Sponsored

Airlift vs RAS

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
Anyone install? I was banking on installing the RideControl model as I read they ride softer when empty, but I just spoke with Airlift and they said RideControl doesn't fit the 2021 f150 and I would have to use the LoadLifter. To which, I've read rides real harsh.

I'm bummed. all the suspension kits are technically supported for the 2021. I want to lift the front of the truck for new tires, but afraid of sagging too much when hauling.

Anybody have a working solutions and can help me?
Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
I've had several sets of Airlift and Firestone "bags" and they've worked well. On this truck, I decided to try the Roadmaster Active Suspension and I'm sooo glad I did! They work great and are much smoother. Super easy install also.

OP
OP
petervenkman

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
nice, so does the RAS help with sag?

go with 2” pucks up front and RAS in the back?

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
nice, so does the RAS help with sag?

go with 2” pucks up front and RAS in the back?
I have a 2” puck. With the RAS set with the black spacer I have right at a 1 3/4” rake empty. With my trailer hooked up(600lb tongue weight and 200lbs of gear in the bed) I still have 3/4” rake. Cornering stability is greatly improved both loaded and unloaded.
So yes, the RAS helps with sag.

OP
OP
petervenkman

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
I have a 2” puck. With the RAS set with the black spacer I have right at a 1 3/4” rake empty. With my trailer hooked up(600lb tongue weight and 200lbs of gear in the bed) I still have 3/4” rake. Cornering stability is greatly improved both loaded and unloaded.
So yes, the RAS helps with sag.
Amazing. this info is perfect! Did you go with the HD kit or the standard? The guys as Roadmaster suggest HD this morning.

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
I bought the HD.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I installed the Airlift bags, works great. They released the 5000 model for the '21 F-150 last month, now compatible with the axle bracket that conflicted with earlier year models of air bags from Airlift and Firestone. I went with the Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus model (with stainless hoses) and installed their Wireless One EZ Mount compressor and control system, all seamless. Now I can run the truck at stock levels no matter which trailer is on the hitch, from kayaks to the 10k fishing boat. Helps a lot with stability, doesn't technically increase legal gross vehicle or axle weight, but combined with upgraded truck tires, significantly improves loaded ride and margin of safety.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Answering OP's question, the Loadlifter has no impact on ride whatsoever at minimum PSI (5 psi). It replaces the stock jounce bumpers. I notice no change in ride when pumping them up to maintain 40 inches height at the top of the wheel arch (1" of sag from stock height), with varying psi depending on which trailer and tongue weight I have on the truck. Even at the most psi I've used, 60, I see no difference in ride or comfort, as the bags are just keeping the truck at near stock level, so the shocks and springs are doing their standard thing, assisted by the bags. I believe the bags max out at 99 psi, but I run them at 35 psi with my biggest trailer, now that I've got it dialed in at the proper tongue weight - the psi that I use is whatever is required to get the wheel arch back to 40" clear from the road surface.

OP
OP
petervenkman

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
I bought the HD.
Answering OP's question, the Loadlifter has no impact on ride whatsoever at minimum PSI (5 psi). It replaces the stock jounce bumpers. I notice no change in ride when pumping them up to maintain 40 inches height at the top of the wheel arch (1" of sag from stock height), with varying psi depending on which trailer and tongue weight I have on the truck. Even at the most psi I've used, 60, I see no difference in ride or comfort, as the bags are just keeping the truck at near stock level, so the shocks and springs are doing their standard thing, assisted by the bags. I believe the bags max out at 99 psi, but I run them at 35 psi with my biggest trailer, now that I've got it dialed in at the proper tongue weight - the psi that I use is whatever is required to get the wheel arch back to 40" clear from the road surface.

thanks guys. i feel like i’m so close. will probably go with readylift up front and either one of these in the back.

i’m so torn to what the right move is. the fluidity of the wireless air sounds great but so does the increased handling of the RAS.

ahhh what to do.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
OP, did you ever decide? I am facing a similar scenario and would like to know what you ended up doing and if you're satisfied. Thanks !

Sponsored

jordandev

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A (on order...)
Just chiming in that I'm really satisfied with the RAS. Have the HD kit. Truck drives great with it unloaded and reduced sag a ton with a 700 lbs on the tongue from the trailer.

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Same boat really looking at airlift 5000+ ultimate kit though

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Just chiming in that I'm really satisfied with the RAS. Have the HD kit. Truck drives great with it unloaded and reduced sag a ton with a 700 lbs on the tongue from the trailer.
Do you have max tow?

I’m very set on the Falcon tow strut system and have a Hellwig bar ready to install. Part of me is like “Go RAS HD! Tow a house!” the other part thinks the back end will be wound tighter than a $2 watch. I’m also getting 157” wheelbase, so having a more bound together in the rear is probably a good thing.

Derek83

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 SCREW Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Do you have max tow?

I’m very set on the Falcon tow strut system and have a Hellwig bar ready to install. Part of me is like “Go RAS HD! Tow a house!” the other part thinks the back end will be wound tighter than a $2 watch. I’m also getting 157” wheelbase, so having a more bound together in the rear is probably a good thing.
I'm curious about this too, i have a 157 amd am considering the falcons too

jordandev

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A (on order...)
Do you have max tow?

Yeah the truck is max tow. Falcon tow stuff looked pretty nice but I thought that was overkill for me with the RAS and Bilstein 5100s.
Sponsored