Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Hey guys,
Has anyone ever heard of putting an oil separator on the 5.0? I know they are beneficial on any turbo engine but wasn’t aware of a benefit for the 5.0. I posted the link below to get your opinion. These guys make some good videos on the F150.

Sponsored

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
For the cost of an oil seperator, will be installing one. If anything, it doesn't hurt to have one !

Jumper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xl
I think it's worth it!
I have one on my 2021 5.0 and average about 2.5oz every 5k miles, that's a lot of oil/junk that would be going back into my intake manifold.
I have the JLT 3.0

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Not planning to, main issue with oil vapor in pvc system is valve buildup on engines that don’t have fuel injectors ahead of the valves. The coyote does so should be fine without it.

If after a hundred thousand miles I notice buildup collecting, might get it cleaned and add one then.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I think the 5.0 has it built in. It separates a little oil here and there into to the cylinders and then out the exhaust pipe. lol. JK . I’m just mad my 3.5 sounds worse than my Volvo.

ColemanFord

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Purchasing Manager
Does the Ford dealer care? Does it screw with the warranty?

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
Not planning to, main issue with oil vapor in pvc system is valve buildup on engines that don’t have fuel injectors ahead of the valves. The coyote does so should be fine without it.

If after a hundred thousand miles I notice buildup collecting, might get it cleaned and add one then.
I agree . This is why it's not that important.
Since Ford added both Direct Injection and Port Injection to the engine, it eliminated any issues of blow back building up on the valves. I did notice on my Direct Injection only LT1 that it would benefit from an oil separator so I added one and it did collect enough oil over time to justify it.

Kinoso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Does the Ford dealer care? Does it screw with the warranty?
Apparently most dealers do care. I’ve read that people have been red flagged in the system for as little as a catch can. Just take if it off if you ever have to go in. Most are really easy to install and remove.

Sponsored

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
Red flagged for a catch can? Really? Flagged for what? I mean do they flag you for a CAI? Or putting mud tires on the stock rims? Flagged for tint? I mean really common.

I would hope anyone who installs a AOS or catch can would have enough common sense to remove it before flat-bedding the truck to a dealer after engine failure. Dealers are independent businesses, they don't care. They only want to get paid for warranty service. Ford makes the decision on engine failure coverage.

Also, regardless if it's 100% DI or not, running a catch can or OAS is worth it, IMO.

Last edited:

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Care to elaborate on that for those of us who are not familiar with this (port injectors, etc)?

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Apparently most dealers do care. I’ve read that people have been red flagged in the system for as little as a catch can. Just take if it off if you ever have to go in. Most are really easy to install and remove.
[/QUOte
Red flagged for a catch can? Really? Flagged for what? I mean do they flag you for a CAI? Or putting mud tires on the stock rims? Flagged for tint? I mean really common.

I would hope anyone who installs a AOS or catch can would have enough common sense to remove it before flat-bedding the truck to a dealer after engine failure. Dealers are independent businesses, they don't care. They only want to get paid for warranty service. Ford makes the decision on engine failure coverage.

Also, regardless if it's 100% DI or not, running a catch can or OAS is worth it, IMO.
The 1975 Magnusson-Moss Act puts the burden on dealers to prove that a vehicle fault under warranty was caused by the specific after market part or modification. That is federal law. Some dealers might play ignorant but this is industry-wide knowledge for 46 years. I have a J&L catch can on my 3.5L Eco boost and it works. No worries.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Care to elaborate on that for those of us who are not familiar with this (port injectors, etc)?
Basically Port injection sprays fuel into the intake ports, where it mixes with the incoming air. With direct injection, the injectors are in the cylinder head and spray fuel directly into the combustion chamber, mixing with the air charge.
Ford F-150 Oil Separator for 5.0? 1640651250785

What people noticed on direct injection vehicle is that it was getting a lot of carbon build up on top of the intake valves. Since there was no more fuel going through there, the fuel detergents, cleaners, additives weren't able to clean the valves.
Ford F-150 Oil Separator for 5.0? 1640651730535

What Ford did was add direct AND port injection now to counter all the build up on the valves so occasionally it'll switch to port injection and hopefully the fuel can clean the valves. Even though port injection helps counter carbon build up, I still think its better to not have any build up in the first place. That's where catch cans come in by helping to avoid oil vapor from being able to build up on the valves in the first place.
Ford F-150 Oil Separator for 5.0? 1640652101443
Sponsored