4.2.4 Sync crashes and audio issues

OP
OP

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
I may have found a solution to this issue. I disconnected carplay from the sync screen. Deleted my truck from my phone's bluetooth. Factory reset my sync 4. Re-added my phone and carplay (along with everything else I had to reset) and so far no more freezing when going in reverse. I took two, 2 hour trips yesterday without any issues.
Interesting. Give us a heads-up if it continues to work after a few days.
Sponsored

Random155

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Interesting. Give us a heads-up if it continues to work after a few days.
2 more 1.5 hour trips, both ended in a reverse and the transition to back up camera has been smooth, no freezes or static noise.

BWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150XLT BAP
Tomorrow will be the second time I take my 23 PB F150 in to the dealer for this issue. Sync always freezes with a loud buzzing when putting forward facing camera on or reverse camera.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I may have found a solution to this issue. I disconnected carplay from the sync screen. Deleted my truck from my phone's bluetooth. Factory reset my sync 4. Re-added my phone and carplay (along with everything else I had to reset) and so far no more freezing when going in reverse. I took two, 2 hour trips yesterday without any issues.
I'll give this a shot as my truck has this issue everytime I drive it no matter how long or short the trip is.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Raptor, 1970 El Camino
I’m on 4.2.2.2 and had the same issues. I set the Display from Auto Light/Dark mode to just Dark mode 24/7 (saw it mentioned somewhere else) and have not had any issues since. Been extremely smooth after that.

Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll give this a shot as my truck has this issue everytime I drive it no matter how long or short the trip is.
Reset Sync4 and removed the truck from my phone this morning. On a very short drive I didn't have any issues. This includes reversing, massage seats on, and having the front camera pop up when I pull into my garage. We'll see how it holds up but hopefully some other people with the issue do this so we can get a a better headcount. I want to say I did these steps back in April when I first saw the issue but I can't remember.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have not experienced a single glitch related to this update. Admittedly I am not using Android Auto very often and I have always been in "Night Mode". (anecdotal admittedly)

OP
OP

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have not experienced a single glitch related to this update. Admittedly I am not using Android Auto very often and I have always been in "Night Mode". (anecdotal admittedly)
So, weirdly, the reset didn’t work, I still had audio glitches…but putting it into night mode seems to have resolved it, at least for the moment. I’ll continue to monitor it.

jesdamian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
My screen freezes always when going in reverse after my latest update. The longer I drive, the longer it will stay frozen when going in reverse. If I drive 2 or more hours, forget about it, sync 4 crashes completely when going in reverse. I've found if you disconnect apple carplay before going in reverse it sometimes will not freeze/crash. Really hoping for an update SOON to fix this.
glad to see I'm not the only one seeing this but definitely not happy with all the issues occurring

OP
OP

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Out of curiosity for folks experiencing this…do you have the rear camera delay on or off?

Sponsored

BWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150XLT BAP
Dealership was able to fix mine with a Sync reset. Only thing they seen was a failed wifi connection on download/update. I would say using the reset steps posted earlier in this thread is worth it before going to the Dealership.

OP
OP

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, it looks like what worked is:
1) A full Sync factory reset, including deleting the vehicle from your phone(s), plus
2) Running in night/dark mode (auto is default), plus
3) Running with rear camera delay OFF (default).

I have not experienced any glitches with this combination so far. A Sync reset alone improved the issue, but I was still getting brief stutters when the camera was manually activated until I added #2-3. I would be curious to hear if anybody isn’t having said issues after a reset without being in dark mode or with the camera delay still on, in case those are coincidental.

The good news is this sounds like a fairly simple bug for Ford to fix, my speculation is that some audio or graphics task is getting bugged out when the camera activates, presumably because the camera display is expecting real time task access (hopefully they have the camera as a very high priority task since um…delays could be dangerous) and something is hanging up. The bad news is Ford’s somewhat haphazard update schedule and poor release notes might make it hard to tell when it’s been fixed.

Ford, if you’re listening, give us an easier way to report bugs (wasn’t one update talking about voice bug reports?), error logging we can actually see on the vehicle so we know when an error is being reported to you via connected services, AND DETAILED RELEASE NOTES. Your “think of this update as the one that opens the door for all the other updates” explanations are useless. Give us release note detailed enough they tell us a specific bug was fixed.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I haven't had any of the Sync issues since Thursday. For some reason Blue Cruise hasn't worked since then so I'm not sure what's going on with that. All of the settings are enabled.

matts11211

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford 150 Lariat Hybrid power boost
I’m having all the same issues AND audio quality and volume significantly worse sense update. Is this the same issue, different? Anyone solved it?
Sponsored