22' F150 tailgate intermittently does not open from key fob

Tmob78

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150, 21 F450
I have a 2022 F150 Lariat FX4 and it has the power tailgate that opens and closes from the key fob. Ever since I took delivery of it in February the tailgate will intermittently not work from the key fob. It seems like it usually happens after you drive the car for 15 minutes or so, park it , lock it and go shopping. Then when you come out to your truck and try to release the tailgate from the key fob, the lights on the truck flash but the tailgate does not open (no sounds made at all). I’ve tried this with both key fobs and I still have the same result. I’ve also tried unlocking the truck with the key fob before I tried to open the tailgate and that didn’t work either. The only thing that seems to make it work is if you remote start the truck first from the fob or you physically open the door on the vehicle first then release the tail gate from the fob. I am 6 trips to the dealer in and they have had the truck for like 17 days in total and still no solution to fix the issue.
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I noticed this past weekend mine doing the same thing. Before I was getting 3 beeps then it not opening. All I get now is the lights flash and nothing. Very frustrating. I never had this problem on my '17. It always just worked (not that I'm asking to go back to my '17).

Nlitend1

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 502 3.5 6.5crew
Occupation
Contractor
Mine always works from button inside. Almost always from fob. It beep most times, not opening, from the tailgate button but always opens on the second push. Ahh electronics.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a 2022 F150 Lariat FX4 and it has the power tailgate that opens and closes from the key fob. Ever since I took delivery of it in February the tailgate will intermittently not work from the key fob. It seems like it usually happens after you drive the car for 15 minutes or so, park it , lock it and go shopping. Then when you come out to your truck and try to release the tailgate from the key fob, the lights on the truck flash but the tailgate does not open (no sounds made at all). I’ve tried this with both key fobs and I still have the same result. I’ve also tried unlocking the truck with the key fob before I tried to open the tailgate and that didn’t work either. The only thing that seems to make it work is if you remote start the truck first from the fob or you physically open the door on the vehicle first then release the tail gate from the fob. I am 6 trips to the dealer in and they have had the truck for like 17 days in total and still no solution to fix the issue.
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Not in 1 million years will a dealership have my truck for something like this unless they already could tell me they have a solution, which in turn would result in a 1 day procedure.

This forum is a superior source of information for things of this nature. Eventually someone will figure it out, share the result, and then you would know whether or not you even need a visit to the dealership and if so, you could tell them exactly what the truck needs.

I guess what I'm really saying is that leaving my truck with the dealer service department is a billion more times inconvenience than that tailgate ever will be. :)

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Not in 1 million years will a dealership have my truck for something like this unless they already could tell me they have a solution, which in turn would result in a 1 day procedure.

This forum is a superior source of information for things of this nature. Eventually someone will figure it out, share the result, and then you would know whether or not you even need a visit to the dealership and if so, you could tell them exactly what the truck needs.

I guess what I'm really saying is that leaving my truck with the dealer service department is a billion more times inconvenience than that tailgate ever will be. :)
I generally agree, but I have to take mine in for the camera recalibration and I think at least one recall, so might as well have them look. I also have a pretty trustworthy dealership I work with.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Mine too. It often times don't respond by pushing to button either, and when open and i lift it, it often times wont close by itself either and i have to close it myself. Seems like the module/s are going into deep sleep and cant wake up. Have not mentioned to dealer about this, since I'm in a waiting place for a new updated APIM, which hopefully solves all of my software issues once it gets here from it's undetermined arrival date.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Mine will frequently just beep 3 times when I try to open it or close it but if I then push the key fob button a second time, it will function properly. I interpret it as the tailgate sensor perceiving something in the way on the first try. No solution but I also will not take my truck in for so minor an inconvenience. Experience has taught me that if there is no error code and no TSB or recall, my dealer isn't going to be able to fix it. They do no troubleshooting if they won't be reimbursed for it.

OP
OP

Tmob78

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150, 21 F450
It is very frustrating. Im on my

Forums are also a great source for pointless, dumb comments like this from someone who thinks they know better.....

So how do you think the people who got their trucks fixed have gotten to that point so they can share the information with others on the forum?? They kept taking the truck back until they fixed it..

Also you might want to realize not everyone uses their trucks like you do. I use this feature everyday and have been in everyone of the 6 Fords I've had since 2017, so it is extremely annoying.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Didn't mean to offend.
Was actually regretting the frustration you must experience returning multiple times to a dealership and not benefitting.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I’m not sure if this is the—or even a— remedy for the issues in this thread, but Ford continues to release information relating to problems/idiosyncrasies with the power tailgate. SSM 50880 is the most recent. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214837-0001.pdf. It appears to be an ongoing struggle.

OP
OP

Tmob78

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150, 21 F450
So my problem has a new symptom. This morning neither of my key fobs would not work at all with the truck. No matter what button you pressed on either of the key fobs, there would be zero reaction from the truck at all. I was only able to get the truck to unlock after pulling on the drivers door handle like 20 times until it finally unlocked (while having the key fob in my pocket) It was almost like the truck was in a deep sleep mode. After the truck unlocked, everything worked normally. The other odd thing I noticed was when I locked the truck last night, you heard a bunch of actuators or something under the truck click on and off really quick....

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So my problem has a new symptom. This morning neither of my key fobs would not work at all with the truck. No matter what button you pressed on either of the key fobs, there would be zero reaction from the truck at all. I was only able to get the truck to unlock after pulling on the drivers door handle like 20 times until it finally unlocked (while having the key fob in my pocket) It was almost like the truck was in a deep sleep mode. After the truck unlocked, everything worked normally. The other odd thing I noticed was when I locked the truck last night, you heard a bunch of actuators or something under the truck click on and off really quick....
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

OP
OP

Tmob78

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150, 21 F450
I actually sent you a private message yesterday reguarding this. I currently have a open case with Ford customer service.
Sponsored