501A to 502A

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I think this is the correct sub forum, if not please move.

This thread will be dedicated to me upgrading my 501A Lariat to a 502A, as you probably guessed from the title. I’ll also be trying to add back in as many removed features (features in the 21’s that were removed in the 22’s) as reasonably possible.

So far what I have planned is:
Rain sensing wipers
Power tilt and telescoping wheel
Heated steering wheel
Heated rear seats
LED projector headlamps

I have parts lists and cost for each of these as well in an excel sheet on my desktop that I’ll include later.

Current “mods” as of now are cup holder lights, media bin lights, glove box light, husky rear wheel well liners

Currently purchased parts are the SCCM for the heated steering wheel, power tilt telescope wheel, and rain sensing wipers.

I also have the new HVAC module coming with the heated steering wheel button. It’s from a 21 so it also has the digital temp readout.

Let me know if I have missed anything for the 501->502 conversion and if anyone has parts for sale, that would be great too. This will be a slow-ish build as I have a wife and two kids that play sports and I have my own hobby that takes A LOT of my time.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Looking at steering wheels I was looking at PN ML3Z-3600-RA. It says without active steering… my truck has lane keep/lane centering, is that the same thing?

EDIT: got the answer I needed, this is the correct steering wheel.

Ford F-150 501A to 502A 28A08E09-5C6F-473C-8960-7899DB15F030

Last edited:
OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Here is the parts list I have currently, if anyone has suggestions for missing items, OR cheaper parts, please let me know. I intend to use ALL OEM parts with the exception of things like the bi-LED to LED conversion harness from Precision Retrofits

Ford F-150 501A to 502A 1665574525749

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Just picked up a used, but completely undamaged, no-repair driver's headlamp off of eBay for $550, which is a steal since most undamaged headlamps are easily 750+. Driver's headlamps are also harder to come by than passenger headlamps for some reason

MHarvey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport 501A
Occupation
Firefighter
I’m hoping to hear that the headlights work out. I’ve got a 501a and am very happy with it but would like to have the projector lights. There was a thread on here from awhile back where someone did the upgrade and it was a nightmare. I believe the username was Jesseinfotainment or something similar. He said the projectors use level sensors at the front and rear of the truck which made the light swap extremely difficult. Will you be making the changes in Forscan to enable the extra options or having it done by someone? I believe that also has to be done by what I’ve been reading. Looks like I’m going to have to check out Precision Retrofits website as well since it’s been awhile since I looked.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I’m hoping to hear that the headlights work out. I’ve got a 501a and am very happy with it but would like to have the projector lights. There was a thread on here from awhile back where someone did the upgrade and it was a nightmare. I believe the username was Jesseinfotainment or something similar. He said the projectors use level sensors at the front and rear of the truck which made the light swap extremely difficult.
It's funny you mention that because I was just reading through that... sounds complicated, but I'll see if I can tackle it. I guess static headlights aren't too bad of a conversion with a proper conversion harness, but the dynamic bending and glare free seems to be a bit more complicated

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Keep in mind that behind lots of this tech is *software*. And you may have some interesting challenges getting the correct software modules to download given that Ford won't know the actual configuration of your truck (vs it's as-built configuration).

MHarvey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport 501A
Occupation
Firefighter
He definitely made it sound like a pretty tough task. I have built all kinds of vehicles over the years but all of these modules and controllers are definitely over my head. Keep us posted!

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Up to about $1740 in total cost as of right now (including shipping and taxes). I can retrofit the heated steering wheel, the rain sensing wipers, and heated rear seats with the parts purchased. I still need the Powered steering column (any help on PN would be greatly appreciated!) and then the rest of the parts for the LED projectors. MOST of the stuff I bought from Varsity ford, as they seem the have the lowest prices on OEM parts (FordOEMPartsOnline was about $25 cheaper for the parts, but I saved about $30 going with Varsity Ford after shipping and taxes)

EDIT: everything in green is purchased

Ford F-150 501A to 502A 1665746418876

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Well I'm an idiot, I didn't notice that my truck already has rain sensing wipers 🤦‍♂️

It appeared to me based off of the B&P that it only came on 502A and up. My fault for not doing the full research

There's nothing on my window sticker that would've suggested I had it either. I only found out by finding it in the truck.

Is there any way to access a FULL build sheet? Or does that cost money?

Last edited:

Sponsored

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
Well I'm an idiot, I didn't notice that my truck already has rain sensing wipers 🤦‍♂️

It appeared to me based off of the B&P that it only came on 502A and up. My fault for not doing the full research

There's nothing on my window sticker that would've suggested I had it either. I only found out by finding it in the truck.

Is there any way to access a FULL build sheet? Or does that cost money?
I would hope your truck had rain sensing wipers, my 2022 XLT does.

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I would hope your truck had rain sensing wipers, my 2022 XLT does.
I guess I just assumed it didn't because on the B&P, selecting the lariat high supposedly added the rain sensing wipers. Like I said though, that was obviously a poor assumption on my part

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I guess I just assumed it didn't because on the B&P, selecting the lariat high supposedly added the rain sensing wipers. Like I said though, that was obviously a poor assumption on my part
Look on the bright side....that was the cheapest upgrade you were planning on doing so you are only out $65 and you might be able to return the parts. I am looking forward to seeing how you make out with the headlights. I also have a 501A Lariat and want to upgrade to OEM projector headlights but after reading the amount of work and parts it takes, if I do it I will most not have them bend. Good luck.

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Look on the bright side....that was the cheapest upgrade you were planning on doing so you are only out $65 and you might be able to return the parts. I am looking forward to seeing how you make out with the headlights. I also have a 501A Lariat and want to upgrade to OEM projector headlights but after reading the amount of work and parts it takes, if I do it I will most not have them bend. Good luck.
Well I called the place I bought it from (they emailed me back) and it hadn’t shipped yet so I’m hoping they can just pull it with no issue.

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Updated list of all items purchased. I removed the rain sensing wiper equipment as I didn't realize my truck already had it. The pigtail for the rear heated seats is on national back order with no return to stock date... so I have no idea when I will be able to install the rear heated seats. Luckily both of my kids are still in car seats, so there is no immediate need for them anyways.

All of the Varsity Ford items should be here today, which means I can get to the heated steering wheel soon. I have found some pretty good deals on headlamps, but I have already dropped around $2000 on this truck in the last week, so I am biding my time for now on spending another $1000 (for the other headlamp, conversion harness, and HCM).

Any leads on the MU2Z-14S411-SA pigtail and possibly a used powered steering column would be excellent (the powered steering column is not worth $600 to me).

Ford F-150 501A to 502A 1666366966991

Ford F-150 501A to 502A 1666366883191
Sponsored