Sponsored

7.2 kW generator retrofit?

Scoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A FX4
I did the same thing settling for 2.4 and here's how I live with it:

The larger 7.2 kW inverter actually takes up considerable space in the cab under the rear seat, which, otherwise can be used for storage. I use said storage every day for emergency gear: fire extinguisher, water, tools, first aid kit, etc. It's a pretty big, useful space. Also from what I hear, the 7.2 kW inverter also makes a bit of noise as well when in use, which is less than pleasant.

While I do make use of the storage every day, I do not, however, use my 2.4 kW inverter every day. And when I do use it, I'm very rarely pushing its capacity. While it is nice to fantasize about using 7.2 kW to charge a friend's Tesla or power an entire house in an emergency, I would like to think that the 2.4 would still be of some use in those situations, and in this case I gain a bit of storage and peace and quiet during my everyday driving.

Does the pang of regret that this option was only a nominal upgrade in price come back to haunt me? Yes, it does. But, this makes it easier to live with, and quells the desire to retrofit a 7.2kW inverter.
Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
You've confused the 2KW inverter on the non hybrid with the 7.2KW on the hybrid. The 2KW non-hybrid takes up the space inside the cab under the rear seat. The 7.2KW does not. It is outside the cab, same as the 2.4KW you have. Go config a Powerboost with either standard 2.4KW or the optional 7.2KW, then add the underseat lockable storage, it works for either.

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Star White Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
You've confused the 2KW inverter on the non hybrid with the 7.2KW on the hybrid. The 2KW non-hybrid takes up the space inside the cab under the rear seat. The 7.2KW does not. It is outside the cab, same as the 2.4KW you have. Go config a Powerboost with either standard 2.4KW or the optional 7.2KW, then add the underseat lockable storage, it works for either.
Yup. I have the 7.2 and there's nothing under the back seats.

Scoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yup. I have the 7.2 and there's nothing under the back seats.
I wasn't referring to the partitioned lockable storage, but rather what's behind it. Do you have a big empty space behind there too?

Resume regularly-scheduled regret...

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Hate to say it, but it is probably more trouble than it’s worth once you get into costs and labor.

A third party making a kit could be a viable option if the PowerBoost gets popular enough.

Scoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing back there! Sorry to revive your regret!
1618553231827.png
It’s a beautiful thing. Now I’m starting to regret not getting the fold flat lockable storage too! It actually looks pretty....flat!

CarolynStride

First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 4x2
Occupation
Retired?
I ordered the 2.4 and am still content. I don't need a welder. Nice to know I can supplement the solar in cloudy weeks on my trailer. Trailer inverter is only 1500W so 2400 is plenty to top off batteries or run some equipment for a bit.
All these options keep adding $$ to the build.

RJP

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Power Boost
Ford is working on mine now to get the parts to change over to the 7.2 as the vehicle was ordered and sold to me as having the 7.2 included. Now if they get it done is another story but the factory folks said it could be done. Problem now is they cant get the parts as everything is on back order.

lawduck1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost XLT on order
It’s a beautiful thing. Now I’m starting to regret not getting the fold flat lockable storage too! It actually looks pretty....flat!
But it’s only flat when it is not storing….

Sponsored

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
My 2021 ecoboost had the 2.0kw inverter and it was under the rear seat. There was no storage available under that seat. It did make some noise that sounded like a fan. My 2022 Powerboost does have the extra storage under the rear seat and don’t seem make that fan noise.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I ordered the 2.4 and am still content. I don't need a welder. Nice to know I can supplement the solar in cloudy weeks on my trailer. Trailer inverter is only 1500W so 2400 is plenty to top off batteries or run some equipment for a bit.
All these options keep adding $$ to the build.
The 7.2 Kw "generator" is only $750 more. IMO, it's the best option on my MY22 PB. Of course I tow a lot, and much of that towing involves boondocking. 7.2Kw of Pro Power on Board sure beats the heck out of hauling and deploying 2 Honda 2K generators and the necessary gasoline.

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
Ford is working on mine now to get the parts to change over to the 7.2 as the vehicle was ordered and sold to me as having the 7.2 included. Now if they get it done is another story but the factory folks said it could be done. Problem now is they cant get the parts as everything is on back order.
Did your dealer ever come through with the 7.2 upgrade?

RJP

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Power Boost
Did your dealer ever come through with the 7.2 upgrade?
yes they did but all the parts except the gen were already in the vehicle. Once they got into it all everything was just laid over. Took about 30 mins to finish/

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
yes they did but all the parts except the gen were already in the vehicle. Once they got into it all everything was just laid over. Took about 30 mins to finish/
Interesting. So the only part needed to make the upgrade is the generator? Any idea what the cost is for the generator?
I assume you needed the 220v outlet in the bed as well?
Sponsored