Sponsored

Why regular mirrors with Tow Package? Anyone install tow mirrors?

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I use stock mirrors. Trailer is only 7’ wide. Pretty sure the blis automatically turns off when the trailer is detected.
I would hope it wouldn’t turn off. Even on my 2020 Ranger, the BLIS adjusts to allow blind spot assistance for the entire length of the trailer. I’m not always a big fan of electronics for safety, so my wife and I tested this with another vehicle in a parking lot while towing our camper… and it works! My ‘21 F150 with tow mirrors has the same system. You may want to give it a little test - you may be pleasantly surprised.
Sponsored

BigPaulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
US Army (Ret)/GS Civilian
Why? Because alot of trailers don't need big ole tow mirrors. Unless you're dragging an enclosed car trailer or a travel trailer, you really don't need them. In fact, my last 2 trucks have had tow packages without tow mirrors.
To me they (tow mirrors) are way to big.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
To me they (tow mirrors) are way to big.
They are pretty big. VERY functional, but big. The standard mirrors are a little too small though for a big truck. They make the lead foot look kinda’ like a hippo. If they came in green… Shrek! ?

HogieATX

First Name
Hogie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 XLT
I found a truck with everything I wanted except the tow mirrors. I was a bit concerned as a pull a travel trailer, but I noticed the regular mirrors are a nice size and shape (test drove in areas I was used to the view from my old truck’s tow mirrors).

And with all the towing assist features on the ‘21, it should be an easier tow than my ‘02 F-250 was.

They also showed me the pricing for the ”aftermarket“ kit from Ford Parts for a ‘20 F-150 for adding tow mirrors (mirrors, wiring harness, etc). It was priced ~ $1100.00 US. They assured me Ford would be doing the same for the ‘21, but just haven’t published the kit BOM yet.

They sealed the deal by dropping the price on my truck enough to cover adding the tow mirrors later if I decided I didn’t like how the stock mirrors performed.
I ordered mine with Tow Mirrors but I'm thinking I won't need them or want them in my crowded city. Want to discuss a swap?

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
as someone with an XLT- non powered tow mirrors- have you found them annoying especially the passenger side?
I haven't had the need to adjust them in and out but I wouldn't find it a hassle to do so if I needed to. The angle adjustment of the mirrors are powered but they are manual fold as well. That doesn't bother me either.

Sponsored

Lugusthedog

First Name
Lugus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Maxtow 3.5 EB
Occupation
retired

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
Why would they have a tow package but use regular mirrors? Has anyone changed out non tow mirrors to tow mirrors?
When ordering/building a new truck, the Ford website specifically states that Tow Mirrors are not included in the Tow Package, and that they are a separate "stand-alone" option.

Why? In the process of preparing to order my '22, it was a foregone assumption that I would order the Tow Mirrors to compliment my Tow Package. I have 3 different trailers that I pull, and all of my previous trucks were not equipped with Tow Mirrors. This was going to be my first truck with them and was kind of excited about it. Then I paid closer attention to the new trucks that actually had Tow Mirrors and noticed that even with the telescoping feature fully retracted, they make the truck wider. This made me go look at the Ford dimensions and specifications, and sure enough - a Tow Mirror equipped truck would not fit in my garage without folding them in for every entry/exit into the garage. Forget that! I ordered my truck without Tow Mirrors and I have no regrets.

OleCuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
My 2021 PowerBoost came with regular mirrors (we bought off the lot rather than ordering). I'm going to be towing a travel trailer so we paid to get the tow mirrors put on.

I don't like the look of the truck as much with the tow mirrors but I like the look in the mirrors a whole lot better.

I do need to take it back to the dealer, however, as the right mirror aims down as far as it can go when folded and does not come back to the proper aim when un-folded. I'm not sure if it is a wiring issue or a software issue.

One thing I'd note is that the tow mirrors probably adversely affect the coefficient of drag so gas mileage must suffer but I'm not sure how significant it really is.
Sponsored