First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5L
Occupation
IT Director
I have a 2021 F150 that just rolled 23k miles and it has a decent leak where the driveshaft goes into the back of the front differential.

Took it to my local Ford Dealership for warranty work and they said “yeah, it is leaking, but not enough that Ford will reimburse us for the work so we won’t repair it unless you want to pay us to repair it”

See attached pictures and quick video.

At what point is it considered a decent leak? It has an active drip after any driving.

Ford F-150 23K Miles - Differential Leaking 2021 F150 IMG_9720

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I had front pinion seal leak fixed under warranty this year. Go to another dealer.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It's quite ironic that you posted this. Since I got my truck, I've had a film on the front sway bar and I could never figure out where it was coming from. When I just changed my oil, the film/buildup was isolated to right under the front diff, just like yours. There's never been an oil spot under my truck, just the film and buildup on everything around that area. I plan on making an appointment with the dealer to get it inspected and repaired along with addressing my recalls.

OP
OP
DJ20k

DJ20k

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5L
Occupation
IT Director
It's quite ironic that you posted this. Since I got my truck, I've had a film on the front sway bar and I could never figure out where it was coming from. When I just changed my oil, the film/buildup was isolated to right under the front diff, just like yours. There's never been an oil spot under my truck, just the film and buildup on everything around that area. I plan on making an appointment with the dealer to get it inspected and repaired along with addressing my recalls.
Yeah, after digging into it it sounds like this is a pretty common thing so they should be able to get it taken care of for you.

Sponsored

CoolCoyote

First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Fusion
Your dealer is full of poop.

They just don't want to deal with it.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Your leak could be much worse...

Ford F-150 23K Miles - Differential Leaking 2021 F150 IMG_0879

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I had my 3 recalls taken care of yesterday and asked them to look at the diff leak as well. They need some additional parts, but here's what's on the ticket for what is needed to fix it.
Ford F-150 23K Miles - Differential Leaking 2021 F150 1000007332

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yikes, that dealer is complete shit. Under warranty I have replaced RH front axle seal, input seal on transfer case, and pinion seal on the rear axle all under warranty all nothing more than a light fluid film (no drips) on my truck...The scary part about that is, that is a lot of seal failures to have prior to 36,000 miles :cautious: I'm current sitting at 35,000 miles so I just about out of my bumper to bumper warranty....not so sure the powertrain warranty will cover such 'small' leaks. So very soon it will all become my problem.

Just sad that at nearly 10x the costs all products made today are shit compared to the quality/reliability of products from the past.

rtf150

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Agate Black 501A FX4 Powerboost
I’m getting mine back this afternoon and supposedly it is fixed. I’ve had the “repair” 3 times now. Last pic that was so bad I thought it was engine oil…it still could be. Service manager not listening. When I get it I’ll be pulling the tire and wheel off and dropping the skid plate and doing a thorough inspect on my own. 3rd time I’ve had it in for this repair.
Ford F-150 23K Miles - Differential Leaking 2021 F150 IMG_8549

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
They said 3-5 days for parts right before Thanksgiving. With a lot going on at work and home, I never got a chance to call and follow up, but they called me last week that parts were in. Maybe they meant 3-5 weeks? Dropped it off this morning and picked it up after work. Now to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't come back, or get worse.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Yikes, that dealer is complete shit. Under warranty I have replaced RH front axle seal, input seal on transfer case, and pinion seal on the rear axle all under warranty all nothing more than a light fluid film (no drips) on my truck...The scary part about that is, that is a lot of seal failures to have prior to 36,000 miles :cautious: I'm current sitting at 35,000 miles so I just about out of my bumper to bumper warranty....not so sure the powertrain warranty will cover such 'small' leaks. So very soon it will all become my problem.

Just sad that at nearly 10x the costs all products made today are shit compared to the quality/reliability of products from the past.
In my experience under powertrain my dealer has been great at fixing leaks that have a drip, but not little filmy leaks. I usually don’t worry about those anyway.

I have had a diff leak in my Oldsmobile since about 1998, gives me an excuse to get out of house chores and top it up. Glass half full boys.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I have a 2021 F150 that just rolled 23k miles and it has a decent leak where the driveshaft goes into the back of the front differential.

Took it to my local Ford Dealership for warranty work and they said “yeah, it is leaking, but not enough that Ford will reimburse us for the work so we won’t repair it unless you want to pay us to repair it”

See attached pictures and quick video.

At what point is it considered a decent leak? It has an active drip after any driving.

IMG_9720.jpeg

Jeeeesus thats a legit leak. Name and shame that dealer and put @fordmotorcompany on notice.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
So, I was waiting to post again, hoping the dealership would address my concern. I picked my truck up Friday, I noticed a slight whirring noise driving home, but nothing major. Drove around Saturday and didn't notice anything odd at all, but with the snow that hit the area, I did do a decent amount of travel in 4A and definitely put it to use in later in the evening. Drive to work Monday morning, and the whirring is almost a whining noise now.

I thought it was maybe a liner that fell or snow rubbing the tires, so I checked when I got to work and nothing. Call the dealer and they agree to look at it. Drive to the dealer, the whirring/whining is still there, and now I notice a knocking sound from ~45-55 mph (± 5). After riding with a technician and then "manager", they agree to give me a loaner and look at it.

No update Tuesday, but given the weather, they may have been prioritizing other vehicles. Call today and they say all is good, no more noise. Whining may just be tires (they are worn, but tire noise doesn't come out of nowhere). I pick it up this evening, and the whining is still there and so is the knocking.

They said the knocking was just something caught in the air dam. I check the air dam tonight and nothing is in there. My thought is that when they replaced the seal, they forgot the gear oil, and with all the 4A action on Saturday, it ran that entire time without lubrication and is now toast. When driving with the manager, I was in the passenger seat, and the knocking wasn't as noticeable, but you could feel it on the passenger side, where I could only really hear it on the driver's side.

I checked the shaft from the transfer case to the front diff tonight as well. There is zero play on the transfer case end, and some play on the front diff side, maybe a 1/16"? Is anyone willing/able to check the input shaft to their front diff to see if there is any movement for me? I want to try and get as much info as I can before I call the dealership back tomorrow. Also, is there a way to check the front diff fluid level without draining it?

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I think I remember recently reading another post here about some play being normal. If it's anything like the rear diff, put it on level ground and open the port, stick a finger in and if you feel fluid just below the port, all is good.
Sponsored