Sponsored

Any negatives to the extendable Tow Mirrors?

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Found a truck that is optioned very close to what I am looking for except it has the larger Tow mirrors - I understand the advantage related to towing, but assuming I will tow rarely (could always change) are there any disadvantages to these mirrors?
Sponsored

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
They are extra wide and it can be difficult to drive through a single car garage door opening.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Found a truck that is optioned very close to what I am looking for except it has the larger Tow mirrors - I understand the advantage related to towing, but assuming I will tow rarely (could always change) are there any disadvantages to these mirrors?
I actually like them much better than the regular mirrors. True they are wider, but they also allow a much wider field of view beside and behind you. The standard mirrors, in my opinion, are too narrow, too short and not convexed enough to adequately show you what is beside you in a meaningful way.

As for them being wider when going into a garage or a drive through, I haven't had an issue with this yet, but since they have electric folding I don't imagine it would be too much of a hassle. As long as you remember them if you find yourself in a situation where you have to.

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I’m a huge fan of the larger tow mirrors. Not a problem going through a single car garage door if you have power folding. Only negative that I can think of is your mpg might be impacted slightly but i don’t think it would amount to much or anything noticeable.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
They don’t stick out as much as they seem, I don’t see them causing any problems parking in garages, since they don’t stick out anymore than you need to open the door to exit the truck.

They have to effect MPG, it would be interesting to compare nearly identical builds that only differ in mirror options.

Driving at night in the city and into the sunset when glare becomes an issue are the major drawback in my opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
They don’t stick out as much as they seem, I don’t see them causing any problems parking in garages, since they don’t stick out anymore than you need to open the door to exit the truck.

They have to effect MPG, it would be interesting to compare nearly identical builds that only differ in mirror options.
Yep that was a concern I could think of, although is it a big hit or minor hit - I think I will go look at it in person tomorrow

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
FYI not all TT mirrors have the power fold in option

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I had many trucks and the regulars mirrors worked ok for me, but similar to you I found one a new one on the lot with tow mirrors and everything else I wanted and more. I did get it and can not be more happy, you can see behind you better, but yes just make sure that they are power, you will love them..

Ecoblue

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Antimater
Occupation
Technician
They are wider. Automatic car washes are dicey. As for real negatives, its a learning curve. I wouldn’t go back.

StangTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4, 5.0L
Came from regular mirrors on my '18 to tow mirrors on the '21. LOVE the extra size for viewing angles and very helpful when backing into parking spaces etc. No issues so far....I just fold them in tight spaces (like the bank teller window). Would not go back :)

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
Which mirrors don’t fold?
I think they all fold, but on 2021, you had to have Lariat and above to get power folding. XLT was manual. That was one of the big things for me because I have to have folded mirrors to fit into my garage. Manual folding was a hard no.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I think they are a must have, even if you don't tow. I did almost scrap them going through a tight Pharmacy drive through, lesson learned and now I make sure to use the power folding when needed, no big deal.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I love the tow mirrors whether towing or not. The lower portion covers blind spots beautifully, while the upper (adjustable) portion give a HUGE field of view. You can even see the entire grill of the car behind you in your own lane. The telescoping when towing to see the entire side of your trailer (usually 96" wide) is just gravy.

I powerfold them to get into my garage and through all drive-thrus, plus some parking spots where I don't trust the neighboring cars.

And yes: Lariat and up get powerfolding tow mirrors with chrome caps; XL/XLT get manual folding tow mirrors with black caps. There is no option in build&price to upgrade or downgrade the type of tow mirrors, it is dictated by the trim.