5.0 vs PB runs

Yason84

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XLT, 2012 Buick Verano
I gave a co-worker a walkthrough of my truck recently and there are little things about the PB I just take for granted now but jumped out at him as "Wow, this is a lot of truck for the money" moments. For instance, he noted the front cabin 120VAC convenience outlet is 20A and just shook his head. It's like that...everywhere you look.
Is that 20A outlet only available on the PB? Or can any truck with PPO have it?
Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Just need to get that boost building and 1g of pull is crazy huh?
Yes! I wasn't racing or showing off so at the line I wasn't in a hurry. I thought I had the boost going when the light turned green, but it had only just started moving off zero. I stayed there for a breath at half throttle and the boost shot up. I then floored it and let loose of the brake pedal with 4H and E-lock on, traction fully off. The truck leaped forward like a bull out of the shoot and rocketed away like a missile! I came off the gas, pushed the 2H button then E-lock off, and coasted down to the next light. I switched back to normal mode, smiled a bit, and my pulse was still racing as the other cars eventually pulled up beside me again lol. I never looked up or around and just casually finished the drive home. :cool:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Guys, this thread was about showcasing the 5.0 and its performance against significantly more expensive powertrain options.
The thread is titled 5.0 vs PB runs!
It is fun to banter back and forth though, and I enjoy how knowledgeable you are regarding your truck and that wonderful V8.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Is that 20A outlet only available on the PB? Or can any truck with PPO have it?
I believe the 20A outlet is only available with the PowerBoost and either the 2.4kW standard PPoB or the optional 7.2kW. For reference, (120V x 20A) = 2.4kW of power. I think the non-PowerBoost PPoB is limited to 2kW and is a completely different design. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

ks54703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22,XLT,302a,2.7EB,19Escape,87 GLHS 79 Magnun GT
Occupation
Retired IBEW Local 14 inside wireman
Yawn. Did the 501A PB win yet or are we still in your Achilles heel dream scenario? Seriously, how many times do we have to see a PB win before we move on already?
Did you read or just yawn through the post. The race is not over until the trucks turn right around line up and go for the starting line. No time for the PB to go behind a current bush for say 5-15 minutes to recharge it's e-go.

Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Did you read or just yawn through the post. The race is not over until the trucks turn right around line up and go for the starting line. No time for the PB to go behind a current bush for say 5-15 minutes to recharge it's e-go.
It "charges" in about 90-120 seconds FYI.

ks54703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22,XLT,302a,2.7EB,19Escape,87 GLHS 79 Magnun GT
Occupation
Retired IBEW Local 14 inside wireman
It "charges" in about 90-120 seconds FYI.
That's a cool battery running under optimal conditions, once the battery goes over optimal operating temperature it reduces the rate of recharge to save and maintain battery life. The PB is running for it's life to stay ahead of a 5.0 with 3.73 gearing.

The race the internet needs to see is a back to back race with temps in the trucks.

You missed that a 21 302a PB was owned and driven for over a year in all conditions from deathly below zero weather to sweltering hot over 100 degree weather. Did it survive yes it did, did it preform as expected outside it's boasted normal operating conditions on what it could do NO.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
That's a cool battery running under optimal conditions, once the battery goes over optimal operating temperature it reduces the rate of recharge to save and maintain battery life. The PB is running for it's life to stay ahead of a 5.0 with 3.73 gearing.

The race the internet needs to see is a back to back race with temps in the trucks.

You missed that a 21 302a PB was owned and driven for over a year in all conditions from deathly below zero weather to sweltering hot over 100 degree weather. Did it survive yes it did, did it preform as expected outside it's boasted normal operating conditions on what it could do NO.
I'd just slap a blower on the 5.0 and call it a day if I wanted max performance anyway. But at least the guy with the PB could host the post-race tailgate!

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
5.0 trying to win by going back to back and praying for a blizzard :ROFLMAO:

The 1.5kW HVB only uses about 60% of it's capacity, but unfortunately for the 5.0 that's still enough for over a minute of max power out of the traction motor. More than enough power to show off the PB's pretty tail lights twice in a row with a little regen thrown in for good measure.

Yawn :D

Yason84

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know this is a 5.0 vs PB drag race thread, but at the end of the day, unless you’re under the age of 30, who really gives a schiff…. As long as I can merge and pass with confidence carrying a full load uphill, and get ~20 mpg going 75+, I’m happy as pig in the mud.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I will say this, the 2025 Rams with that 540 HP 3.0 Hurricane are going to leave us all in the dust. The only Ford that will beat the hurricane is the Raptor R. I am still curious how Ford tackles that. The 3.5 isn’t built for those boost levels (26 psi sustained). Looking at the head bolt pattern on that 3.0, those heads are tougher than any 3.5, 5.0, or 2.7 Ford at the deck. That’s the one limitation with the Ford platform (for all 3 of our engines), turn up too much pressure in the cylinders and the head studs start stretching. A Ram engineer said most of the competitors would warp heads running the boost the Hurricane can run. I think Ford has a good motor family running though, they can also just add E-power to any and all of them if they want. The Mustang DH is all ready at 500 HP, if they could add a lightweight hybrid setup to the 5.0 HO they could pretty easily outperform the Hurricane (which is a long setup to add a series hybrid onto, so a Dodge hybrid to compete is doubtful) inline 6 makes that a challenge for Ram. Interesting choice. Still, a powerful setup.

Yason84

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I will say this, the 2025 Rams with that 540 HP 3.0 Hurricane are going to leave us all in the dust. The only Ford that will beat the hurricane is the Raptor R. I am still curious how Ford tackles that. The 3.5 isn’t built for those boost levels (26 psi sustained). Looking at the head bolt pattern on that 3.0, those heads are tougher than any 3.5, 5.0, or 2.7 Ford at the deck. That’s the one limitation with the Ford platform (for all 3 of our engines), turn up too much pressure in the cylinders and the head studs start stretching. A Ram engineer said most of the competitors would warp heads running the boost the Hurricane can run. I think Ford has a good motor family running though, they can also just add E-power to any and all of them if they want. The Mustang DH is all ready at 500 HP, if they could add a lightweight hybrid setup to the 5.0 HO they could pretty easily outperform the Hurricane (which is a long setup to add a series hybrid onto, so a Dodge hybrid to compete is doubtful)
Well the thing is, the 540 hp Hurricane is not gonna be available in your typical run of the mill Ram 1500. From what I’m understanding at this point in time, is that’s the new TRX engine. The lesser Hurricanes are supposed to make 410 hp and something like 460 tq, give or take, which is still less than the standard 3.5EB.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Well the thing is, the 540 hp Hurricane is not gonna be available in your typical run of the mill Ram 1500. From what I’m understanding at this point in time, is that’s the new TRX engine. The lesser Hurricanes are supposed to make 410 hp and something like 460 tq, give or take, which is still less than the standard 3.5EB.
Actually, the 540 HP is optional from Rebel trim up and standard on Limited trims. It will be quite commonplace. The TRX is an even higher output version nearing 650 HP (still a major downgrade from the 6.2 Hellcat though). I don’t think Stellantis quite gets the American market, they are really going to struggle in the muscle car and super truck category with no V8 offering but they will find that out soon enough when Mustang eats Chargers lunch on sales…I think the Hurricane is still a great motor though, I-6 with forged rods and beefy main bearings. She will hold some power.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I will say this, the 2025 Rams with that 540 HP 3.0 Hurricane are going to leave us all in the dust. The only Ford that will beat the hurricane is the Raptor R. I am still curious how Ford tackles that. The 3.5 isn’t built for those boost levels (26 psi sustained). Looking at the head bolt pattern on that 3.0, those heads are tougher than any 3.5, 5.0, or 2.7 Ford at the deck. That’s the one limitation with the Ford platform (for all 3 of our engines), turn up too much pressure in the cylinders and the head studs start stretching. A Ram engineer said most of the competitors would warp heads running the boost the Hurricane can run. I think Ford has a good motor family running though, they can also just add E-power to any and all of them if they want. The Mustang DH is all ready at 500 HP, if they could add a lightweight hybrid setup to the 5.0 HO they could pretty easily outperform the Hurricane (which is a long setup to add a series hybrid onto, so a Dodge hybrid to compete is doubtful) inline 6 makes that a challenge for Ram. Interesting choice. Still, a powerful setup.
That is a lot of power and heat for a little 3.0L to dissipate. Hopefully it has a good cooling system design.

edit: Nice post 👍

Yason84

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Actually, the 540 HP is optional from Rebel trim up and standard on Limited trims. It will be quite commonplace. The TRX is an even higher output version nearing 650 HP (still a major downgrade from the 6.2 Hellcat though). I don’t think Stellantis quite gets the American market, they are really going to struggle in the muscle car and super truck category with no V8 offering but they will find that out soon enough when Mustang eats Chargers lunch on sales…I think the Hurricane is still a great motor though, I-6 with forged rods and beefy main bearings. She will hold some power.
You’re kidding! We are now entering an age where anything less than 500 hp is scoffed at. That is crazy!
Sponsored