Sponsored

Answering call using the Steering wheel button behaves differently then when using the screen "answer" button

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
Seeing if anyone has seen this. I've always used Android Auto to connect my phone but, I've noticed that when I use my steering wheel button to answer calls all is well I can have my conversation hands free. But when I touch the "answer" on the screen it defaults to my handset (no handsfree). Anyone see this issue and solve it?

Ford F-150 Answering call using the Steering wheel button behaves differently then when using the screen "answer" button 1642027892080
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Seeing if anyone has seen this. I've always used Android Auto to connect my phone but, I've noticed that when I use my steering wheel button to answer calls all is well I can have my conversation hands free. But when I touch the "answer" on the screen it defaults to my handset (no handsfree). Anyone see this issue and solve it?

1642027892080.png
Hi there. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Not to high jack your thread, but I have a somewhat related issue. It might be by design, but it's slightly annoying. When bluetooth (CarPlay) is connected, and I answer a phone call via steering wheel, it changes the "My View" screen and it stays that way when the call is ended. I then have to scroll back to my preset My View. Versus, answering it via touchscreen and it returns to my normal "My View" when the call is ended.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Not to high jack your thread, but I have a somewhat related issue. It might be by design, but it's slightly annoying. When bluetooth (CarPlay) is connected, and I answer a phone call via steering wheel, it changes the "My View" screen and it stays that way when the call is ended. I then have to scroll back to my preset My View. Versus, answering it via touchscreen and it returns to my normal "My View" when the call is ended.
Maybe you should "send @Ford Motor Company a message with your VIN and dealership info? They can look into things on their end. "

Just trying to make the process more efficient for @Ford Motor Company

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost

1642027892080.png
I have the same issue with Android Auto but haven't found a fix yet. Keep us in the loop if you find a solution.

Sponsored

OP
OP
azDcab21

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
I have the same issue with Android Auto but haven't found a fix yet. Keep us in the loop if you find a solution.
my workaround is after answering the call on the screen you need to select "bluetooth" and it will switch and work. the issue is the default is "phone". there are icons on the bottom of screen after you answer the call. I will try to get a snapshot if you can't find it.

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
Mine does the same thing in carplay

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
I've had this happen a handful of times, but none within the past several months. I also use Android. I had a lot of connectivity issues with AA in the first couple months of having the truck, and I always used the USB connection. Now that I think about it, since I avoided the physical connection and solely use the Wifi now I've practically had no issues.. and wonder if that was in some way related to those initial problems.. hmm.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW

1642027892080.png
I have seen this and other weird behavior, such as a round red "hang up" button on the screen that refuses to go away, won't hang up the call even though the call ended a while back. As I mentioned in the past - totally "not impressed" (understatement...) from SYNC 4.

Are you sure CarPlay is connected through Bluetooth?
Because with Android I can connect either through BT or through Android Auto, and some functions won't work with Android Auto, others won't work with BT. Extremely, extremely annoying.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I have seen this and other weird behavior, such as a round red "hang up" button on the screen that refuses to go away, won't hang up the call even though the call ended a while back. As I mentioned in the past - totally "not impressed" (understatement...) from SYNC 4.

Are you sure CarPlay is connected through Bluetooth?
Because with Android I can connect either through BT or through Android Auto, and some functions won't work with Android Auto, others won't work with BT. Extremely, extremely annoying.
Good question. I'm taking from this that Bluetooth and CarPlay are TWO separate connections?

I would have to say that 99% of the time, its connected via CarPlay.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Good question. I'm taking from this that Bluetooth and CarPlay are TWO separate connections?

CarPlay connects via wifi only. It will actually disconnect Bluetooth from your truck before connecting to CarPlay. And it will disconnect any known networks in the area.

Example: I have bad service at my house. If I want to sit in my truck on my phone I have to open the door so my phone will use my home wifi lol

Reactions: sbi

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Yes, two separate connections and it is annoying as hell.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Yes, two separate connections and it is annoying as hell.
I'll have to check this out. I'm usually connecting my AA to SYNC4 using BT (and it enables my WIFI to connect to the truck as well).

I don't connect directly to SYNC4 with USB cable, but will have to test both ways for this oddity.

Like I said, Ford is not a software/tech company.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll have to check this out. I'm usually connecting my AA to SYNC4 using BT (and it enables my WIFI to connect to the truck as well).

I don't connect directly to SYNC4 with USB cable, but will have to test both ways for this oddity.

Like I said, Ford is not a software/tech company.
If your Android is connected to SYNC 4 via BT then it's not connected with Android Auto. Click your phone in the phone list and you'll see that you have the option to disconnect from one and connect with the other. It's really werid.
Sponsored