First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Hey guys, just got my 2022 Plat 6.5ft Powerboost and hoping to maximize my MPGs as best possible. I've watched the "Hypermile" videos and done a lot of reading on the subject.
But I'm wanting to approach from another angle... What about upgraded cold air intakes? Dual exhaust? Or other ideas?
I drive my current 2015 Platty with a Tonneau cover and that helps a little. But want to really see my best numbers possible.
Let me know what has worked for you!
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The engine management for the Ecoboost is torque management. The goal to increase efficiency via the intake or exhaust would only be measurable if the factory components weren't efficient enough and the aftermarket was a sufficient improvement.

In my opinion that scenario doesn't exist. And even if it did, it would take many many thousands of miles to realize a gain economically.

Strategy is the lowest hanging fruit with these trucks. Addressing the affects of ambient temperatures is a prime example. Or put another way, getting heat into the motor asap would be a potential goal.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
put another way, getting heat into the motor asap would be a potential goal.
Hot air?
Cold air has always been preferred over hot air. I used to lay bags of ice on my intake before 1/4 mile runs. Colder air is more dense and contains more oxygen than warmer air... Ok setting all my nerdy engine building aside who has done CAI or duals or anything else for these newer builds?

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
Driving the speed limit is free and will help mileage better than all that combined. The difference between running along at 65 in the right lane and 75 running the races with everyone else is about 3mpg. Drag increases exponentially with speed, remember that.

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
Hot air?
Cold air has always been preferred over hot air. I used to lay bags of ice on my intake before 1/4 mile runs. Colder air is more dense and contains more oxygen than warmer air... Ok setting all my nerdy engine building aside who has done CAI or duals or anything else for these newer builds?
The horsepower needed to run at a steady highway cruise is not very much. Way less than 100hp. You’d probably gain more from a less dense and hotter intake charge reducing pumping loss though.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot air?
This is a Hybrid.
It's best fuel mileage is when it's being a Hybrid.
A cold Powerboost is not a Hybrid.
But I wasn't really talking about IAT2's. (intake air temps)
I was talking about hot oil and engine coolant.

It'll make more sense after you have had it a while.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i do the anticipated slow downs if traffic permits, and let truck coast if i can
i will say this
for the last 8 weeks i drive at around 2 am to take my grandchild to work its a 44 mile round trip and most is at 65 to 70 steady state and coast in town if possible
i have gained 2 mpg in the truck and 3 in the edge over a tank of fuel
no traffic at 2 am is a HUGE MPG gainer imo

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Driving the speed limit is free and will help mileage better than all that combined. The difference between running along at 65 in the right lane and 75 running the races with everyone else is about 3mpg. Drag increases exponentially with speed, remember that.
Sorry I didn't mean racing this truck.
I work from home so my biggest guzzler is the 48 miles out to the lake place. Half is freeway the other half is windy country roads.
I didn't need a PB and frankly the diff between my 2015 Ecoboost and the V8 is very minimal... Not even sure what's so Eco about it. But this truck with what it came with so if it advertised 24 I'd LOVE to see 24, or more.
Here is one of my beasts... Not my quarter car though.

Ford F-150 Add ons\upgrades for better MPG? img_2_1651502706073

Ford F-150 Add ons\upgrades for better MPG? img_3_1651502721429

Ford F-150 Add ons\upgrades for better MPG? img_2_1646407383274

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
Some claim the factory intercooler is inefficient and that adding a quality aftermarket one helps keep IATs in check while towing in the heat, and removes restriction enough to see a roughly 1 mpg increase. Not sure if it’s true, but I keep reading about it with those who add the CVF Titan V2 to their 3.5 and 2.7 trucks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some claim the factory intercooler is inefficient and that adding a quality aftermarket one helps keep IATs in check while towing in the heat, and removes restriction enough to see a roughly 1 mpg increase. Not sure if it’s true, but I keep reading about it with those who add the CVF Titan V2 to their 3.5 and 2.7 trucks.
I imagine that a Powerboost would benefit from a better Intercooler, especially when driving in a mode that prohibits it from running in EV mode, thus the ICE is getting lower IATs.
But of course the OP is looking for the best fuel economy, so he would prefer more EV miles? :)

One thing that you have to learn to live with on the Powerboost is higher IATs. Kinda frustrating, actually. When it's in EV mode there's no air flowing through the intake, of course, so the fully operating temperature of the block heat soaks the intake manifold and cooks the stale air in it. As soon as the ICE starts running, those IATs fall pretty quickly, but they are falling from a much higher temp than the non-Hybrid Ecoboost, and they never overcome the heat soaked manifold before the engine might return to EV mode, and start the temp swing again.

I've removed the louvers in front of the Intercooler and was disappointed to find it made little difference.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I imagine that a Powerboost would benefit from a better Intercooler, especially when driving in a mode that prohibits it from running in EV mode, thus the ICE is getting lower IATs.
But of course the OP is looking for the best fuel economy, so he would prefer more EV miles? :)

One thing that you have to learn to live with on the Powerboost is higher IATs. Kinda frustrating, actually. When it's in EV mode there's no air flowing through the intake, of course, so the fully operating temperature of the block heat soaks the intake manifold and cooks the stale air in it. As soon as the ICE starts running, those IATs fall pretty quickly, but they are falling from a much higher temp than the non-Hybrid Ecoboost, and they never overcome the heat soaked manifold before the engine might return to EV mode, and start the temp swing again.

I've removed the louvers in front of the Intercooler and was disappointed to find it made little difference.
Ok thanks.
Back to back Ecos and have never been happy with the numbers I've gotten.
2011 was bone stock and 2015 I averaged about 18.6, but that was only after a Banks IC and dual exhaust but as another said it was very minimal and not a huge gain and yes you're right, I know nothing about this Hybrid. I see the battery run for about 100ft to 1/4mile and then it's gas all day.
Would love to see that run until I hit 35-40mph but I barely see 20mph before engine kicks in.
And so far "Eco Mode" runs worse than Normal, so I'm REALLY doing something wrong.
Just thought the PB Veterans might have some tried and true secrets.
Maybe I should follow another post and strip the sucker and have a single Recaro seat!
:)

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Maybe try to find some Lightning take-off wheels/tires.

That’s probably going to be the best bang for the buck. All other upgrades would probably cost more than they saved.

More air into the engine would mean more fuel burning. I still think Ford should have done the PB with the 2.7 rather than the 3.5. Or even one of the NA engines and gone Atkinson cycle like other hybrids.

Try using the ribbon gauge with the instant fuel consumption in My View on the highway and play with it to tune your right foot. Also try the different modes. I somehow get better MPG in tow/haul when driving in traffic in my V8. Though my best tanks have been driving in Eco mode but not in traffic, since you have to drive around like you’re transporting nitroglycerin to see any improvement.

Good luck and be sure to share your results!

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My recommendation to see the most fuel improvement: garage your vehicle in a climate-controlled building, or at least use an engine heater. It'll take less time for the truck to get up to operating temperature, especially in those cold Idaho winters. My experience has been that it functions most efficiently (and therefore, highest MPGs) when the engine and transmission are at steady operating temperature, and a "full" battery (as full as it'll let you get, anyway).

With regard to it being a hybrid, there are a number of threads on here that talk about how the powerboost is not really like a standard hybrid. Unlike most hybrids that are designed to maximize fuel efficiency, the truck has a relatively small electric motor and battery; it's not really intended to be driven for long stretches in electric mode. The electric motor is intended to supplement the gas engine to provide more power (hence the name: PowerBoost). It is certainly more fuel efficient than it's sister Ecoboost without the electric motor, and there are driving strategies to maximize that efficiency, but I'm sceptical that you'd get much impovement with many aftermarket upgrades.

Actually, maybe another way of thinking about it is to think about which typical "upgrades" you should skip to improve fuel efficiency: lift kits, bigger wheels/tires, or truck leveling. From what I've read, those all come with a built-in hit to MPG.

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
I too get les MPG in ECO mode.
Sponsored