - Ford Power Up 6.4.0. Since then, my apple car play errors out sometimes and wont connect. Phone still connects via bluetooth, but carplay errors. Anyone else having this problem? Funny thing is, it says this update is refinements made to help improve connectivity, but seems for me, it made it worse. I didnt have any problems with carplay before the update.
Sponsored

DrTone

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Raptor, 2022 Tremor 402a
Yep, well reported issue on these forums.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hey all,

Back around mid February, my truck did an update - Ford Power Up 6.4.0. Since then, my apple car play errors out sometimes and wont connect. Phone still connects via bluetooth, but carplay errors. Anyone else having this problem? Funny thing is, it says this update is refinements made to help improve connectivity, but seems for me, it made it worse. I didnt have any problems with carplay before the update.
Hi Jeff, I would be happy to look into this CarPlay concern on my end. Please send over a private message with your VIN to get started.

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
@DrTone , “Yep, well reported issue on these forums.”

Hi Jeff, I would be happy to look into this CarPlay concern on my end. Please send over a private message with your VIN to get started.
Hey @Ford Motor Company, your BOT is asleep at the switch … again. Probably ought to throw a couple bucks into fixing your AI. Or better yet, deep six it and find actual humans who are knowledgeable enough and empowered to actually do some good, Otherwise, you’re just pissing off your customers. Keep in mind that Forum folks tend to be your most engaged and informed customers. Bad idea to piss us off.

RustyL

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 - Space White
Occupation
Graphic Design
Any chance you are having this issue? Ford and Apple seem to have no fix for it.

Sponsored

MattV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS-V, 2023 RCSB F150
Yep, me too, after 6.4.0 my apple car play isn’t near as reliable. Often have to disconnect/reconnect or restart the truck or just listen to the radio. It seemed to work flawlessly before the update.

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
Have seen it a few times too, you can always connect with a cable and then use CarPlay
Since day one this has been the only half way reliable way to get carplay to work.
It’s dumb…i drive a lot of rental cars for work and Ford is bottom for infotainment. My son has a 2017 F150 XL and i prefer the radio in that thing way better than our sync/suck system. No carplay at all is better than unreliable features.

also, it’s laggy and sometimes half the audio stops working. sorry…it’s really annoying.

RustyL

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 - Space White
Occupation
Graphic Design
Me again. After way too much time trying to figure this out I think I just did. It's Spotify! If Spotify is the app I have selected and showing on the trucks screen it will stop the radio when the truck is restarted. Music doesn't even need to be playing on Spotify when I switch to listening to the radio for this to happen. If the screen is showing the Phone contact list or Apple Maps for example, the radio will keep playing when CarPlay automatically connects. I switched out Spotify with Apple Music and iHeart Radio as a test and both of these work fine. It's Spotify. This is no doubt why it worked for me sometimes I just wasn't paying enough attention to what was Currently on the screen.

Sponsored

OP
OP

hanzie411

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost
Me again. After way too much time trying to figure this out I think I just did. It's Spotify! If Spotify is the app I have selected and showing on the trucks screen it will stop the radio when the truck is restarted. Music doesn't even need to be playing on Spotify when I switch to listening to the radio for this to happen. If the screen is showing the Phone contact list or Apple Maps for example, the radio will keep playing when CarPlay automatically connects. I switched out Spotify with Apple Music and iHeart Radio as a test and both of these work fine. It's Spotify. This is no doubt why it worked for me sometimes I just wasn't paying enough attention to what was Currently on the screen.
I don't have the problem you are describing. WHEN my car play connects, it still remembers what i was doing last before shutting the truck off. If it was the radio, it will still play the radio. If it was carplay, it will play carplay (apple music)....assuming it connects and doesn't error when connecting. I don't use spotify.

RustyL

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 - Space White
Occupation
Graphic Design
Hey that's great news Jeff. Glad it works for you with Apple Music. It works properly for me too when using Apple Music. Sounds to me like Apple needs to get together with Spotify and make sure they fix this. I had basically forgotten the my iPhone is still an iPod. Forgot I had music on it. I know...ridiculous!

t5brick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Quality Manager
I’ve had my ‘23 since February and I figured the CarPlay issues were normal. I believe I’m on PowerUp 6.4 as well.

here is what I’ve seen:
  • CarPlay is just laggy all the time. It was much smoother in every other vehicle I’ve used with CarPlay.
  • Random disconnects. The only solution I’ve found is to navigate to My phone on the head unit and manually disconnect and reconnect.
  • Audio only on one side. This has happened several times, but I’m not sure what causes it. Manual disconnect and reconnect from the head unit usually fixes it.
  • Wired CarPlay doesn’t work. I need to try setting this up again, but I very much prefer wired. I’m plugging the phone in to charge it anyway, so I COULD live without wireless.

RustyL

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 - Space White
Occupation
Graphic Design
Andrew you should take it to the Ford Dealership and have them plug it in and test the APIM. Quick Google search for APIM definition. "The SYNC computer, which Ford calls the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), is housed separately from the head unit, called the Audio Control Module (ACM), and interfaces with All vehicle audio sources as well as high-speed and medium speed vehicle CAN buses." I had mine replaced back in November on my 22. My backup camera was freezing, system would reboot on its own and a couple other things.

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
About 5 minutes into my drive the phone will disconnect and reconnect from CarPlay. Then it’s usually fine after that. Super annoying if I’m on a call though
Sponsored