First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
Getting ready to get a new F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost. Looking to put a 4" or 6" BDS lift on it as soon as I get it with some 35's. Couple of questions for you all.

1 - I've had some people tell me that a 6" lift will make the truck less stable at 80+ mph (Obviously the roll-over capability is higher) but will it drive poorly at high speeds? Will have 35's on 20 inch rims.

2 - Same people told me at 6" you start getting into potential transmission issues due to the angles of the driveshaft and other things. Any truth to this?

3 - My wife is 5'3" and my daughter is 5'5". How hard will it be to use the standard Ford power running boards to get in? I'm 6'2" so I'm not worried but my wife will probably not like it if its a serious climb even with power deployable running boards.

4 - I'm in San Diego area. Anyone know a good, reliable lift installation place?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Getting ready to get a new F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost. Looking to put a 4" or 6" BDS lift on it as soon as I get it with some 35's. Couple of questions for you all.

1 - I've had some people tell me that a 6" lift will make the truck less stable at 80+ mph (Obviously the roll-over capability is higher) but will it drive poorly at high speeds? Will have 35's on 20 inch rims.

2 - Same people told me at 6" you start getting into potential transmission issues due to the angles of the driveshaft and other things. Any truth to this?

3 - My wife is 5'3" and my daughter is 5'5". How hard will it be to use the standard Ford power running boards to get in? I'm 6'2" so I'm not worried but my wife will probably not like it if its a serious climb even with power deployable running boards.

4 - I'm in San Diego area. Anyone know a good, reliable lift installation place?

Thanks for any help!
I read that you want to lift as much as you need and not a millimeter more. With a 6” lift and 35” tires, you’d be looking at a truck that’s around 10” higher than stock. That’s a pretty tall truck!

If 35” tires is the goal, I think you could get away with a 4” lift. There’s a member on here who got a 2.5” leveling kit and put 35” tires on with 0 rub. If I were to go the lift route, I’d want to lift the truck as small as possible to fit what I want, and not any more. But I’m not into the whole show truck thing.

Hope it helps!

Here’s the link to that guy with the 2.5” leveling kit and 35” tires.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...5s-installed-on-my-2021-f-150.947/#post-12057

OP
OP
xXChartmanXx

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
I read that you want to lift as much as you need and not a millimeter more. With a 6” lift and 35” tires, you’d be looking at a truck that’s around 10” higher than stock. That’s a pretty tall truck!

If 35” tires is the goal, I think you could get away with a 4” lift. There’s a member on here who got a 2.5” leveling kit and put 35” tires on with 0 rub. If I were to go the lift route, I’d want to lift the truck as small as possible to fit what I want, and not any more. But I’m not into the whole show truck thing.

Hope it helps!

Here’s the link to that guy with the 2.5” leveling kit and 35” tires.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2-25”-readylift-leveling-kit-with-35s-installed-on-my-2021-f-150.947/#post-12057
Definitely looking to fit 35x12.5 tires on 20x9 rims which the BDS site says is the max for the 4" lift while the 6" supports up to 37". Thinking the 6" may be too high but really love the aggressive look. Honestly, just finished driving dad wagons for the past 20 years. My kids are in college or almost there and I'm ready to drive a truck again with some height and big wheels. Doing a little camping and maybe some desert\sand fun but 90% will be on the road.

Bills

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 ordered, 2019 JLUR Rubicon
So here is a question for you chartman.... (cause I’m trying to answer it myself).

I really like the look on that 4” lift, but I got the power boost for a little better gas mileage and a smooth ride. I have a Jeep for the mud play at this point. But I like the look of the 21 lifted much better than stock.

if I do lift it and go 35” did I waste the power boost upgrade? Mileage will go down pretty significantly, so if that is the plan would it be better to just go with the EB motor? I have my new truck and really like it, but it would look better on that 4” BDS.

OP
OP
xXChartmanXx

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
So here is a question for you chartman.... (cause I’m trying to answer it myself).

I really like the look on that 4” lift, but I got the power boost for a little better gas mileage and a smooth ride. I have a Jeep for the mud play at this point. But I like the look of the 21 lifted much better than stock.

if I do lift it and go 35” did I waste the power boost upgrade? Mileage will go down pretty significantly, so if that is the plan would it be better to just go with the EB motor? I have my new truck and really like it, but it would look better on that 4” BDS.
You will definitely lose some MPG to the lift and larger tires. 24/24 will probably go down to 20/20 or so which is still really good for a 1/2 ton truck. But If I got the standard 3.5 or the Coyote V8, lifting it would cause the same MPG loss, we're just starting from a higher point.

Sponsored

Bills

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 ordered, 2019 JLUR Rubicon
You will definitely lose some MPG to the lift and larger tires. 24/24 will probably go down to 20/20 or so which is still really good for a 1/2 ton truck. But If I got the standard 3.5 or the Coyote V8, lifting it would cause the same MPG loss, we're just starting from a higher point.
yeah I just think the electric motor would never get used, I have been seeing what I can do a little and that electric motor seems to like the really slow starts, and coasting into it during deceleration.
You may be exactly right on the mileage, I could see that electric motor use go down to almost nothing. Similar to my 8 speed Jeep, where my 37’s have almost eliminated the 8th gear. (Yeah I could re-gear it, but likely won’t).

I really like my new power boost, not trying to sway anyone, just saying if I had ordered a standard eco boost, I’d likely have a lift ordered already...?

OP
OP
xXChartmanXx

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
yeah I just think the electric motor would never get used, I have been seeing what I can do a little and that electric motor seems to like the really slow starts, and coasting into it during deceleration.
You may be exactly right on the mileage, I could see that electric motor use go down to almost nothing. Similar to my 8 speed Jeep, where my 37’s have almost eliminated the 8th gear. (Yeah I could re-gear it, but likely won’t).

I really like my new power boost, not trying to sway anyone, just saying if I had ordered a standard eco boost, I’d likely have a lift ordered already...?
I hear you. Playing the "What MPG can I get it to on this trip" game is going to be fun.

Bugzuki

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 PowerBoost Super Crew 4x4
You could just think of it as getting 430 hp with the PowerBoost instead of the 386 hp of the ecoboost.

I have the powerboost with the 3 inch Rough Country lift. I have 33 inch tires but the wheels are offset out so they rub in reverse at full lock.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
A quick skim through the replies so far and I didn't see this mentioned. But if you go with a 6" lift, I recall that requires cutting, and no going back. At least on the 6" kits that were available earlier...

Just another thing to keep in mind.

BigShan808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX FX4 2.7 EB SCrew
So what did you end up going with? I pulled trigger and went with a RC 6" N3 coilover/V2 strut lift kit. 3 adulting children (youngest of the 3 a Soph in college) and the last in 8th grade. Had to satisfy the mid-life crisis craze and knock off a childhood bucket-list item. Rides the same as the RC 2" level with same N3 co's/V2 struts I previously had. Rolling on 35x12.5r20 Delinte DX-9 Bandit M/Ts wrapped on 20x10 -12 ForceOffRoad F01s. Do I have aforementioned concerns, of course (not as extensive as yours since I have a FX4 STX) but nothing beats the joy I get riding around on the daily in this beast!
Sponsored