Sponsored

anyone regretting getting the powerboost?

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Some around here claim I AM a Ford plant. 😁

If the grass was tall enough, I'd definitely mow before I parked a hot exhaust over it.
And the grass that's there isn't really grass, but rather EVERYTHING but St. Augustine, which died with Hurricane Harvey.

I've procrastinated and not repaired my little RV park yard since. Was nice before.

Hsweeth.jpg
I'm thankful everyone got through it safe and KRS to the rescue!
Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
True dat!
Actually, it comes with a full pit crew.
(which requires Harbor Freight moving blankets covering those lovely leather rear seats, and Tuxmats protecting the carpet)

We train in the SideXside everyday while making a run to the mailbox

20230223_163155.jpg
Wait, WHAT???

@Snakebitten doesn't look anything like his profile picture!

Tomzz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Expert
Yes ! Mine was a Lemmon and has been traded in for an 3.5 Ecoboost. Also no Lemmon law in Canada. I’m out over $10k

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
I realize this thread was directed at those who do not use the Pro Power On Board, but I do love the Pro Power, which is the main reason I purchased the my 2021 Lariat Powerboost. I use the 7.2Kw inverter generator (actually 2 3600w feeds) to power my travel trailer, AC coffee maker, tank heater, water fridge all with no worry about running out of power. Solar is cool and some trailers are getting better about being able to run AC etc, but the Powerboost is too reliable and easy. We do not use full service campgrounds. We mostly do dispersed camping on BLM land. This truck is an absolute magnificent use of technology for what we do.

I likely would not have traded in my 2015 Lariat 3.5l ecoboost for the Powerboost if not for the trailer/camping piece, but since I did, I enjoy most of the features it has to offer in addition to the power source. I can leave my dog in the truck on warm days, I like the big touch screen, the power and torque of course. It's simply an all round great truck.

I read about the various problems with them and I wonder if I get an incorrect perception because mine has been almost problem free. I've had the several recall items completed and I had the PCM Module reprogrammed to cure the rough shift issue. I now have 30k miles on it with about 7k of those towing a 4900lb loaded TT. Just changed the tires from the stock Wranglers to Michelin Defender LTXs. What a difference. Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys their Powerboost as much as I do mine.

OP
OP

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
i wrote this thread partly because my wife changed her mind and does not want this truck as her daily driver. i take our Tesla to work because i drive the furthest. before we gotten the truck we all agreed to get the powerboost hybrid so she was going to use it as her daily and sell our Lexus RX which gets about 20mpg mix and uses 91 octane. but she changed her mind after 3 weeks of driving the truck, she wants to drive the Lexus again, citing the truck is too big to park and mpg is similar to the Lexus, oh dooohh. therefore, i was like had i knew this before i would've gotten the 3.5 ecoboost and save ourselves $10k. moral of the story, never consult wife for car buying :p.

Sponsored

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
i'm strictly asking those who do not use powerboost only features (extra towing capacity, onboard generator, etc) frequently like i do. a part of me wish i had just bought the 3.5 ecoboost. less headache to worry about down the road with the hybrid system. more mods available for the ecoboost too. powerboost's mpg seems underwhelmed. anyone in similar boat?
I agree, the complications from the complexity could be an issue, but for me my biggest daily use is the idling with the AC on with the engine off, drive through, ATM, lights, stop and go traffic, drive in movie theater. And that's even if you don't use the extra generator like you were talking about, the MPGs and city while I'm doing errands is way better than any other truck except the small diesels, and they too have complexity and higher service costs. Livernois and a few other tuners are out now for the Powerboost, several cold air intake companies. And I always appreciate the extra 70 lb of torque. That's not just a drop in the bucket for me.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
i wrote this thread partly because my wife changed her mind and does not want this truck as her daily driver. i take our Tesla to work because i drive the furthest. before we gotten the truck we all agreed to get the powerboost hybrid so she was going to use it as her daily and sell our Lexus RX which gets about 20mpg mix and uses 91 octane. but she changed her mind after 3 weeks of driving the truck, she wants to drive the Lexus again, citing the truck is too big to park and mpg is similar to the Lexus, oh dooohh. therefore, i was like had i knew this before i would've gotten the 3.5 ecoboost and save ourselves $10k. moral of the story, never consult wife for car buying :p.
True words sir. Our 22 Outback Touring XT is going to find its' way to Austin for my daughter and son-in-law to drive because my better half has decided she'd look great in a Bronco Wildtrack. Now, she'd look good in a Yugo and that's no way to make financial decisions, but I do have my truck and maybe she'll let me drive it now and then. :p

rtf150

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Agate Black 501A FX4 Powerboost
My only regret is that I didn't read this forum in the weeks leading up to purchasing my PowerBoost. Had I done that, I may have waited a few months to get a 2021 Job 2 truck.

My 2021 Job 1 PowerBoost has been in the shop for a running total of 150+ days, and we're not sure if the problem has been addressed yet or not... anyway, it's a great truck with ~99% uptime. The problem is that the 1% downtime is always inconvenient, mostly unpredictable, and generally infuriating. Like someone else mentioned, it's the "Stop Safely Now" + no start condition.
The problem is that the 1% downtime is always inconvenient, mostly unpredictable, and generally infuriating.

I’m sorry you’re having these issues, and I have had a few as well…but would this not apply to any vehicle make or model?

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A PowerBoost
Occupation
DevOps
The problem is that the 1% downtime is always inconvenient, mostly unpredictable, and generally infuriating.

I’m sorry you’re having these issues, and I have had a few as well…but would this not apply to any vehicle make or model?
1% is actually a lot of downtime (3.65 days / year)--in my case, my truck has been out of my hands for 150+ days in the past calendar year for the same issue, but I am trying to measure "real" downtime, not time spent sitting in the dealer's lot, waiting for service/advice from Ford. If it was predictable, easily identifiable, and had known procedures to fix, even if it had a lot of problems, 1% downtime it would be less of an issue. The real problem is the uncertainty that at any moment it could leave me stranded, because it has, on 6 separate occasions.

EDIT: To elaborate. The 2021 job-1 trucks were manufactured during a parts shortage for several different computer modules. As a result of these shortages, there have been reports of vehicles being sold with temporary 12V batteries, used for porting vehicles between temporary storage locations, and vehicles parked for months after being (mostly) assembled, waiting for parts. The problem, is that these vehicles finished assembly outside of normal assembly line + QA procedures, so there were bound to be a higher margin of errors. I am convinced my service is experience is a direct result of this, and I could probably have avoided buying this vehicle if I had paid better attention to these forums.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The problem with job 1 21s is that it was the first run of the trucks. Personally I won't get a first year vehicle unless there's been some clear attention / changes made to the latter part of the run. 21s actually had the least amount of part shortage deletes. Since then the deletes have gotten out of hand.

Sponsored

gadiedrick

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew long bed hybrid
Occupation
retired USN Chief Petty Officer
i'm strictly asking those who do not use powerboost only features (extra towing capacity, onboard generator, etc) frequently like i do. a part of me wish i had just bought the 3.5 ecoboost. less headache to worry about down the road with the hybrid system. more mods available for the ecoboost too. powerboost's mpg seems underwhelmed. anyone in similar boat?
No regrets with our PB. We've used the onboard generator when we're too lazy to pull the vacuum outta the garage & run an extension cord from the house. We have done no serious towing but we really appreciate the overall MPG. We avg. 'round 18 for a couple or 3 months with IL winters but even run'n the A/C in the summer we avg. 'round 22 MPG. No issues with transitioning from gas to elec. Rides great & really like downshift'n the 10 speed transmission instead of braking. Our only regret is that we were too cheap to upgrade from the XLT & we've gotta fold in one of our large towing mirrors to get through the garage door. Not'a big deal but we would have had to get the leather seat/elec fold'n mirrors option. Don't want no stick'n leather in our truck ...... afterall it'sa TRUCK! The other regret is we didn't negotiate for the extended warranty & paid full price of over $2,500 @ the time we took delivery in DEC of 2020 after wait'n 6 months when we ordered in JUL of 2020. Live & learn.

PB Humbler

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
I enjoy smoking ecoboosts every chance I get. That alone is worth the money 😎
Im right here in St Augustine if you want to test that theory for Say $1000. I will even give you a full truck length. Your truck looks like it needs some taillights in its diet to stay grounded. And ill do this is a truck with 87k with 70k plus was spent towing up and down mountains. and over 1400 idle hrs.

The PB and in general the 14th gen trucks are quick but once you drive it with either the 93 or the e30 tune, You realize that the power in stock form is anemic at best.

I honestly enjoy picking on the TRX crowd any chance because they lose their shit

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Im right here in St Augustine if you want to test that theory for Say $1000. I will even give you a full truck length. Your truck looks like it needs some taillights in its diet to stay grounded. And ill do this is a truck with 87k with 70k plus was spent towing up and down mountains. and over 1400 idle hrs.

The PB and in general the 14th gen trucks are quick but once you drive it with either the 93 or the e30 tune, You realize that the power in stock form is anemic at best.

I honestly enjoy picking on the TRX crowd any chance because they lose their shit
You do realize the PB has the same motor right? It's benefit is the 35kW worth of e-motor it's got adding 47hp / 70ftlb tq across the entire powerband sitting on the front of the trans.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
The problem with job 1 21s is that it was the first run of the trucks. Personally I won't get a first year vehicle unless there's been some clear attention / changes made to the latter part of the run. 21s actually had the least amount of part shortage deletes. Since then the deletes have gotten out of hand.
2021 job 2 FTW ;) - at least I'm hoping as a Nov 21 build, lol. But yeah, agree. I don't think I'd ever buy a first year again. We want to replace our 2010 odyssey and 2013 outback, looking at either a Honda Pilot or BMW X5 PHEV, both of which are basically in year 1 of either completely being new or mid cycle refresh with major changes, so we're gonna wait it out a year or two.

Im right here in St Augustine....
Hello neighbor

Ford F-150 anyone regretting getting the powerboost? 60n47vl1vg83qoqso0a5ow&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems

That's just a tuner war. If I get the Livernois PB tune then what? We could go back and forth all day. Stock the PB is faster period.
Sponsored