5.0 - Oil Leak from the engine block -- TSB 23-2194

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
I haven’t even seen or heard of this leak, I doubt it affects many engines at all. Unless you have oil drops all over your driveway I wouldn’t get your panties in a bunch. It would be leaking from day 1 since what they describe in this TSB would have been a poorly machined mounting surface. This kind of leak starts on day 1, not over time.
Its a block porosity problem. That starts on day 1?

OP
OP
robry

robry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0
I had a hell of a time trying to look at it. I'm going to have to take the front skid plate off and try to look better, unfortunately after weeks without rain it's raining cats and dogs outside right now lol so it's gonna have to wait

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I have an 11/22 build, its been cross country three times. to the Southwest hot temps, cold temps in Flagstaff AZ and hot again in southern Florida. 10,500 miles of hard driving in six months and NO drips, runs or leaks so far.

Sponsored

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
I'm confused. If Its a block porosity problem, and the leak starts early or "day 1", then would these issues not have been caught before the vehicle left the factory?

If It is something that surfaces over time, then we might have potential issues creep up later.

SOOOOOOO, When does the issue arise? Early or over time? I'm reading two different stories.

OP
OP
robry

robry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0
I'm confused. If Its a block porosity problem, and the leak starts early or "day 1", then would these issues not have been caught before the vehicle left the factory?

If It is something that surfaces over time, then we might have potential issues creep up later.

SOOOOOOO, When does the issue arise? Early or over time? I'm reading two different stories.
Maybe heat cycling opens up that gap? I assume there is no gasket between the oil housing and the block, it's just machined fit? or maybe o-ringed?

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
Maybe heat cycling opens up that gap? I assume there is no gasket between the oil housing and the block, it's just machined fit? or maybe o-ringed?
those are very good questions.

I haven't had this truck but a week, and now this............. Should I have kept my 23 Ram (its got its own issues).

OP
OP
robry

robry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0
those are very good questions.

I haven't had this truck but a week, and now this............. Should I have kept my 23 Ram (its got its own issues).
I dunno, I'm not upset yet. I think it's good ford is offering a warranty repair/acknowledgment. Hopefully this isn't hugely widespread.

Sponsored

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
This makes more sense. It was a flaw from the start (day 1), and no way to correct is (except a block replacement).

But evidently, its something that creeps up over time, not right away.

Porous engine block
Caused by contaminants which got into the metal during the manufacturing process, voids in the casting often cause no issues at all for a long time. Eventually a poorly cast block can start to seep and leak, either oil or coolant, from the area where the imperfections are. There's nothing you can do about a porous engine block, because it'll have been faulty from the day it was molded. Having said that, any leaks that may arise from a porous block should be minor and if they surface within the manufacturer's warranty period the engine should be replaced free of charge.

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
I dunno, I'm not upset yet. I think it's good ford is offering a warranty repair/acknowledgment. Hopefully this isn't hugely widespread.
Well, they did identify the "timeframes" of manufacture that could be affected, AND the area that might have issues.

OP
OP
robry

robry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0
Well, they did identify the "timeframes" of manufacture that could be affected, AND the area that might have issues.
Yes but does that mean EVERY engine is bad in that timeframe, or it could be affected? I think it's the latter in this case.

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
Yes but does that mean EVERY engine is bad in that timeframe, or it could be affected? I think it's the latter in this case.
Well, being as they identified a range of dates, I'd say all the blocks during that time frame were probably made in the same plant, and somehow the imperfection in the manufacturing process was identified to those dates.

OP
OP
robry

robry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0
Well, being as they identified a range of dates, I'd say all the blocks during that time frame were probably made in the same plant, and somehow the imperfection in the manufacturing process was identified to those dates.
yes either a QA process was skipped or some other detail in the casting process was missed or not considered, so that's probably whats up with the range where something could happen. Guess we'll have to see over the course of time. I'll be buying a factory ESP before my b2b ends. Even if I never have the issue.
Sponsored