First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Screw 3.5EB max tow
Occupation
Tech
What would account for the following: this morning’s 10 mile drive to trailhead, pedal has the faint constant vibration but little to no pulsating / grinding. Drive home on same stretch, it’s present. If it’s driveshaft, pinion angles, or differentials, is it possible to be hit or miss and what would account for that? Fluids warmed up? Road condition jostling things around?

When corporate follows up, I’m going to request that they use computerized vibration detection equipment. It’s ridiculous to rely on human perception — this is really verifiable. I’m literally banking on this, I can’t keep the truck long term with the pedal pulsing. Hoping for a positive outcome.
IMG_0184.jpeg
My issues were concentrated on the gas pedal and the arm rest. I think my whole problem is pinion related because this driveshaft tested good last week. I still have the same vibration though not as strong. I played around after watching a bunch of videos and took measurements and shimmed the rear axle and everything improved around 90% of vibrations are gone. I just spoke with the dealer this morning. I told him that the driveshaft has tested good and I did a temporary shim and it greatly improved. The are scheduling me to have the truck checked. But the first words out of his mouth were pinion angles are hard to check.
I would check with your dealer to see if they even have the Ford vibration analyzer. My dealer does have the tool and it takes a few tries to locate the source of the vibrations. A tech drove my truck home several times to presumably move the sensors around and gather some data. Apparently the sensors help detect location and frequency.
Sponsored

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
My issues were concentrated on the gas pedal and the arm rest. I think my whole problem is pinion related because this driveshaft tested good last week. I still have the same vibration though not as strong. I played around after watching a bunch of videos and took measurements and shimmed the rear axle and everything improved around 90% of vibrations are gone. I just spoke with the dealer this morning. I told him that the driveshaft has tested good and I did a temporary shim and it greatly improved. The are scheduling me to have the truck checked. But the first words out of his mouth were pinion angles are hard to check.
I would check with your dealer to see if they even have the Ford vibration analyzer. My dealer does have the tool and it takes a few tries to locate the source of the vibrations. A tech drove my truck home several times to presumably move the sensors around and gather some data. Apparently the sensors help detect location and frequency.
The engineers know what this is and how fix it just based on the description. I’m sure that they have extensive service data indicating the problem and resolution. I’m still waiting to hear back re my recent email to Truck Team rep, and I’m hoping for a slam dunk solution.

I’m growing very impatient and I’m really unhappy every time I drive the truck. Folks, imagine a vibrating phone or hair clipper strapped to your foot every time you drive (and this is with the padding I placed).

I want to give them another opportunity to address it, but I’m also going to test drive other trucks later this week.

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
The engineers know what this is and how fix it just based on the description. I’m sure that they have extensive service data indicating the problem and resolution. I’m still waiting to hear back re my recent email to Truck Team rep, and I’m hoping for a slam dunk solution.

I’m growing very impatient and I’m really unhappy every time I drive the truck. Folks, imagine a vibrating phone or hair clipper strapped to your foot every time you drive (and this is with the padding I placed).

I want to give them another opportunity to address it, but I’m also going to test drive other trucks later this week.
I’m not there yet and it sounds like your vibration is worse than mine. Please let us know you you get anywhere. Good luck!

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
This is my friends 2022 F150 lariat with the 5.5 bed and single piece driveshaft. I just noticed that his axle was shimmed by Ford. His truck was delivered and picked up and has never been back to the dealer. I measured my drive line angles and shimmed just about the same thickness shim to correct 95% of my vibrations.

Ford F-150 22 F-150 Tire Vibration IMG_5445

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
To try to get rid of my vibration I shimmed my rear differential about a degree. It made a world of difference.it was about 90% better but still felt a slight rumble and vibration in the gas pedal. This past weekend I took a 600 mile round trip. The truck bed had every square inch filled and two additional passenger, nowhere near an overload situation. But I had absolutely no pedal vibration or Highway vibration. I have a 2 degree shims sitting here with new u-bolts and nuts. So I’m going to do some measurements and try out the two degree shims. Since the dealer can’t or won’t figure it out maybe I can figure this out and enjoy the truck. It was a pleasure to drive it this holiday weekend. Thank you for your service to the vets on here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
I did the 2 degree shims today with a 1/8 center bearing shim. I replaced the u-bolts and nuts, the test by drive was awesome. I dare say it’s fixed.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Huge respect for your tenacity.

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech

jpsmitty16

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
To try to get rid of my vibration I shimmed my rear differential about a degree. It made a world of difference.it was about 90% better but still felt a slight rumble and vibration in the gas pedal. This past weekend I took a 600 mile round trip. The truck bed had every square inch filled and two additional passenger, nowhere near an overload situation. But I had absolutely no pedal vibration or Highway vibration. I have a 2 degree shims sitting here with new u-bolts and nuts. So I’m going to do some measurements and try out the two degree shims. Since the dealer can’t or won’t figure it out maybe I can figure this out and enjoy the truck. It was a pleasure to drive it this holiday weekend. Thank you for your service to the vets on here.
@NB64 can you be a little more specific with where you shimmed? And with what did you shim the axle? Would it be possible for you to take the picture above and circle where I should be shimming?

Redracer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Retired
One month in and dealer still has my truck. Dealer called today to update me. They said they eliminated the tires/wheels, as they used a known good set off of another truck. They said the driveshaft checked out. Now the tech is using some kind of sensor to detect the vibration. So apparently the tech is using my truck to go back and forth from home. It’s ok if they can figure this out.

Sponsored

Redracer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Retired
One month in and dealer still has my truck. Dealer called today to update me. They said they eliminated the tires/wheels, as they used a known good set off of another truck. They said the driveshaft checked out. Now the tech is using some kind of sensor to detect the vibration. So apparently the tech is using my truck to go back and forth from home. It’s ok if they can figure this out.
I'm new to the group so if i screw up forgive me. I just bought a 2023 STX with 2.7 eco and it has a vibration also. Dealer drove it and said tires but i don't think so, going into dealer again today for further diagnosis.

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
@NB64 can you be a little more specific with where you shimmed? And with what did you shim the axle? Would it be possible for you to take the picture above and circle where I should be shimming?
Before you shim there is two things you can try first. The first is load up the back of your bed with a bunch of stuff to lower the suspension. Then take a ride to see if that helps. If it does then it’s a clue for the dealer. The next would to buy a cheap digital angle finder and take some measurements. I can send you some videos that I found on the internet that I saved.
I ended up torquing my driveshaft bolts ( not torqued to spec)to the pinion flange and replacing the spring bolts that came loose from Ford. I was experiencing a clacking sound from both sides of the leaf springs over uneven surfaces.
I ended up removing the shims and the truck is 98% vibration free. Still a slight vibration in the gas pedal. But I noticed I have an exhaust leak (water leaking from a joint) right under my drivers seat. So I read that someone used the exhaust joint weld on a few joints which solved their pedal vibration. Also I’m going rotate my tires this weekend ( due anyway) then bring the truck to another reputable shop have another road force balance and check alignment.

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
I’m sad to say I didn’t fix the vibration. Once I felt the vibration again I decided to take out the shims put all new unbolts and nuts (oem) and let Ford figure this out. My old dealer wouldn’t even let me make an appointment. They told me they were booked and said they’ll call me. So I bought the truck to another dealer and they were surprised that the other dealer didn’t fix the issue. So far the new dealer said all four tires were out of balance. I called Ford and opened my third case. They never contacted me the past two times. Dealer said definitely something wrong. They played with the pinion angle and it did nothing. They kinda feel this may be a front diff issue. They will continue to follow Ford hotline recommendations until Wednesday. Wednesday they have a Ford field tech coming in for my truck.

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Today I received a call from my New a dealer. They said the Ford field Service tech determined it was the Front driveshaft. So I figured they were going to order it. But I was surprised when he said it was ready to be picked up. They sent someone to go pick one up. On the way home I was able to take it out on the highway. The vibration in the gas pedal was gone at all speeds and I didn’t feel any vibration. I always knew when I hit 69-70 mph. I was also feeling it in the 50 mph range. While I’ve thought it was fixed before I’m giving myself a few days of commuting before I dare to hope.

Gray150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat
I’m also experiencing some intermittent vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal. It seems to come and go at lower speeds, with consistent vibration above 60 mpg. It started at about 700 miles. Possibly related I get some whining/humming from the front when the truck is cold which then goes away after driving a couple miles.

I had the dealer look at it a couple thousand miles ago and they said they could feel the vibration but there was nothing they could do unless something breaks. I was pretty frustrated so I haven't contacted them for awhile. I went to discount tire and had all of the tires balanced recently. Because the whole truck isn’t shaking and I just feel it in the steering wheel and gas pedal my thought was front axle. I’m bringing the truck in for my first oil change at 5k miles in a couple weeks and I’m going to bring up my concerns up again.

Has the new front axle made a difference?
Sponsored